Asian Development Bank

Asian Development Bank Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Consultant working on several international projects

I have been working at Asian Development Bank full-time

ProsGood to work with, good support in the field, and helpful on contract management

ConsBureaucratic, can take a long time to get a project moving due to the slowness of development partners

Advice to Senior ManagementBe selective in who you choose for consultant positions

Rewarding, interesting work and collegial atmosphere. Good place if you can stand the bureaucracy and living in Manila.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Asian Development Bank

ProsWell-respected institution in Asia. Some high-caliber, motivated staff. Comfortable expat packages. Opportunities to advance quickly if you have a good boss.

ConsCumbersome processes so one spends more time writing memos and lobbying for projects internally than making projects better for clients externally. Some dysfunctional departments. Powerful, insular HR that seems to make decisions that don't make sense.

Overall, ADB is a good place to work

I have been working at Asian Development Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsBest cafeteria in town, cheap lunch available, great working environment

Consdifficult expat bosses, salary taxable for Filipino and American staff

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more people-oriented, increase current salaries and benefits of AS.NS

My experience work as consultant in ADB

International Development Consultant (Former Employee)
Male (Maldives)

I worked at Asian Development Bank as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSimple administration and reporting. Responsive staff for resolving problems.

Consunclear term of reference. No preliminary team established as consultant counterpart to proceed the activity.

Advice to Senior Managementestablished a small team consist of government team to review the TOR before the consultant start working.

Very rewarding experience

Investment Specialist (Former Employee)
Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I worked at Asian Development Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsExposure to very interesting projects

ConsPSOD is very small part of the Bank

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the size of PSOD and acquire more transaction and advisory expertise in the Public Sector divisions

Phenominal

Director (Former Employee)
Lucknow (India)

I worked at Asian Development Bank full-time for less than a year

Prosgood work culture; had an opportuntiy to work with a senior public health specialist, who taught me to do in-depth analysis of issues.

ConsI have not faced any problems during my work tenure

Advice to Senior ManagementMy work was discussed with the DGM, and he liked it and have taken it further to work with the health ministers of Mekong region.

ADB is a "Good Client"

Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Asian Development Bank as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWell established procedures and clearly defined scope of work.
Well funded - invoice payment is never a problem, as long as the paperwork is done correctly in advance.

ConsVery strict compliance to procedures can be restrictive. Corrections to clerical errors and contract modifications can take a long time. Overall on par with or better than other donor agencies.
Can be difficult to meet very strict personnel requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more flexibility for the engagement of consultants at the project level, including the evaluation of relevant experience in lieu of educational requirements.

ADB

I have been working at Asian Development Bank

Prosplace to try to do some good-through developmental loans, cofinancing, project finance, and so on.
international workforce, with most OECD countries represented

ConsThe place is a large bureaucracy and decision-making can take a long time. But this is true for most sizable organizations

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to try to further streamline processes and cut red tape, inefficiencies, and other things that could make the workplace better

Excellent place to work - long term and short term both

Principal Specialist (Current Employee)
Manila, Mindoro Oriental (Philippines)

I have been working at Asian Development Bank

ProsGreat work culture, excellent professional staff, attractive perquisites and tax free salary, influential job having impact on policy advice to governments of client countries, and very good career potential and attractive pension policy. Great learning is possible

ConsCareer growth can be flat compared to the investment banks and there may sometimes be politics and back biting although rare

Advice to Senior ManagementHire lots of women - even if necessary in part time positions, as they will bring a diversity of outlook while adding to the technical talent bank

Worked for Asian Development Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Asian Development Bank reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Asian Development Bank employees.