Asian Human Services

Excellent Work-Study Opportunity

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Asian Human Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

As I worked for the After-School program, hours were very friendly to a college student's schedule. Pay was more per hour than any on-campus jobs for students, and when school got too stressful or finals came around, my supervisor was always understanding. It was also very easy to express when you were having difficulties to a student, and you always had the support of a team (supervisor and other tutors) behind you, rather than being left on your own. Overall, I ended up learning a lot. Definitely a wonderful opportunity for a college student looking to do something to help out in the community and gain some experience in education or social service-related fields.

Cons

Nothing specific comes to mind, as it was a work-study position and I was happy to take pretty much anything I could get.

I rarely came into contact/ had any interaction with upper management. The after school programs were very much separate.

Organization is doing great work for the clients it serves -- often difficult to work here

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Asian Human Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The organization provides a wide variety of services to clients and it is wonderful to work at a place that is making a difference in people's lives. I was able to take time off when I needed to without much issue as long as it was planned in advance and I rarely had to work outside of my normally scheduled 9-5

Cons

There is not much opportunity for advancement and many staff members seemed very dissatisfied. There's a fairly chaotic working environment.

Great staff doing great work under a poor or nonexistent leadership

Former Employee - Youth Counselor/Case Manager
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor/Case Manager

I worked at Asian Human Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full of wonderful people who genuinely care for the people they serve. Most of the supervisors are pretty flexible, allowing you to take care of personal business when necessary, probably due to the low pay.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement or pay increase unless you are senior management or in accounting. Middle management does not go to bat for their employees.

Retire.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A credible agency that has done amazing things for the community and clients

I have been working at Asian Human Services

Pros

Employees are dedicated and well trained. Senior management is competent and good at what they do. The salaries are not impressive, but decent in non-profits. Low turnover rates.

Cons

Not much room for upward mobility. Can be stressful sometimes.

Improving communication between upper management and staff. Improving employee benefits and salaries.

Rub Shoulders with the high guns!

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Asian Human Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meat a lot of ppl,and learned about different cultures. I grew as a person.

Cons

No raise for 2 years. really bad management, they don't have no clue how to treat personnel, they are very racist and they prefer Indian and Pakistani ppl. In other words, you need to be one of them, for them to take you in consideration. Do not expect to grow, promotions wise if you are not one of them.
    They say there is no money for raises (Not even for 3% cost of living) because there is no funds. even though fiscal year 2012, just doctors and the high guns got raises. but the ones that work hard every day and needs the money, didn't even got a penny. and the most incredible thing of all, is that the CEO bought a house in Hollywood this year and is building another clinic across the street. Manegment is very bad. horrible i say. they just want to keep their jobs by the effort of the rest of the ppl. Staff is mostly stress out and unhappy.
    Even the heating system is so bad. we are always cold. sometimes we have to work with out jackets on. because CEO ordered not to turn on the heater until winter! you have to be there to belive it.

one day this company will get audited. or some one will call the city on them. there are many internal things going on, and no body seems to care. but there will be some one that will step up.

Defies Logic

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Asian Human Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

AHS provides many exceptional services to needy clients and welcomes and orients immigrants within the community. There are many qualified caseworkers working diligently for their clients and therapists who advocate for the health and well-being of their clients.

Cons

Some unprofessional upper management personnel, managers forgetting to break staff for lunch, unfair treatment of some employees, and situational ethics regarding discipline.

Management needs training regarding sensitivity, impartiality, customer-service, and professionalism. Seriously, Playing favorites and clicking staff against each other is ridiculous.

This place is not professional at all if you do not agree with the way things are handle you could be terminated.

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Asian Human Services

Pros

The clients that I serve.

Cons

You will not be promoted unless you are close with certain people. Several people have been around for along time and do nothing, while others do all the work.

That will never happen. At this agency if you are not close to certain people you will never advance to a Manager positon. Some have been around for a long time and still are in the same postion. Others continue to apply for certain positions but are told they are not qualified. I have continued to remain at this agency because I help so many of my clients and that what satisfies me and motivates me to continue doing what I do.

Not a bad place, but low pay

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Asian Human Services

Pros

Working for AHS can be fun, but don't expect to get paid much. Generous paid time off and depending on the department you're in, you may like your managers.

Cons

Pay is not the best, but you have to keep in mind that the non-profit field in Chicago is over-saturated with young and enthusiastic wannabe social workers.

Try to be more involved with your employees and make sure that management is at least somewhat competent at what they are doing.

Hindu Rules There.

Former Employee - Director  in  Chicago (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago (Philippines)

I worked at Asian Human Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a paying job. That was the only good thing about it.
    Pay was substandard, and the compensation plan was irrational.
    It was fully subjected to the "emotions" of the CEO with the absent
    of rationale. She made business decisions as if she is a some kind
    of Hindu Princess during the Raj.

Cons

Endless lawless activities that starts at the top of the organization, the CEO

Advise to the Board of Directors: Get rid of that woman if you have any shred of integrity left. If you decline to act, it means that you have failed at your fiduciary responsibilities. What's the matter with all of you? Have you been snorting Curry Powder?

Worked for Asian Human Services? Contribute to the Community!