Ask.com Reviews

Updated August 11, 2014

3.4

Ask.com CEO Doug Leeds
Doug Leeds

Pros
  • The office environment looks good and very close to BART (in 6 reviews)

• The company is filled with insanely smart people who are tasked with creating the next big thing for its customers (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It would be great to get your own full time employee and get ride of all contractors (in 3 reviews)

• The company's search engine marketing development team is controlled by cognizant contractor , who keeps kicking full time employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

An Awesome Place to Work At!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Great team -- I'm fortunate enough to be in a very helpful team. All my team members are ever ready to pitch in their expertise when I need it!
    2. Work-life balance -- You aren't expected to work extra hours. It's 'whatever gets the job done' here!
    3. 10% project policy -- Work for 4 hours on any project that you like, Monday-Friday.

Cons

There aren't any cons that I can think of.

So far so good!

Great People & Fantastic Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

All colleagues, not just some, are friendly and knowledgable. Really, the people at Ask.com are amazing! The HR department is the best I've ever seen. They really try to make work fun. The pay is okay and the benefits are okay too.

Cons

The tech-stack is old. The office is dated. The projects could be more challenging. The product is a bit boring and the executives change the direction of the product very often. Really innovative forces are often driven away from the company. It's a shame because there is so much potential.

Slim down. There is an overabundance of vice presidents. Provide career opportunities for the engineers, promote them more often.

Believe the negative reviews.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting a good severance when you get laid off is always a nice perk if you can get it. If you like to eat, they are happy to feed you into submission.

Cons

It's product purgatory. Mindless leadership stifles all ideas. You will have no chance of launching anything that improves the current product because it will negatively impact revenue. The daily work interferes with your outside endeavors.

First say you're sorry to the Internet at large. Then quit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good envrironment

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Ask.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The manager was very good and knowledgeable.

Cons

I have no cons to mention.

Not as advertised

I worked at Ask.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great vacation policy. Easy commute options. Free snacks available in all of the kitchens. Knowledgable employees who are mostly friendly and helpful.

Cons

The CEO lacks creativity and passion for building consumer products at Ask. The leadership team overall is focused mostly on other business units and overly concerned with incremental revenue optimization. Ask.com provides less and less authoritative information for consumers and generates more and more spam across Google's search results.

Worry less about ad optimization and more about the validity of information that you provide to consumers.

Cool people, bad politics, lame product

I worked at Ask.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really, the people were the best part. I met some great friends there. The industry is interesting and the feel in the office can be fun.

Cons

Where to begin...it was super heavy on senior management with inflated titles. So much so, that there seemed to be a 2 dozen people who were executive senior VP of something-or-other in an office that couldn't support half that. It felt like a group of friends promoting their other friends. I heard people getting berated by a few C-level execs on the regular. The product itself is kind of an embarrassment.

They don't care what I have to say, there's no point in writing an essay here.

Worst Manager i worked with..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Near to Bart, Good Benefits, Loads of technology to Learn from the Innovative teams.

Cons

What if the company is great and you are working under a worst manager, yes .. it is disgusting..
    I worked with one of the worst managers in my life who looks after himself first and not the team, he tries to blame his peers if anything wrong happens, he takes credit always if any good happens, no moral and ethical values, not even concerned about his employees at all, he takes it personal if you try to argue with him and he writes bad reviews about his peers and he never let his peers give a review as he knows for sure that he's gonna get very bad reviews, he behaves very childish and had immatured behaviour, they act very good with senior management but not with their peers.

Need to Fire these guys from the company immediately without further notice as he's creating very unhealthy environment in the company. HR and Senior Manager should take some action. but i don't think nothing is gonna happen.

Good benefits, great personal culture, no real innovation

I have been working at Ask.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The vacation matters policy is great. You get to take as much time off as you want. The people are smart and lots of fun. The culture is fun and comfortable for everyone.

Cons

You won't work on anything cutting edge. It takes too long to get anything done. The executives don't really know what they are doing. The CEO only promote people who agrees with him and who won't challenge him. If something isn't his idea, then it's not a good idea.

Get out of the way and let people run their business. Try to promote those people who are really working hard and growing the bottom line. Don't make people choose between getting promotions or raises.

Fun place to work; unfair pay; huge turnover

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome benefits, unlimited PTO, snacks, near BART, smart people, risk-taking and innovation is encouraged

Cons

Site quality is not a top priority - upper management does not seem concerned about the horrific quality of some of the pages, as long as they make money. Certain people are paid a lot; others are paid extremely unfairly and salary negotiations do not go well. I took a huge pay cut going from a contractor to a full-time employee, and was assured it would be resolved within a few months. After two years, I am finally making the same amount I
    Did as a contractor. Which is still not enough to live on in the Bay Area. A huge amount of high-level people left the company in the past year.

Make salaries more fair, at least pretend to care about quality

Wonderful company to work for. Good atmosphere and work-life balance. Lot of upward mobility.

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

I would say the best part about Ask is how flat it is. Information is shared across the board and everyone is open and willing to lend a helping hand. A great thing about Ask is the upward mobility and they really do believe in promoting from within. Other than that, the perks are very good too.

Cons

- No free lunch and dinner.
    - Things could move a little faster.

Worked for Ask.com? Contribute to the Community!