Ashley Ellis

Updated November 30, 2014
Updated November 30, 2014
2.3

CEO

They where very informative.

I worked at Ashley Ellis

Pros

They have very experienced personal that make your job much easier.

Cons

There was a lot of people that needed to be involved with all the day to day planning and procurement.

Trust more in your staff that has been put together by management.

A starter job at most. Turnover is crazy.

Former Employee - IT Search
    Former Employee - IT Search

I worked at Ashley Ellis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of people your age. Casual. Fast paced. It is a starter job and nothing more. You gain professional experience here and move onto a bigger better company. You have the ability to honestly make good money but the support isn't there to get you to that point.

Cons

100% Micro-managed. They will tell you its all about the result of your work, not the number of dials you make. Incorrect. If you do not make exactly the number of calls they want (whether you're making money or not) you will be scolded and your job probably threatened. The only resources you are given to succeed is a phone and a computer. You generate 100% of your leads. Initial database was ancient and very buggy. Moved us to a new database, was told to teach yourself, 2 months later they got rid of the database and put us back on the old one, thus losing all information inputted during those 2 months. Training includes a week of someone talking at you about how their 30 year old methods work, etc, etc and then you're off. The "trainer" leaves and you're on your own. You're told to just start calling and you'll figure it out. The turnover is so high you don't have someone to look to as a mentor. The most senior people in the office have been there barely a year. (usually less). Have talked to upper management about issues and concerns and they say they will address it and you never hear of it again. I worked at AE for almost a year and half and saw at least 10 people come and go. Turnover is insane. Two managers left within 6 months and they were never replaced.

Support your employees. Take their opinions and concerns seriously. The turnover is too high to sit back and hope things pan out. Train your employees better. You cant just hope they'll catch on. That's not a business. Better database. Salesforce or something. Send new people to a successful office to show them that you can be successful. Don't just tell them and hope they believe it. Threatening someone's job every other week is not a proper motivational technique

Oct 20, 2014Marketing Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns. As you know, our company has been undergoing many significant changes over the last couple of years, and we recognize that this can ... More

Horrible work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Ashley Ellis part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed receiving a pay check on a weekly basis, besides that, I have nothing nice to say.

Cons

Where do I start?
    1. The office is very unorganized. Papers are everywhere and personal files are always missing. There's even a drawer that could be used as paperwork over flow that is being used to hold old telephones instead.
    2. Upper management roll their eyes and huff and puff when you ask for help on certain things.
    3. Tensions are high because employees never know when they may get let go.

Be more professional. Don't "fire" your employees without notice over the phone. Also, when they ask for help or how to do a certain task, don't roll your eyes.

Oct 6, 2014Marketing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We know there has been a lot of internal change at our company lately, and while our goal is to empower a team of passionate employees to work towards ... More

Dreadful- Happy Days are OVER

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Ashley Ellis full-time

Pros

This used to be the best place to work! Key phrase: "USED TO BE" The pro's as of lately, you quickly realize how great other companies and cultures are. It is pretty bad when the entire office has been quoted saying to candidates or clients, "wow, that culture sounds amazing, those benefits are great, why don't we have that here, or can I come work for you?" If you enjoy having knots in your stomach everyday at work, dreading the work week, getting micromanaged, being talked to like your a child, being manipulated, being surrounded by gossiping queens, and a ton of unnecessary drama... then this is your place! There are still a few individuals that are left there that are good people, but for the most part, this is not a place you want to start your career or change positions to join.

Cons

The company is crumbling quickly. This used to be a great environment, culture was ideal, and overall just a fun place to work. That all changed so quickly over the past year when inexperienced and unprofessional individuals were promoted within management roles and started making very important decisions for the company. The morale across the entire company plummeted and sales dropped tremendously. When we as a team, came together to voice our concerns to upper management about the morale and reasons for the changes, we simply were ignored. No changes were made, a band aid was put on the issue. As we all know, band aids quickly fall off and the issues are still, eating away at the company and the employees that make the company successful. Within months, one by one the office filled with talented individuals who were "the bread and butter" for the office left to move on to big and better opportunities where they will be appreciated, heard, and valued for their hard work. The ones still standing are the ones that ruined it for everyone.
    If you are currently interviewing here, I would be very cautious at what they are telling you in the interview process. The key strengths to one of the managers there is manipulation. You will like them at first thinking they have your best interest but they will quickly turn on you.

If this review does nothing for you, I would definitely keep up to date on the financial aspects of the company. This company is under the umbrella of General Employment Enterprises and can be found by looking up their stock code JOB. Do your research before joining the company!

Listen to your employees when they come to you about issues. Have individuals within senior levels and management roles that actually know what they are doing and have some business knowledge.

Oct 2, 2014Marketing Director

Thank you for sharing your experience. As a company, we're always striving to improve, and so we genuinely appreciate feedback. We understand that there has been internal change at our company ... More

Not Well

Former Employee - IT Search Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Search Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ashley Ellis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can get promoted quickly, many people have quit, creating room for promotions regardless of ability. No one seems to ever get fired. In fact, I’ve heard there are dozens of recruiters milking the base for years that rarely produce and never get fired here. So if you do and want to be promoted to a manager, this is the company for you.

