Ashley Furniture Reviews

171 reviews filtered by
2.5
Ashley Furniture President and CEO Todd Wanek
Todd Wanek

Pros
  • I like that it is an easy flow work environment (in 10 reviews)

• Fast paced, enjoyable staff and upper managment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want any work life balance you won't find it here (in 6 reviews)

• In general the attitude of upper management is focused on working longer than your designated shift (in 10 reviews)

1. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Orange, CA

I have been working at Ashley Furniture full-time

Pros

In the Santa Ana location the atmosphere is excellent. As a team we work together not against each other. Our sales Manager Mo is awesome he exceeds to get us sales.

Cons

None I can think about

2. supervisor

Former Employee - Second Level Supervisor in Ripley, MS
    Former Employee - Second Level Supervisor in Ripley, MS

I worked at Ashley Furniture (Less than a year)

Pros

given opportunities to demonstrate my leadership and communication skills with great benefits and also given opportunities for promotion

Cons

working with unskilled and professional supervisors that causes problems for workers to demonstrate their full potential to become a valuable asset to the company

Advice to Management

train supervisors to demonstrate leadership abilities within the workforce to accomplish the quota that has been set by the company.

3. Not a great company to work for, not flexible with schedule, and no compassion from management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ashley Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay went up one dollar per hour after 30 days of working there.

Cons

Contradictory requests; expect excellent customer service and to fulfill needs while keeping calls short. Impossible.
    Management lied about time for religious accommodation, after 6 months still no Sunday off. Told me if I didn't show up again they would understand.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employee in the interview. Make accommodation for religious beliefs and be honest about expectations with time off for exercise of those beliefs. I could have easily went on to the next job if I would have known religious discrimination was going to be a concern.

5. Visual Merchandiser

I worked at Ashley Furniture part-time

Pros

Merchandising part was fun, employees are very nice

Cons

Corporate’s rude, unprofessional, lack of communication, fires without reason, takes 5 days to get your last check when by law it cant exceed 3.

Advice to Management

communication is key
    know your laws

6. More Processes, Less Power Claps

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Brandon, FL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Brandon, FL

I worked at Ashley Furniture as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

**This applies to Ashley Furniture HQ in Brandon, FL. Experiences may vary elsewhere**

Lots of free food.

Name recognition.

It's not Wisconsin.

Cons

No Processes - There are almost no processes. Employees save vital documents on their desktops, rather than company servers. One simple task requires the (conflicting) input and approval of at least 8 different people (but never the same 8 people). Crucial instructions not given until after a project is nearly complete. Different departments do not work well together.

Power claps - Every week, employees gather round and listen to sales managers discuss how amazing sales in their regions are. Announcements punctuated by power claps, which is really just brisk clapping. A silly waste of time.

Wanekisms - There is a floor-to-ceiling banner listing the folksy quotes of AFI founder, Ron Wanek. Employees encouraged to muse over the meanings of the dear leader's quotes and then discuss in all-company meetings.

Pay for Contractors: Payroll is in Ashley Furniture's OTHER headquarters in Arcadia, Wisconsin. If you're a contractor in Florida, good luck getting paid in a timely fashion, and good luck getting a tax form at the end of the year.

Wing House girls: Dear leader and owner of Ashley Furniture, Ron Wanek, also owns the Wing House restaurant chain. Every now and the girls come to the office in their sexy costumes and serve employees. This is awkward all around.

Culture of mistrust

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

reward great performance with advancement

Cons

poor vacation policy and unfriendly culture

Sweat shop like conditions.

Former Employee - Manufacturer in Leesport, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturer in Leesport, PA

I worked at Ashley Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of over-time, 30 minute lunch. Good exercise. Hot food truck at every break time. Once a year company picnic.

Cons

Very few English speaking co-workers. No recognition of hard work. Very little opportunity for advancement. Very hard to get any vacation time off paid or unpaid (frowned upon)

Advice to Management

Wages need to be raised and fair. They need to care about their employees. They need to have better vacation time set in place. Supervisors need to not be so rude to employees.

9. Good company

I have been working at Ashley Furniture

Pros

Fun fast paced job. Good pay

Cons

Commit and there will be no cons

10. Ok Company

I worked at Ashley Furniture

Pros

decent commission structure, fun and energetic work environment

Cons

long hours, poor management, work life balance is non existent

Worst employer I've ever worked for . . .

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ashley Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I worked there (although policy now changed), they had sales people working 4 days on, then 3 days off. I liked the long weekends. Made a couple of good friends, with whom I still am in regular contact.

Also, great Kaiser medical coverage, which turned out to be a real lifesaver in many respects.

Cons

These are just my initial thoughts. Will have more to add later.

Lack of integrity permeated the entire company, seemingly originating from the top and trickling all the way down. Examples, certain "pet" associates were afforded the ability to steal sales on an ongoing basis.

Forced to work extra hours without being paid. This was under the duress of being fired. Types of overtimes tasks, all performed off-the-clock, included vacuuming, dusting with rags and pledge, lifting heavy, bulky furniture to hide electrical cords, cleaning mirrors, dusting, etc. Worst was having to brush furniture to create new, uniform look for next sales day.

It was an entirely commission-based position, and one of the problems was that there was no way to verify what your commissions should actually be. There was a complete lack of transparency, and the company could skew your sales figures by means that were outside of your control, such as by delivering furniture on completed sales outside of the window of time in which they were sold.

Advice to Management

See the above. Will add more specifics later.