Aspen Institute

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Walter Isaacson

Pretty good, but i left

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosgreat educational events, you get to meet very interesting and influential people

Conslittle room for moving up

Advice to Senior Managementcreate possibility for employees to advance in their position

Lack of Transparency and Commitment to Values Espoused

Program Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunities to see amazing people speak, great colleagues (well, if you're a young person I wouldn't really know about management), and free food! Some great program directors (if you're lucky enough to work for them).

ConsA lot of your experience depends on the program you work for. Each of the Aspen programs talks about a lot of important issues: healthcare, women in the workplace, yet the institute as a whole struggles to adopt any of these values which makes everything the Institute organizes feel hollow. Very limited maternity leave, mediocre healthcare plan, very little room to grow, especially if you come into an entry level position.

In general, I feel like the Institute cultivates a very dangerous atmosphere for young people, one that involves a lot of uncertainty and little room for growth.

Advice to Senior Management-pay attention to your younger staff, Walter Isaacson is insistent on the entrepreneurial nature of the org but you have to cultivate a much safer atmosphere for entrepreneurship and innovation. Not to mention that encouraging an "entrepreneurial" attitude generally privileges entitled white men. Just saying...
    -practice what the policy programs are teaching other people to do!

Strategic minded

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat facilitator of dialogue and builder of strategic partnerships. Various policy programs tackle an array of issues. Opportunity to engage directly with high-level stakeholders

ConsLack of transparency-a few colleagues were dismissed suddenly within short timeframe. Programs are siloed and rarely interact with each other or work together.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good place to work.

ProsFair compensation and benefits; entrepreneurial environment; interesting colleagues; never a dull moment, great brand, reach, and reputation.

ConsThe cons really vary by individual program. Each program operates pretty independently, so depends on the program director.

Great environment & people, interesting work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Aspen, CO

ProsAmazing people to work with and speakers that come through; events are always intellectually stimulating

ConsNo clear career path or opportunities to stay there long-term; minimal training; relatively mindless work, but interesting speakers and events to attend, which makes it all worth it

Flexibility and opportunity

ProsA wide range of issues are covered and there are many interesting people and events. It's a very open environment--not top down--and there is opportunity to be creative

ConsThere is some variation across departments which can cause confusion.

An opportunity of immense personal growth, a professional launchpad

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAspen attracts young and brilliant people - the culture is the best part. Aspen works on a wide diversity of issues. Aspen unique in its decentralized structure, encouraging entrepreneurship, while streamlining the bureaucracy. Opportunity to travel.

ConsSometimes overworked, or working long hours. Nonprofit sector means less pay than a similar position in the private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue supporting the young employees with professional development

Incredibly bureaucratic and slow. Textbook example of too much overhead spending and very few outputs.

Philanthropy Program Research Fellow (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Nice perks, like like the Christmas party at a giant estate in Maryland were you get to spend the night
    -Despite signing up as a research fellow I just sat at my desk and constantly ran out of busywork, so ended up getting lots of schoolwork and personal stuff done

ConsIf you have any shred of excitement for research and actually contributing to relevant projects avoid at all costs

Great experience for a Non-profit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, Lots of free lunch

ConsCareer progression can be a problem

A wonderful place to work while you are young

Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat group of people, young people as well as career professionals that have come back to work with a specific group.

ConsDifficult to be promoted, and doesn't publish as much as other think tanks.

Worked for Aspen Institute? Contribute to the Community!