Ashley Furniture

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ashley Furniture President and CEO Todd Wanek

Todd Wanek

Pros
  • I like that it is an easy flow work environment(in 9 reviews)

• Fast paced, enjoyable staff and upper managment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want any work life balance you won't find it here(in 6 reviews)

• Productivity is sluggish caused by the companies greed and lack professionalism in unqualified upper management(in 8 reviews)

Sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt allows you to sell more due to commissions.

ConsIt has you selling on a team and commissions are shared ,and this is not good,due to all team members do not pull their weight in selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo stop the team sell approach and help associates with closing individually.

Great if you love overtime, little chance for advancement or job satisfaction

Security Officer (Former Employee) Arcadia, WI

ProsI worked in Ashley Furniture's Health and Safety department as a security officer. Pros included the amount of overtime (assuming you want to work a lot of overtime, this could be a negative), and the pay increase that the department received in the middle of 2013. The job is fast paced, and there is a certain degree of independence, especially if you work overnights.

ConsCons are a lack of support from management, making less money than supervisors but being expected to guide them and tell them what to do, the amount of work on overnights with NO backup or coverage except your one partner, and being expected to work on a whim whenever someone else wants a day off or calls in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you've lost your passion, then move on. Certain members of management above the security officers clearly had no love for their job, and this morale-killing mood trickled down to the rest of the department. They should also treat their subordinates with more respect than they do. This is a private company, and you can tell, as management gets away with yelling/threatening employees, something they could never do if it was a public company.

Fast Growth, Fast Pace, High expectations

Corporate Office (Former Employee) Arcadia, WI

ProsHuge opportunity for advancement by showing what you can do, as long as your willing to work hard for it. Company is committed to keeping its workforce working and the company growing. Privately owned so it can make decisions quickly.

ConsNot a place for you if you want an easy pace. You will either keep up and grow, or you will be out (or at least, want to be out). Benefits are minimally competitive and there can be strict workplace rules that may make you think you're stuck in the '70s.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in growing the company and ensuring those that want to work will have jobs to work at. Not all benefits cost significant money and some of these can be very family friendly. Rename the 'Permission to Miss' request form!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenge of a lifetime

Computer Programmer (Former Employee) Arcadia, WI

ProsContinuing, constant challenges in the IT departments.
    Lots of room for growth and adoption of proper IT practices.
    New Technology
    Massive Infrastructure
    Lots of Problems to work on
    Lots of development work

ConsUnderstaffed which causes tons of other problems

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit appointing clueless people to director level positions, nice people are not the only attribute to leadership. Develop a backbone as the business is not the only player in town, especially when short staffed.
    Hire the proper amount of people to get the job done right the first time, rework effort is ridiculous
    Get real project managers

Director

Director (Current Employee) Arcadia, WI

ProsMany opportunities to gain experience in various departments and business units, including international opportunities. Fast-paced, goal-oriented environment.

ConsZero work life balance. The owners expect overtime every week for anyone who is on salary, including nights and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut of touch with current trends with human resource best practices on employee engagement. Need to provide better compensation considering the expected long hours. Need to provide a flexible work schedule and work from home options.

A bad experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC

ProsGood commission with bonuses

ConsWork life balance could be a lot better

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter work life balance

Worst furniture sales job!

Salesman (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsCentral location paid weekly some health care some dental not much else they will hire anybody if you are desperate or need a temporary job

Cons50 hour work week ! Mandatory!! they say that they pay you on written then back out by saying no layaways even if paid in full ! No summary of sales with your check! Just a "trust us we paid you! "Total jerks from ownership on down. Worst customer service personnel , they look like walmart cashiers! No paid vacation! no holidays ! no sick time ! yet hours are from 9:15 to 8 pm daily! What a lousy job, I lasted 6 months only because I needed the referral for a loan. Do yourself a favor and avoid these losers at all costs!

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st century and balance work with life! Pay your people what you would want to be paid or forget it! Making a good living for a few at the expense of the many is a sure guarantee of afterlife hell!! See Walton's!!

Totally 1930's treatment of employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood chance to learn if you're willing to work 60 hours plus for a 30 hour salary.

ConsMost everything including employee treatment.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st century in managing employees

Your Job Is Your Life

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsIt's a job. The sales people I worked with were all pretty nice. It was close to home.

ConsFifty hour work weeks. Every weekend, Saturday 8am-8pm, weekdays 10am 8pm. If you want any work life balance you won't find it here. If the pay was even semi decent it's one thing but according to a survey the average sales person makes 33,000 per year in commissions. It's very much like selling cars. You have 16 people working on a Saturday and every person is in the computer and have to wait till there name comes up to see a potential customer. You'd better sell something because either way when your finished with your customer your back at the end of the line. A lot of sitting around, 2-3 hours at a time till you get another customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople have a life. Most are working to live and not living to work. Combined with the hours and poor pay management should have a clue as to why the turnover rate is so high.

I was asked to lie to customers

Furniture Sales Associate (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsThe pay was better than unemployment. The training was OK

ConsVery unhappy customers. We were told to tell the customers that the furniture was American made. While some of it was, the majority of the furniture was imported from Asian countries. We were force to sell insurance policies, which were service agreements that are rarely honored. If we failed to meet quotas, we were written up with the threat of termination. I was asked to work off the clock and perform housekeeping after hours. The stress was just too much to bear.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and honesty, and do not ask them to lie to customers.

Worked for Ashley Furniture? Contribute to the Community!