Cons

The new executive management has no recruiting industry experience; in fact it looks like the CEO has never been a CEO. Many services are being shut off, rent is not being paid according to the landlord, sales are plummeting, and people keep quitting. Yes I am one of them. I could no longer come in to work and watch the abusive ways of the leaders. In fact, an entire office walked off the job not too long ago. People have been promoted and hired which you would think is a good thing. However the people promoted and hired, (which we were told were the experts) have not brought in any business for almost a year. I don’t get it, why is the company paying big salaries to people who can’t bring in any business and then reducing the commission program for the recruiters who are producing?

So, overall the best people are quitting, and the people who bill the least and being paid the most are staying. Really? Go somewhere else.

Treat people well, don’t lie to them, provide them the tools they need to be successful, don’t make the non-compete plan more aggressive and tell us it’s better for us. And please stop telling us there is plenty of money when the losses are huge and vendors are talking about not being paid by the company. Clearly the plan is not working otherwise the number of people leaving would be shrinking not growing.

Oct 2, 2014Marketing Director

Thank you for sharing your experience. As a company, we are always striving for improvement, and are actively making changes to address and resolve your concerns. We understand that there has been ... More

Great company, great people

Former Employee - Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ashley Ellis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the people there. Its a great environment to work in, very fast paced and lots of interactions. Management challenges you and offers excellent training while allowing you independence to get things done.

Cons

This can be a high turnover environment but sometimes that can be a good thing if you don't like certain people. There is a lot of calling so if you aren't a person that enjoys talking to lots of different people throughtout the day, it might not be a great fit.

I enjoyed my time as Ashley Ellis and it really launched my career. Continue the great trainings and keep hiring top notch people!

Oct 2, 2014Marketing Director

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We're excited to be working with a passionate team of employees, and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you also for discussing your concerns, as this ... More

Run!

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at Ashley Ellis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

entry level opportunity to go elsewhere

Cons

negative atmosphere,Very very Micro-Managed, Everything you do is looked upon, first 3 months saw one person leave every month. very high turnover

stop micromanaging

Oct 2, 2014Marketing Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback and bringing up your concerns. As our company moves towards a positive future, we're working hard to ensure that we meet and exceed the expectations of all current ... More

Stressful, walking on eggshells all the time

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Ashley Ellis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to learn the recruiting industry from the ground up
    Great training program for entry level recruiters
    Job stability
    Tenure- many of the employees had been there for a long time... at least up until 2010 when everything completely fell apart.

Cons

Very negative and old school atmosphere. Management didn't have a forward thinking attitude.

Oct 2, 2014Marketing Director

Thank you for taking to time to share your concerns. As a company, we strive to improve on a constant basis, and your feedback allows us to ensure we provide all current and future employees with a ... More

Recruiter

Former Employee - IT Search Executive in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - IT Search Executive in Naperville, IL

I worked at Ashley Ellis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ashley Ellis gives you the opportunity to make a career out of a Job. This position really weeds out the lazy and ineffective. You will learn to be a recruiter and the team that supports you will help you get there but you need to put in the work.
    There are major changes happening at Ashley Ellis and if you are committed to your own success then you will have it.

You will be given all the tools it is your choice to take it.

Cons

The only bad thing about this job is that it will make your personal weaknesses very clear to everyone. If you don't stay on the phone and worry about what everyone else is doing you will not be successful and to be honest those are the people who feel that they have been mistreated.
    If you don't see this as an opportunity to grow professionally as well as personally then it is not the job for you.

Keep going with the changes!

Oct 2, 2014Marketing Director

We genuinely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. As a company, we place high value on giving our employees the opportunity to grow in their careers and truly succeed. We also ... More

If you are smart you will run away, fast!!!

Current Employee - IT Search Executive
    Current Employee - IT Search Executive

I have been working at Ashley Ellis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work with some cool people.
    Play music while you are working.
    They will hire anyone, so if you are in desperate need here is your place.

Cons

Some of the most unprofessional management and senior recruiters you will ever work with. They bring you in at an extremely low wage, and by low you are making $9.75/ hour (19K / Year), and after taxes and medical your pay check is $275 a week!

You are constantly told to be on the phone making sales call or calling candidates, but then you will look around to see that the Branch Manager and Senior Recruiters are never making calls; they are usually surfing the internet for the hottest deals on shoes or purses. The senior recruiters do whatever they want, and while you are on the phone, they are on the job boards or LinkedIn searching for candidates, but you are told that every person in the office follows the same schedule?

Do not expect to have any time during the day to do any research, gather leads, etc. because that is what you are told to do when you get home from work. That's right, you work all day, then they expect you to keep working long after you leave the office....they don't mention that part in the interview.

When you interview they will tell you how much money you are going to make by working there, but in reality you are barely making any money. The senior management is barely getting by, because everyone who works at Ashley Ellis is desperate for every penny they can get, that's what happens when you work for 19K a year.

In regards to the work environment, you will never be in a cliquier place in your entire life; it is like being back in high school. You will constantly watch employees who are "buddy buddy" with the managers get special treatment.

Treat all employees equally

Oct 2, 2014Marketing Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Over the last several months, we have been actively making changes that address your specific concerns so that we can ensure a positive and ... More