Ashley Furniture Reviews

167 reviews filtered by
2.5
Ashley Furniture President and CEO Todd Wanek
Todd Wanek

Pros
  • I like that it is an easy flow work environment (in 10 reviews)

• Fast paced, enjoyable staff and upper managment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want any work life balance you won't find it here (in 6 reviews)

• In general the attitude of upper management is focused on working longer than your designated shift (in 10 reviews)

1. Not a great company to work for, not flexible with schedule, and no compassion from management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ashley Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay went up one dollar per hour after 30 days of working there.

Cons

Contradictory requests; expect excellent customer service and to fulfill needs while keeping calls short. Impossible.
    Management lied about time for religious accommodation, after 6 months still no Sunday off. Told me if I didn't show up again they would understand.

Don't lie to employee in the interview. Make accommodation for religious beliefs and be honest about expectations with time off for exercise of those beliefs. I could have easily went on to the next job if I would have known religious discrimination was going to be a concern.

2. More Processes, Less Power Claps

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Brandon, FL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Brandon, FL

I worked at Ashley Furniture as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

**This applies to Ashley Furniture HQ in Brandon, FL. Experiences may vary elsewhere**

Lots of free food.

Name recognition.

It's not Wisconsin.

Cons

No Processes - There are almost no processes. Employees save vital documents on their desktops, rather than company servers. One simple task requires the (conflicting) input and approval of at least 8 different people (but never the same 8 people). Crucial instructions not given until after a project is nearly complete. Different departments do not work well together.

Power claps - Every week, employees gather round and listen to sales managers discuss how amazing sales in their regions are. Announcements punctuated by power claps, which is really just brisk clapping. A silly waste of time.

Wanekisms - There is a floor-to-ceiling banner listing the folksy quotes of AFI founder, Ron Wanek. Employees encouraged to muse over the meanings of the dear leader's quotes and then discuss in all-company meetings.

Pay for Contractors: Payroll is in Ashley Furniture's OTHER headquarters in Arcadia, Wisconsin. If you're a contractor in Florida, good luck getting paid in a timely fashion, and good luck getting a tax form at the end of the year.

Wing House girls: Dear leader and owner of Ashley Furniture, Ron Wanek, also owns the Wing House restaurant chain. Every now and the girls come to the office in their sexy costumes and serve employees. This is awkward all around.

3. Culture of mistrust

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

reward great performance with advancement

Cons

poor vacation policy and unfriendly culture

5. Good company

I have been working at Ashley Furniture

Pros

Fun fast paced job. Good pay

Cons

Commit and there will be no cons

6. Ok Company

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

decent commission structure, fun and energetic work environment

Cons

long hours, poor management, work life balance is non existent

Worst employer I've ever worked for . . .

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ashley Furniture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I worked there (although policy now changed), they had sales people working 4 days on, then 3 days off. I liked the long weekends. Made a couple of good friends, with whom I still am in regular contact.

Also, great Kaiser medical coverage, which turned out to be a real lifesaver in many respects.

Cons

These are just my initial thoughts. Will have more to add later.

Lack of integrity permeated the entire company, seemingly originating from the top and trickling all the way down. Examples, certain "pet" associates were afforded the ability to steal sales on an ongoing basis.

Forced to work extra hours without being paid. This was under the duress of being fired. Types of overtimes tasks, all performed off-the-clock, included vacuuming, dusting with rags and pledge, lifting heavy, bulky furniture to hide electrical cords, cleaning mirrors, dusting, etc. Worst was having to brush furniture to create new, uniform look for next sales day.

It was an entirely commission-based position, and one of the problems was that there was no way to verify what your commissions should actually be. There was a complete lack of transparency, and the company could skew your sales figures by means that were outside of your control, such as by delivering furniture on completed sales outside of the window of time in which they were sold.

See the above. Will add more specifics later.

8. Don't expect anything HR tells you

Current Employee - Assembler in Arcadia, WI
    Current Employee - Assembler in Arcadia, WI

I have been working at Ashley Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No weekends for 2nd shift

Cons

if you have a problem with your supervisor nothing will happen. You will run around in circles. The only reason they are so big is they put up factories in small towns so everyone will work there.

Do something about complaints from employees

9. Great comany to work for.

Current Employee - Summer Help in Arcadia, WI
    Current Employee - Summer Help in Arcadia, WI

I have been working at Ashley Furniture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, awesome benefits, and good people.

Cons

Vacation days are limited but you can usually get the days off you need.

Best in the Industry

I have been working at Ashley Furniture

Pros

Good money and product line

Cons

Little communication and direction for sales

To many changes in policy and direction.

11. Demand Planner

Current Employee - Demand Planner in Arcadia, WI
    Current Employee - Demand Planner in Arcadia, WI

I have been working at Ashley Furniture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ownership is very involved, knowledgeable, and personable. Most of the front line I have worked with as well as upper management are very qualified and care about their employees. Improvement and adapting to change that aids in improving the organization are emphasized shows the organization is focused on staying competitive for the long term. Company initiatives are communicated well so employees feel engaged and valued.

Cons

Training is very good in some departments and very limited in others. Advancement opportunities are relatively limited in many departments since company growth has been very modest for the past 5 years.