Ashland Performance Materials Reviews

1. Great company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Ashland Performance Materials as an intern

Pros

Great opportunities for advancing your career

Cons

Were very strict with their vacation policy

2. Was a great place to learn.

Current Intern - R&D Intern in Dublin, OH
    Current Intern - R&D Intern in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Ashland Performance Materials as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Encouraged to direct our own workflow, Managers not hovering around asking for project updates, Managers managed effectively without stifling creativity.

Cons

Was put in contact with engineering department management before departing, in anticipation of future employment post-graduation. Contact never responded to resume and cover letter sent during my last semester of school.

Continue the internship program but figure out how to retain the talent you're developing there.

3. One horrific place to work!

Former Employee - Research in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Research in Dublin, OH

I worked at Ashland Performance Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

After almost 20 years of working for Ashland, I can honestly say there's not much good about this company except for a few individual contributors and a couple of technical managers. If you can call it a "pro" they say they pay at the 50th percentile and the benefits match that number as well. For example, back in the 90's, the HR department sent out a survey asking employees to rate Ashland's benefits. The response was very positive, so HR used that as an excuse to reduce the employee's benefits since Ashland's policy was to be "average" in salary and benefits.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for job advancement, even with a PhD. Managers tell their employees that you have to be performing 2 levels beyond your current level to be eligible for a promotion. R&D is caught in a catch-22 with sales/marketing asking for next-gen products, but manufacturing runs the company (and has the last say!) and doesn't want new chemicals brought into the plants; or to make changes to production processes. Technical successes do not necessarily lead to advancements either. I was screwed out of a promotion twice because of grossly incompetent marketing personnel who overpriced new products that I developed and which had incredible performance. Most managers are petty/arrogant (constant in-fighting/bickering between business groups) and use annual performance reviews to beat you down over trivial "weaknesses" to justify why you don't deserve the higher rating/raise you've already earned. All this while demanding that you put in 50-60 hours per week. So much for life/work balance.

Sell this business to Momentive; it would be a good fit with their product offerings and they would run it better; provide better returns to the shareholders.

5. Not trustworthy

Former Employee - Quality Technician in Oak Creek, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Technician in Oak Creek, WI

I worked at Ashland Performance Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The one good thing if any is the health and 401K plans

Cons

Cannot trust anyone in upper management, always leave meetings with a negative feel, nothing gets accomplished.

Learn to hold people accountable for bad decisions, meaning upper management personal should take the hit not the employees who have no say in decision making. You are letting good employee's go and shutting down plants that don't need to be closed. One was mine!

6. Very helpful and accomodating company

Current Contractor - Research Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Contractor - Research Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ashland Performance Materials as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The staff and company overall is very helpful with training or any questions that may arise. The management is efficient but not overbearing. There is also a good level of inter and intra department communication which has proven very helpful when taking on larger projects.

Cons

With a smaller staff the work load for each individual employee is a bit heaveir. However I enjoy taking on projects and new challenges so it is a good fit for me.

7. average

Current Employee - Control Supervisor in Port Arthur, TX
    Current Employee - Control Supervisor in Port Arthur, TX

I have been working at Ashland Performance Materials full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

lot of good workers there.

Cons

No support or follow through from upper management.

do your job

8. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Ashland Performance Materials

Pros

Culture that promotes best performance and gives freedom.

Cons

Very bad system for performance review.

Better performance review system.