Aspect Software

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Aspect Software CEO Stewart Bloom

Stewart Bloom

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work if you can tolerate the anxiety of re-orgs, and layoffs

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aspect Software full-time for more than 5 years

Prosdecent salary, room to learn, great people!

Conslots of re-orgs and revolving doors.

Advice to Senior Managementthings are not all about the cost savings, we are losing tremendous talent, focus on removing the dead weight not those who are needed.

Textbook example of workplace misery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Aspect Software full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are some smart and talented people at the peer level. Co-workers at the peer level are good to collaborate with.

ConsAspect is by far the worst company I have ever worked for many reasons:

-Hostile work environment - management has shown unprofessional behavior including screaming, swearing, and throwing things.

-Your job will constantly be threatened due to constantly changing requirements. Things such as being on call 24/7, working 50/60 hours a week, and always answering your phone/email late at night will not be mentioned until after the fact.

-Zero consideration of work-life balance. Expect your job to be threatened even if you have to deal with family emergencies.

-Lack of direction - no one can tell you what the direction of aspect is. Ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers. There is confusion between management at the senior and executive levels.

-The only thing that matters is speed at aspect. Forget about doing things properly, if it wasn't done yesterday then you aren't doing your job properly. No matter how bad the idea or implementation is, you are expected to push it out the door and wipe your hands of a project.

-Your opinions will not matter. Even if you are the expert in a certain area, management will micromanage you every step of the way and dismiss your opinions.

-There is zero thought into best practices, procedures or even using proper tools at aspect. Working at Aspect is analogous to driving a car from point A to point B, only that the car has flat tires, is out of gas, and needs a new engine. No matter how many times you mention all the problems with the car, the answer will always be the same: drive faster.

-HR is unable do anything (or is ignored) in response to unprofessional and/or hostile behavior by senior management.

-Promotions and raises are virtually impossible at Aspect. Inside word is that you have a better chance of quitting and being rehired at Aspect if you are looking for a promotion or raise.

-Layoffs are happening at a rate of 1-2x a year.

These are only a few of the reasons that entire teams quit at Aspect. For those looking at Aspect, it is simply not worth considering.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept the fact that good employees are leaving the company in numbers and that it is a problem. Remove senior management and the toxic workplace they have built.

Short Sighted, M&A Oriented

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Aspect Software full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn the past there have been many opportunities to engage in new technology and work hard in a very challenging and fast paced environment.

ConsThings are ever changing organizationally, lacking a clear roadmap and discipline to stick to a vision and do what it takes to execute to plan. When projects are felt to be near enough to completion to be able to get some kind of product release out the door there are layoffs, and the quality of the software suffers accordingly. This issue is the essence of the problem at Aspect, and why the loss of customers is occuring, and likely will continue to do so.

As a software company the people are the life blood of the company, but the Golden Gate owners have no loyalty or gratitude towards the employees. It is very difficult to move forward with your career as the company keeps employees pigeon holed and prefers to hire new people from outside of the company. The current executive team, in place now for 18 months is tightly linked to the private owners of the company who remain the same - hence there really is no change fundamentally in how Aspect is managed in spite of the marketing and sloganeering saying otherwise. The focus of pursuing growth is on merger/acquisitions of other companies which seem to be distressed and undervalued. The successful integration of the products from the M&As is hit or miss, without any tangible positive impact on the bottom line.

To be honest, I am happy to no longer be with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo grow the company organically requires an investment in the people already here. There are some very talented people here still in spite of the chronic cycles of layoffs, who have worked hard time and again to produce product in shorter time frames. It is important to stick to a development effort all the way to completion, with adequate testing and the willingness to pay what it takes to make it happen. Step up to paying what it takes. More satellite offices near the homes of executives may not be the wisest use of resources, the executives need to spend more time where the real work is being done, and be willing to roll up their sleeves and actively participate.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

More Workload, No Raises, No Promotions, No Recognition

I T (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aspect Software full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat co-workers, well, at least the ones that are still there

ConsToo many cons, never-ending lay-offs. low pay, no raises (except for Execs), workload constantly increases. Management is clueless and just wants to blame others. Most jobs are moving to India.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the employee base more rather than outsourcing everything to India

Trying hard, but may be too late.

Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Aspect Software full-time for more than a year

ProsSome departments seem to work very well. Environment is clean & modern.

ConsLots of staff defections at the mid level as well as individual contributors. Not many people seem happy. Many people looking for opportunities elsewhere. Lots of positive talk from c-level and director level parroting. Lots of fluff talk and lipstick on the pig. Seems like writing is on the wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your own way.

Engineering Intern

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Aspect Software as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat learning experience. Awesome people to work with

ConsIncrease the amount of work delegated to Interns.

Decent company. Shows progress but has a long way to go.

I have been working at Aspect Software full-time

ProsShowing signs of improvement with new upper management. People are finally being held accountable for their work.

ConsStill lots of issues from before the change in upper management. Mixed feelings on Job security due to many changes in the company goals. Everything we do is customized to a fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over new and create processes that fit our current business model rather than trying to 'duck tape' everything that's currently broken.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Run far, run fast

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aspect Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- new technologies,
- new development under way, not the correct approach on some of it, but getting there

ConsSalary is not that great,
No actual work-life balance.

Advice to Senior Managementbring up the salary review immediate,
Look carefully --- very carefully -- at what your employees are doing.
Change the way managment views employees and there value.

Aspect is going through a positive trasformation

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aspect Software full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNew leadership having good focus and vision. New product released with high quality and starting to payoff. Can work on cutting edge technologies. Can balance personal and professional life . Salary is good. All this opinion is from the past few months positive changes happening in Aspect.

ConsEalier had lot of issues like frequent layoffs, no long term vison, very less investment in R&D which has attributed to the loss of market share and revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow with the new management, everyone is having high hope and enthusisam. Once the employees are motivated, company will succeed. I personally feel that now every one have a new positve energy.

Becoming A Great Place To Work

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aspect Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong, Talented Employee Base
New Management driving great changes
Flexible work schedules
Learning environment

ConsLegacy issues, still being worked out
Constant change

Advice to Senior ManagementWay to go on the changes to date!
Movement at the top was a must and new management are already making great changes.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Aspect Software? Contribute to the Community!

Aspect Software Videos

Aspect Software – Why Work for Us?

I am Video Final 2 from Aspect Software on Vimeo. Overview Aspect helps enterprise contact centers deliver remarkable customer experiences across every conversation and every channel – through a single, elegant software… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aspect Software reviews and ratings in Chelmsford, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aspect Software CEO Stewart Bloom . All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Aspect Software employees.