Asian Human Services

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Abha Pandya

Organization is doing great work for the clients it serves -- often difficult to work here

Case Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe organization provides a wide variety of services to clients and it is wonderful to work at a place that is making a difference in people's lives. I was able to take time off when I needed to without much issue as long as it was planned in advance and I rarely had to work outside of my normally scheduled 9-5

ConsThere is not much opportunity for advancement and many staff members seemed very dissatisfied. There's a fairly chaotic working environment.

Great staff doing great work under a poor or nonexistent leadership

Youth Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFull of wonderful people who genuinely care for the people they serve. Most of the supervisors are pretty flexible, allowing you to take care of personal business when necessary, probably due to the low pay.

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement or pay increase unless you are senior management or in accounting. Middle management does not go to bat for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

A credible agency that has done amazing things for the community and clients

ProsEmployees are dedicated and well trained. Senior management is competent and good at what they do. The salaries are not impressive, but decent in non-profits. Low turnover rates.

ConsNot much room for upward mobility. Can be stressful sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementImproving communication between upper management and staff. Improving employee benefits and salaries.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rub Shoulders with the high guns!

Receptionist (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsMeat a lot of ppl,and learned about different cultures. I grew as a person.

ConsNo raise for 2 years. really bad management, they don't have no clue how to treat personnel, they are very racist and they prefer Indian and Pakistani ppl. In other words, you need to be one of them, for them to take you in consideration. Do not expect to grow, promotions wise if you are not one of them.
    They say there is no money for raises (Not even for 3% cost of living) because there is no funds. even though fiscal year 2012, just doctors and the high guns got raises. but the ones that work hard every day and needs the money, didn't even got a penny. and the most incredible thing of all, is that the CEO bought a house in Hollywood this year and is building another clinic across the street. Manegment is very bad. horrible i say. they just want to keep their jobs by the effort of the rest of the ppl. Staff is mostly stress out and unhappy.
    Even the heating system is so bad. we are always cold. sometimes we have to work with out jackets on. because CEO ordered not to turn on the heater until winter! you have to be there to belive it.

Advice to Senior Managementone day this company will get audited. or some one will call the city on them. there are many internal things going on, and no body seems to care. but there will be some one that will step up.

Defies Logic

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsAHS provides many exceptional services to needy clients and welcomes and orients immigrants within the community. There are many qualified caseworkers working diligently for their clients and therapists who advocate for the health and well-being of their clients.

ConsSome unprofessional upper management personnel, managers forgetting to break staff for lunch, unfair treatment of some employees, and situational ethics regarding discipline.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs training regarding sensitivity, impartiality, customer-service, and professionalism. Seriously, Playing favorites and clicking staff against each other is ridiculous.

This place is not professional at all if you do not agree with the way things are handle you could be terminated.

Case Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe clients that I serve.

ConsYou will not be promoted unless you are close with certain people. Several people have been around for along time and do nothing, while others do all the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat will never happen. At this agency if you are not close to certain people you will never advance to a Manager positon. Some have been around for a long time and still are in the same postion. Others continue to apply for certain positions but are told they are not qualified. I have continued to remain at this agency because I help so many of my clients and that what satisfies me and motivates me to continue doing what I do.

Not a bad place, but low pay

Case Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWorking for AHS can be fun, but don't expect to get paid much. Generous paid time off and depending on the department you're in, you may like your managers.

ConsPay is not the best, but you have to keep in mind that the non-profit field in Chicago is over-saturated with young and enthusiastic wannabe social workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more involved with your employees and make sure that management is at least somewhat competent at what they are doing.

Hindu Rules There.

Director (Former Employee)
    Chicago (Philippines)

ProsIt was a paying job. That was the only good thing about it.
    Pay was substandard, and the compensation plan was irrational.
    It was fully subjected to the "emotions" of the CEO with the absent
    of rationale. She made business decisions as if she is a some kind
    of Hindu Princess during the Raj.

ConsEndless lawless activities that starts at the top of the organization, the CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise to the Board of Directors: Get rid of that woman if you have any shred of integrity left. If you decline to act, it means that you have failed at your fiduciary responsibilities. What's the matter with all of you? Have you been snorting Curry Powder?

Worked for Asian Human Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Asian Human Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Asian Human Services CEO Abha Pandya. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Asian Human Services employees.