Aspen Heights

Greg Henry

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Loyal and Marketing Representative
    Current Employee - Loyal and Marketing Representative

I have been working at Aspen Heights (more than a year)

Pros

Great working staff. Act like family
    Flexible hours. Willing to work with you

Cons

Random meetings
    Slim chance of linear movement in management

"Started from the top, now we're here"

I worked at Aspen Heights full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company initially started out great! They had a great idea of company culture and a fantastic view of a student housing experience. I truly believe that our check book was not a direct replication of our experience so we had to target some new talent who was not as culture driven to ensure that we could profit more. Great intentions and horrible outcomes.

Cons

Listening.... The company runs of a ton of employees off simply because they don't listen. If someone is begging for more responsibility, they want it. If someone is being honest about their work environment, listen to them. If someone communicates that their daily tasks are not value-congruent, guide them. Aspen Heights recruits great talent, never develops them, and then uses that as a cop-out for not promoting them.

Gradual change is important, getting individuals involved in change is key, supporting your workhorses is necessary. Remember those individuals that lose tons of sleep, forget their families during holidays, and work into the wee hours of the night striving to get noticed... These are the individuals you should promote and praise, not individuals who bring their same boring experiences, that were gifted to them from their previous companies.

What a great opportunity to learn and grow!

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Norman, OK

I have been working at Aspen Heights part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Creative expression; openness in office; training; knowledge of managers; family environment.
    Aspen Heights has been a great place for me to grow in my marketing skills and learn how to put a campaign together from scratch.

Cons

I only work part-time so I don't know if I even have any cons currently. Our property is currently under construction so the only con is that we can't visit our neighborhood and see the physical houses but apart from that, it's great!

Keep doing what you are doing!

Amazing!

Current Employee - Concierge
    Current Employee - Concierge

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Aspen Heights is an amazing employer. I have worked for several Fortune 500 companies. I have worked for some awesome companies but nothing like Aspen. The office culture is second to none. The atmosphere, coworkers, managers, benefits are great! I really enjoy coming to work everyday! There is room for growth and many opportunities to advance.

Cons

I really do not have any cons.

Keep up the amazing work!

Another honest review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Aspen Heights full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, laid back envronment, very social if you get in with the right clique, fair amount of PTO/holidays

Cons

Work life:
    Noisy, shared office spaces. Zero accountability at any level. Innovative to a fault. There is a resistance to anything considered even remotely industry standard. Disorganized. Goals for 2013 were established in late spring of 2014. Affinity for hiring people with no/limited experience. Extensive travel even in positions which do not require it. Very impatient to progress so priorities change by the minute, expectations are not clearly outlined, and no follow up.

Un-equal opportunity:
    Are you young? Did you go to the "right" school? Are you friends with the "right" people? Are you a "yes" person who can stroke egos without offering any opinions of your own? Then be prepared to reap all the benefits.

Benefits:
    Very low pay compared to other companies. No 401k or matching but instead a "profit" sharing program. Its hard to share profits when no one wants to buy your properties anymore due to construction issues and mismanagement. No education reimbursement. PTO is difficult to be used because they ship you all over the country to help out on site, typically with less than 2 weeks notice.

Separation process:
    This "growing" company was recently laying people off. There is no exit interview to let you know about discontinuation of benefits, final pay, etc. They don't pay out PTO (the ONLY company I have ever worked for that does not). No exit survey to get to the root of why they are losing people.

Remember in the A+ training when you said that you want people to speak positively about Aspen Heights even after they are gone? Thats not going to happen if you continue treating people the way you do. Don't steal the PTO I earned because I am advancing my career elsewhere when the opportunity wasnt there with Aspen Heights. It goes against everything you say you are.

An HONEST review

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture here is great. The work-family balance is great for my specific position, but some other aren't so lucky. I enjoy my work to the extent I am able to do my work. Laid back atmosphere is great.

Cons

Most of the employees writing reviews on Glassdoor are employees that work at specific sites as Leasing Managers, Concierges LAMAs, etc.. They don't see the real Aspen Heights corporate structure. Don't be fooled by those reviews. The truth is that this company is a mess. The upper management (ELT) knows very little about what project management, as a whole, is all about. They don't truly understand development, construction, or Operations. Moreover, they hire professionals with experience but don't listen to their wisdom. They continuously preach about DNA and great values, but do not honor those values. "Constant Improvement" is one we always here, but when ideas are brought forth from experience, they are pushed aside. There are favorite 'young' individuals that are favored by the CEO; thus, they are given promotions, even though those individuals are the root of the problems with over-budget projects over the past three years. It's Inexperience and having a Big Ego. This company is going down fast because they (ELT) does not truly care to understand everything involved in the business. They hire the professionals to do the jobs, but don't listen to them. They have ridden on a high wave the last few years that is about to reach the sandy beach and crash, unless they make some serious changes fast. Also, this company is not the most honest company. They choose to deliberately not pay consultants and constructors when they run into problems, such as not going forward with a project, or going over-budget on a construction project. Beware if you fall into this category. Do we not pay our doctors when they do not cure us from cancer?

Loose the egos and listen to the professionals you hire. Quit promoting people with no experience; instead, promote those with the experience. That is, unless, you don't want this company to succeed. Practice what you preach....all the time...not just some of the time. Learn the business...every part of it, by listening to those who have been in the business for years.

Aspen Heights has a fun work environment, a caring staff, and fosters positive working relationships.

Current Employee - Concierge in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Concierge in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture, diversity of the staff, the positive environment and policies that allow employees to learn and grow with the company. I love the fluidity that allows room for change if a policy doesn't perfectly accommodate a particular situation or property. Management is easy to talk to from the property level, to regional, to anyone from corporate, there is always an open ear.

Cons

Sometimes it can feel as though there is a bit of a disconnect between the property and the corporate office. Problems on the property level may not be completely understood or appreciated by corporate, just because they are not in the thick of the situation all day, every day. Also, I feel that sometimes it takes so long to get issues from a property level to the corporate level, get approval for a solution etc., that whenever the issue is finally resolved, the problem sat, seemingly untouched for so long, that the damage is done, and residents stay sour.

Try to address problems as quickly as possible- easier said than done- before the resident dissatisfaction, anger and buzz over the issue becomes bigger than the actual problem. If there is a problem that cannot be addressed in a short amount of time (most of them), communicate the plan of action with the property and residents

Young company with a fun, fast-paced environment

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company creates an environment that encourages its young workforce to take ownership of projects/tasks. Coworkers are friends outside of work. Teams are small enough so employees are forced to wear lots of hats which translates to a broader learning spectrum. Company hires people who are leaders and decision makers which further encourages the entire company to continuing being bold/creative.

Cons

Given the age of the company, there are plenty of areas for process improvement. Lost efficiencies in duplication of work. Some inexperience in the areas of managing/building up people. Management seems more concerned with growth (number of projects) than refining operational/management side of business. Could use more senior leadership in the form of experience.

A culture unlike any other!

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun and loving work environment, family, lots of growth potential, autonomy in the workplace. I don't feel like I'm going to work because I enjoy what I do and the teams I'm able to work with. Truly unlike any company I've had the opportunity to work for!

Cons

We're still a young company which means that there are some processes that need to be implemented. However, it's a great opportunity to create them or provide input as to what those processes should look like.

Endless opportunities to grow!

I have been working at Aspen Heights full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company culture is like no other. You always feel like you're a part of the family and that your voice is heard. There is never a dull day at work - the opportunities are endless and the environment is fun.

Cons

Because the company is still growing, things are constantly changing and it's important to be able to learn new systems and processes quickly.