Askew Hargraves Harcourt & Associates Reviews

3.9
Mark W. Askew
1 Rating

1. A2H, Inc. Review

I worked at Askew Hargraves Harcourt & Associates part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance if you are part-time. Flexible part-time scheduling. Co-Workers were friendly and easy to work with most times. Company hosted many art galleries and music shows. Company also provided employee massages once a month, breakfast every Friday, and a Fun Friday every month.

Cons

Very deadline driven so you must be able to keep up.
    Some employees were very lax in keeping track of deadlines which caused those down the pipeline to have to pull everything together last minute.

Possibly host a time-management class that is mandatory for all employees.

Good for a short period of time

I worked at Askew Hargraves Harcourt & Associates

Pros

I loved the people and benefits

Cons

The highest turn over I have ever heard of.

Great pay, but you'll earn it...

Current Employee - Engineer in Lakeland, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lakeland, TN

I have been working at Askew Hargraves Harcourt & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This firm is rated as one of the best engineering and architecture firms in the Mid-South by many local publications. They pay their people very well.

Cons

Mr. Askew is overly involved in every aspect of this business. There is so much red tape & office politics to navigate it is surpirsing that we ever get a project completed on time. You will work 60+ hours per week. You only get 5 vacation days and 2 sick days. After five years, you get one extra day each.

Let us do our jobs and then we can get projects completed faster and with better quality. When you micromange, it makes everyone afraid of making mistakes instead of producing quality.

5. Fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Askew Hargraves Harcourt & Associates

Pros

Great community of engineers and designers who work together to create an enhanced quality of life. Overall its a fantastic company.

Cons

Its located in memphis. It's a smaller company. It's located way outside of the city. It can't get monotonous with some of the older employees there.

I think the biggest challenge on the coming years as the company continues to grow is to ensure the future of the company by incorporating more young engineers with new ideas.

Good company, Attention to quality

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

A2H is a great place to work. I've been here for 4+ years. The office building itself, as well as the branch offices, are very nice. Good work environment. There is a lot of emphasis placed on the quality of work. Plans are typically checked, double checked, and triple checked. There are some great engineers here to learn from and to work with. Speaking from personal experience, the partners have taken a personal interest in my happiness and well-being. They truly seem to care.

Cons

A handful of the engineers and architects are unbearable, eccentric types. Their behavior, no matter how vulgar and inappropriate, seems to be ignored. Thier jobs are safe because they work on important projects. Unfortunately, their bad attitudes affect the people around them and cause bitterness against the management team for ignoring it. Be sure you secure the salary you want coming into the job, because 'raises' are unheard of. The partners don't even recognize the word. Although, a decent yearly bonus does come around for most employees. I had to demand the only salary raise I ever recieved. There are too many engineers in a 'middle management role'. The work seems to bottleneck there, because they can never seem to accomplish much. These are the 'generation x' employees - in thier late 30s/early 40s.

The chair massages and art shows are great - but nothing will improve office morale like a good salary raise.

7. A Company With a Vision

I have been working at Askew Hargraves Harcourt & Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At A2H I have been turned loose to do what they brought me in to do. I have had a great time, and receive the support from the partners when I need it. The partners try and show on a regular basis that they really care about the people there. We have "fun Friday's", regular free chair massages, and they are always giving away tickets to plays and other events. They are not uptight like other engineering firms that I have worked for, and their Christmas party is actually really fun.
    A2H is a growing mid level firm that falls between the big firms which ignore rural communities, and the smaller "mom & pop" kitchen table engineering firms which are going out of business and can't do larger jobs. We are growing all the time. People are busy, but people put in reasonable hours. Work life mix is good.
    Please keep in mind that this is just my experience, and I can't speak for anyone else. But this is also not a bunch of BS either.

Cons

Things are very busy. People may not respond as soon as you would like, not because their mean, but because they have a ton of stuff they are working on.

I Love A2H because it has a vision for serving the communities that we work in, and because it treats its people with respect. As we grow bigger don't lose sight of the things that have made us great.

Askew Hargraves Harcourt & Associates Photos