Ashland

www.ashland.com

Ashland Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Ashland – Covington – “Ashland Inc”

Ashland Chairman and CEO Jim O'Brien Jr.

Jim O'Brien Jr.

Pros
  • It is somewhat flexible work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, similar to industry averages(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management is not very supportive to employees(in 5 reviews)

• Performance reviews are not entirely fair and there is not much recognition for a strong performer(in 3 reviews)

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsPeople are wonderful! Management pushes internal promotion.

ConsHard to adjust to constant buying and selling of companies.

Not the best but pays the bills

Account Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsNo one knows anything so you can make up things the way you want

ConsCheap when it comes to bonus, they will find ways to shrink your bonus pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company to a better management if you are too weak to stand up against activist investors.

Good place to work if you do not value your career or want to progress

ProsPeople are generally nice and good to work with.

ConsExtremely difficult to progress unless you become part of the "good old boys network". Way too many policies and procedures, takes forever to get anything done. Salary and benefits are not the best. Poor personal vs. work life balance. Re-orgs and/or layoffs seem to come around every 18-24 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your people and be open minded to change! Management from the top down needs a serious wake up call.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dominated by personal wealth attainment among senior mgmt; employee base treated as a corporate liability.

Manager (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsThere is a broad range of positions available, from pure research to manufacturing, back office and commercial. Well networked employees should be able to achieve mobility across this structure to develop a broad skill set and diverse resume.

ConsAshland's employee self serve center, HR2U, is more commonly known as "HR s(rew you", which is not an unjustified characterization of Ashland's treatment of current and former employees. Decision processes are dominated by top-down autocracy, so if you prefer being a gofer or puppet it's an ok place to work, but if you expect an inclusive decisions making environment, this isn't the right employer for you. Probably an ok place for clerks; not a good place for mid level supervisor or manager development. Cronyism, so blatantly unchecked in the recent (2014) reorganization, occurs all too frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute processes to ensure inclusive decision making; so often I have witnessed an employee base executing against a plan that they actively discuss won't work. They know what would work, but there is no mechanism to influence the direction; listen to your employees! Implement 360 degree reviews for all leadership positions (to the highest levels). Insist on evidence that cronyism and autocracy are not happening; don't just go through the motions of a process that is purported to reduce their occurrence.

Good company

Director of Marketing (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsMuch upward mobility and many different divisions if you have the desire to work hard, put in a lot of hours, and learn new things

ConsThose who succeed give a lot of personal time and sweat equity to the company. Sometimes the nature of a matrix organization makes it difficult to determine who the decisionmaker really is.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for talent

Things seem positive at AWT/Solenis

Service Engineer III (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsA great place to work if you are willing to raise your hand. Very positive attitude about the sale of AWT and going forward it seems AWT will be better off without Ashland.

ConsMUCH turmoil over the last several years. Hopefully this will slow down as New Company emerges.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your staff!!

Ashland

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

Proswas a stable company to work for

Conscurrently not heading in the right direction

Advice to Senior Managementget focused

Short attention span at Ashland.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt the lower levels, some great bosses.

ConsUpper management and HR have a very short attention span are uncaring and borderline competent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to at least look at the end of quarter!

Good place to start

Staff Scientist (Current Employee) Bridgewater, NJ

ProsIt was reasonable pay and work life balance was good. People are very friendly and helpful.

ConsThe upper management is not very supportive to employees.

Are you kidding me???

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone - "last minute" notice of projects. Work day & night. Constant "busy bodies" - what would be a "pro" about this???

ConsConstant lies from HR & management. Bad benefits - they advise that you will get this whole portfolio of benefits but they are never really there. No sick pay - no short term disability - watch out!! Bad pay. 1% increases. Talk a lot about how everyone gets a bonus or what they call "Total Rewards". But as their stock price triples, they jack the numbers around so no Total Reward $ is paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "old boys/girls" network from in Ashland Ky. Their leadership is a joke.
    Get rid of HR2U - constant lies. No employee satisfaction.

Worked for Ashland? Contribute to the Community!