Aspen Marketing Services

Patrick J. O'Rahilly

Quality work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aspen Marketing Services (more than a year)

Pros

professional services and dedicated staff

Cons

Growing faster than management can handle

branch out by leveraging more independent contractors for input and services

Good place to work

I worked at Aspen Marketing Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Some cool accounts and projects to work on.

Cons

Part of a much larger organization that sometimes adds unnecesary layers of red tape.

empower the front line workers. It happens on some accounts. But should happen on more.

OK

I worked at Aspen Marketing Services

Pros

The agency was hospitable to new employees. Lunch was often brought in and created socializing opportunities. Large clients and brands.

Cons

Far drive if you commute from the city. A few decisions made were not beneficial to the project or employees.

Should have never sold out

Current Employee - Receptionist
    Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Aspen Marketing Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are alright. The employees are generally nice and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Ever since they were sold, it has been a clash of cultures with the parent company. Upper management has become jaded an basically given up. There are almost no advancement opportunities--you are better off quitting and reapplying if you want a new position/advancement or even a significant raise. Managers are afraid to "stir the pot" because things are still very tenuous with the parent company and you never know when the next big change will be or if that change will put anyone on the chopping block. We are on a "hiring freeze" which is the supposed reason nobody can advance or get a raise, but we have new hires every week. Despite that, turn around is very fadt. Support teams are not recognized and are taken advantage of, doing the work of managers without recognition or compensation.

Work with your parent company to make things run better. Take care of your employees and help them advance instead of doing the work without getting the pay. Stop fighting for your friends to keep their jobs when they aren't doing the work--get rid of the dead wright and let your hard working employees shine and climb.

Upper level Client Service Teams mismanage their accounts and personnel while lacking true leadership skills.

Former Employee - Client Account Executive in West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Account Executive in West Chicago, IL

I worked at Aspen Marketing Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall, Aspen is a decent company, but as always, the overall experience of any employee will be directly tied to the team they are on, and specifically, the quality of that team's leadership.

Comfortable work environment, pleasant atmosphere, free lunch every Friday, with the occasional internal perk (on-site flu shots, holiday themed mini-parties, etc.).

Good amount of vacation/sick/personal time, ability to work from home based upon the team/account and your role.

Cons

The leaders of my former account lacked management skills and were only "leaders" by title, as they had no true leadership qualities. They were consummate B.S. artists, and had gained their position on the account by being with the company for 9+ years, while also becoming sacred cows, beyond all reproach or challenge. The team had 3 people request to leave the account (including myself) in less than 1 year, quitting due to the poor team leadership, not because of Aspen overall. In addition, the client demanded that my initial manager be removed from the account, yet Aspen ignored these red flags and kept the upper management team in place. Shortly after I left Aspen, they lost this client account.

Lazy personnel decisions - instead of hiring someone to replace the lost skill sets when someone left the team, they drop the vacated responsibilities onto other team members, completely altering or eliminating the job the remaining team members were hired to perform.

Structured or formal training does not exist in any format - all you get are rambling brain-dumps - better take good notes, and fast! Don't ask for confirmation of your notes either, as feedback is a long time coming, if you get any at all.

Medical/Health benefits are comprehensive, but a bit more expensive than my previous experience, and more expensive than I would have expected them to be based upon the company's size (Aspen being a sub-division of Epsilon, with Alliance Data as the overall parent company).

Start paying attention to the client instead of what the client account team leadership is telling you. Maybe sacrafice a few sacred cows, replacing them with employees that have actual leadership skills.

Better hope you're a favorite.

I worked at Aspen Marketing Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful work/life balance.

Cons

Not much room to advance unless you are a "favorite." This company has a ton of potential to be great but falls short because of management. There are politics anywhere you go, but this place takes it to new heights. The best option would be to freelance here.

Listen to your employees and treat all fairly.

Do not care about their workers

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Aspen Marketing Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

That I am not with them any longer. That the store owners would offer me gifts and food for my hard work but did the honorable thing and said no. Happy to know that I have more values then they do.

Cons

They will back stab and allow their clients to treat their workers like cattle, and have so many expectations even when they are being used by the store owners or by them the boss. As a marketing company run and run fast because the only thing they are promoting is the money in their pockets.

Treat our workers like they are human and when you have staff that only play with their cell phones and cell 1 or 2 bottles 5 shifts in a row but have others that go over goal throughtout program to examine any issues they may have.

Easy way to make money

I worked at Aspen Marketing Services

Pros

Easy work for little to no requirements

Cons

Boring and monotonous work. Slow periods mean you are sent home which means less money. If you have read Damned by Chuck Palahniuk, this is that call center.

Listen to employees more.

There's good and bad.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Aspen Marketing Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Can work remotely if needed. Bonus plan.

Cons

Heavy workloads with very short turn around times require lots of overtime especially around the holidays. Finger pointing and lack of communication seem to be the norm.

Stop playing favorites. Acknowledge hard work when you see it.

Fast-paced & exciting work opportunities

Current Contractor - Web Developer in West Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Web Developer in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aspen Marketing Services as a contractor

Pros

Casual work environment, motivated teams, variety of work is expansive & many employees often tackle a handful of small projects at one time

Cons

Occasionally disruptive environment, some departments are complacent & stagnant, which is a stark contrast to those that are rocketing forward

Continue motivating exisiting employees & keep hiring great people - Aspen is a stellar work place