Aspen Skiing Company

www.aspensnowmass.com

Aspen Skiing Company Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Mike Kaplan

The best employer in the experiential ski industry.

Alpine Patroller (Former Employee)

ProsBest benefits and compensation in the industry.

ConsLarge corporation with the bottom line in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to better include young talent in overall corporate structure. There are many over qualified young employees that could greatly help upper management steer the company without spending 20+ years at the business.

Best company Ive worked for

Ticket Sales (Current Employee) Aspen, CO

ProsAmazing culture. Everyone who works there shares the same passion for the ski industry and the company's values.

ConsMoving up in the company is tough. To get a salaried job you have to wait for someone to die or retire.

Great work atmosphere!!

Lift Operator (Current Employee) Snowmass Village, CO

ProsGreat place to be, atmosphere, people, community; actually FUN.

ConsBelow average pay, especially for cost of living in town and surrounding areas. Would expect more from a company of this size.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful opportunity to take as a former college athlete

Ski Professional (Former Employee) Snowmass Village, CO

ProsThis was a tremendous position to take after college and meeting tons of new people. The rookie class is a wonderful dynamic that you carry with you. The benefits that they offer are incredible. Living in ASC housing isn't the best, but you can certainly make-do if that is your only option.

ConsIt's tough to break-in with some of the Veterans that dominate the "priority" on the lineup, but be confident and stand your ground as a committed pro with a desire to improve and gain more experience.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and pay. Management makes sense.

ConsNo upward mobility. and that's about all.

Overall Exceptional, but Problems in Rental/Retail

Middle Manager (Current Employee) Aspen, CO

ProsExcellent managerial pay, benefits, work environment and company-wide culture.

ConsThe rental/retail department is led by individuals who apply a great deal of favoritism and execute decisions based on here-say, and conjecture. They rarely confront their store managers in an honest and direct manner, and even more rarely provide positive feedback or give acknowledgement of excellent performance. There are numerous other problems in the department that seem to persist.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany leadership and ownership needs to place a critical eye on the upper management in the rental/retail department. There are and have been things going on for a long time that do not support or compliment the overall company culture. Please note that this is a critique of one department and not the entirety of Aspen Skiing Co.

If you can't beat'em, join'em.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- free season pass
    - free meals
    - great community
    - fun company
    - great perks
    - who doesn't love to be a ski bum?
    - work/life balance is great

Cons- very big company
    - difficult to move up and out of the service side of the company
    - difficult to get into the corporate side of the company

Snowboard Instructor

Snowboard Instructor (Former Employee) Snowmass Village, CO

ProsMentality, Pay, Random parties, Work Ethic

ConsBenefits, Decisions can be more political than fair

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Aspen SkiCo Ticket Sales

Ticketing Agent (Former Employee) Snowmass Village, CO

ProsSki pass benefits that extend to family members

ConsFull time work that frees little time to ski; poorly supported in terms of generating a positive ticketing experience to customer AND sales agent; makes job incredibly taxing and exhausting when it needn't be.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring physical comforts to these poor customers that just traveled via three airline flights or two days from Brazil, Australia- coffee, water, beverage/snack stand at inoffensive prices, extreme television for visual pleasure while waiting 20-40 minutes in a line; a number system like the DMV so they can sit & relax in lounge atmosphere.

Support your staff with humor: posters that smilingly chide "Grumpy people not allowed," "Your hurry isn't my hurry," "mean people suck," etc. Cheat sheets with statements to deflect hostility, instill patience and warm reciprocity.

Cook

Cook II (Former Employee) Aspen, CO

Pros-green company
    -lots of oppurtunity for advancement
    -easy to transfer to other ops

Cons- not willing to work with hours
    -not the best housing
    -not willing to help with living outside of town

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to employees on improvements

Worked for Aspen Skiing Company? Contribute to the Community!