Ashland Reviews

Reset
2.9
Ashland Chairman and CEO William A. Wulfsohn
William A. Wulfsohn

Pros
  • It is somewhat flexible work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits with significant HSA contributions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • At times work life balance was not the best (in 4 reviews)

• The upper management is not very supportive to employees (in 6 reviews)

1. North American Fleet Operation Manager

Former Employee - Fleet Regulatory Compliance and Operations Manager in Dublin, OH

I worked at Ashland (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent location to work and great people

Cons

Buy and sell companies to often

Advice to Management

None

2. Good for experiance, not for long term

Former Employee - Production Engineer
    Former Employee - Production Engineer

I worked at Ashland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting products. Gained alot of experience, and kept an older plant running well. Very complex processes that offer many opportunities for growth. Great people at the plant level.

Cons

Very low compensation. Even with stellar performance reviews, received less than 6% total in raises over 4 years. Good starter job to learn the ins and outs of production engineering but not worth it in the long run, other companies are offering 20-30% more money for less responsibility.

Advice to Management

You're a specialty chemical company with tremendous margins and an aging workforce. If you don't wake up and pay the younger engineers every single one of them will jump ship and you'll be left with no one who knows how to run your plants.

3. Production Tech

I worked at Ashland full-time

Pros

Ashland acquired the plant and spent money to make repairs and improvements. Most of the plant procedures and methods were kept intact as well as the pay.

Cons

A few years after the plant was acquired, it was shutdown and dismantled.

5. Good place to work

I worked at Ashland

Pros

BU Diversity, People, Do it right the first time.

Cons

Size, Integration, Project Pace, Recent Divestment Strategy

6. Mediocre but it is a job

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ashland

Pros

They provide decent pay for technical employees In general I have good co-workers

Cons

Lacking in innovation and support for exploratory research All decisions are top down Equipment is limited Office and Laboratory are dated There is very little autonomy

7. Accountant II

Former Employee - Plant Controller in Kenedy, TX
    Former Employee - Plant Controller in Kenedy, TX

I worked at Ashland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work and life balance. Good standing in the community. Ashland encourages community service so there is a lot of opportunities to contribute to causes within the community.

Cons

Ashland recently merged with ISP and two years prior acquired Hercules so there has been a lot of management shifts. The recent round of lay offs affected almost every aspect of management, HR and accounting and finance. Ashland management outlines goals and mission statement but some of their implementation is faulty. Lack of cohesive leadership makes it hard to feel a part of the company.

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting your employees. Morale is very low because management is fickle and the plant personnel see accounting and management teams leave only to be replaced by novices in this industry. Confidence is low because management does not improve infrastructure that is old but pour tons of money into a location only to abandon it. Stop the dysfunction.

8. Exceedingly Average Office Environment

I have been working at Ashland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours in some-most departments, Amenities include in-house gym, cafeteria, style shop (hair salon), Acceptable (not great) health insurance, dental, vision, 401k, New CEO (2015) may improve the company.

Cons

Departments in a business unit work like silos when they should work as a team for the betterment of everybody and the customers. In Valvoline, VIOC is very important and gets lots of attention, while the rest of what makes up Valvoline seems to be forgotten, including the other sales. "Developing our people" is always talked about like its important, but it's important only from the top down. There are career development practices and activities in place for the upper levels! Communication leaves lots to be desired in this, the golden age of information. When offices were closed over the winter for snow, we were told there would not be an announcement on local TV. No. Instead, you should expect to get a text message from your boss. How is that quick and efficient?

9. Best Company

I worked at Ashland

Pros

Employees had a voice and input

Cons

they sold my division. No fault of Ashland. They had a plan and they have executed tremendously well

Advice to Management

listen to sales. They understand the markets and although may not have a complete picture from and MNA perspective can provide insights into direction based on market perception

Previous Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Assonet, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Assonet, MA

I worked at Ashland full-time

Pros

"Little People" are nice to deal with and understand your same frustrations. The pay is very good if you are willing to work the horrible hours scheduled. And there is a good amount of overtime available if you are willing to work it.

Cons

The management is horrible. Very inexperienced in the industry as well as in a leadership position. The company does not provide any documentation such as dress codes, handbooks, etc. so when you need to verify information you can only access it while working. Company tends to make up their own policies as seen fit to please themselves regardless of the corporate policies. You are basically treated as "monkeys" (a lovely term that many of the supervisors have called the "little people" and do not care that we know). Your opinion does not matter based on any level of experience you have and there is very little if none at all, room to grow or learn. This company may be good for a first job but I do not recommend it at all regardless of the situation you may be in. Many reading these may feel that most bad reviews are from disgruntled ex-employees, however trust me, I give every person and company an honest and fair try before judging. After working this company for a short time it is easy to see that they have many more cons then pros. Benefits are not that good compared to other employers worked. You are not offered STD or LTD, and they do not honor or match the 401K until after you have been there for a year. If you are looking for a company that respects their employees and shows a little appreciation, this is not your company. It is not a large company so you are not a number, but you are also not a priority. They expect several years commitment, and give you even less respect if you leave before that. My last day that I saw one of the higher supervisors, he shook my hand and said "it was nice to have you for the short time, but now that you have screwed us and are leaving, I guess good luck". How grown-up and appropriate? Anyways, to each their own opinion, but that should not have been said by a supervisor ever.

Advice to Management

Not sure there is any advice to give. The company is not the best by any means. Perhaps hire people who care about the business and that insist that it has to become a better place for people to work at and be treated. Hire managers with management experience and managers who are willing to support and stand up for their employees no matter what or who they have to talk to. I understand that in the management positions there are a lot of politics occurring, however if your employees never feel like you have their backs, you will not earn the respect you think you deserve.

11. Limited growth opportunities and underemployed.

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Ashland (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent vacation time, flexible work hours, gym membership options, limited phone calls from external or internal contacts, can walk on trail outside building.

Cons

Sexist environment, limited communication, dated office, inactive HR department, limited career growth options, cheap cafeteria, hard work is not recognized and employees are not compensated for extra responsibility.

Advice to Management

Future career development and contingency plans should be established. Involve all employees in decision discussions.

RSS Feed </> Embed