AspenTech

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Antonio Pietri

Pros:
  • "There are a lot of really good people here, who are experienced professionals"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great products, very knowledgeable and well trained employee base"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Culture of fear and paranoia driven by aggressive senior management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Upper management tends to get a little too involved in day to day activities and it can bog things down"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great co-workers, terrible management

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than 5 years

Prospretty good software, excellent people. Everyone should work for Aspen at some point in their career but leave before you get too jaded.

ConsThe leadership team gives conflicting messages and objectives. They claim to value customers but really does not.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO

Working at AspenTech has been a great experience so far.

Marketing Professional (Current Employee)
Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for less than a year

ProsThe starting pay is great! The work environment is organized, and you get your own space and laptop. Everyone tends to have a good attitude and genuinely wants to hear your ideas and bring you into projects.

ConsIt takes some time to get the workload you'd like, but that's because the company wants to ease you in. Working from home isn't encouraged at this place, though it still happens on a case by case basis and rarely. The company has gone through a lot in the past, so the CEO is very money-conscious and it's difficult to get larger projects approved that cost money.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage working from home more when it makes sense, because when workers get sick they can still get work done at home without spreading the germs to everyone else and it also adds convenience for certain situations. Also, be more open about how people can move forward in their career at AspenTech and actually layout examples to encourage people to stay at the company longer, instead of picking up skills and moving on to another company.

No words to describe the time spent in Aspentech. There is no positive note.

Senior Technical Support Consultant (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

ProsGood products. If you can survive here, yes, you can definitely survive anywhere.

ConsLots of experienced people have left. New trainees have a real hard time to cope up with the pace as there is anyone to train. Current employees are constantly looking for better opportunities. Ex-employees are better off in other companies. The environment is highly suppressing. Constantly finding faults between departments is very common. No team spirit in here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can not always save money. Cost cutting could be good but it has its limits. How can you spend $1500 on shoes, while your employees struggle to get a small hike in their allowance?? Come on office supplies are required for the job. Cutting down on pens and pencils is pointless.

Are you looking for a new job? Keep looking.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive benefit package. There are some very talented people.

ConsI've been reading the reviews for Aspen on this site for a couple of years but never posted one. Most of them are dead-on but I have to comment about the latest one which gave the company a very favorable review. The person is apparently very new to Aspen and I'd venture to say he hasn't worked at many other companies. "Getting your own space and laptop" should be expected in any company. He also has not got the message as far as working from home. He mentions that it's not 'encouraged" when in fact is is forbidden per official company policy.
It takes forever to get anything done because the processes are so cumbersome and antiquated yet there doesn't seem to be any interest in streamlining to make processes efficient and effective. Progress is further delayed due to the need to get approvals from a myriad of people. The fear of retaliation makes people reluctant to make decisions on their own.
There seems to be some attempt to change the culture but it clearly is not working. It continues to be an unsatisfactory place to work. People are leaving at record pace and there are constantly new faces in the halls. I would say that a majority of workers fear for their job.
I've had friends ask about job openings but my advice is always the same... Don't even think about it. If you are looking for a new job, keep looking. You are lucky to have a website that gives you the insiders' view. Read the reviews. They aren't exaggerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that it's save to say that they don't t care about advice from their workers. The bottom line is that the company is making money.

Poor Sr Mgmt, Inadequate Product Investment with Poor Strategy, Total Lack of Trust and Support for Field Organization

Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at AspenTech full-time for less than a year

ProsExposure to good customer base in process manufacturing industry. Engineering solutions are leader in industry due to long history

ConsNo trust of employees. The worse internal business processes I've ever seen or hear about. Terrible treatment of personnel. They are losing talent incredibly fast and don't seem to care. Treat customers terribly

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave and let better management in to try and repair problems before it is too late

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A lot of opportunities but restrictive upper management

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Burlington, VT

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnjoyed the work content and the people

ConsA lack of process management and enforcement of procedures

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training, do better management of work distribution

Houston office is an old style boys club; HQ is worse.

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits. The system requires 5 words.

ConsProcesses are crippling to business. Management is more a popularity contest than a level playing field.

Terrible Place to Work - Avoid!

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice colleagues and decent benefits, the bathrooms are clean and the location is easy to get to. It is near the highway.

ConsI wish there was a non-star rating, it bothers me that I have to select even one star. No room for advancement here. You need to be in the inner circle to be noticed. Employees are generally used, abused and then thrown away. It says a lot that most people leave after 1-2 years. They can't stand it. Contributions that you make as an individual aren't noticed because the managers usually take credit for them. If your only choice is to live in your car or work at AspenTech, then of course, take the job, but give it a lot of thought. (The car might be the more attractive option.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior level management never mixes with the rank and file and they don't want any advice. They like it just how it is and it will never change.

A bad place to work

I have been working at AspenTech full-time

ProsMany of my co-workers are nice people.

ConsAspenTech has an overwhelmingly negative and fearful culture, with a stifling bureaucracy, deeply unhappy employees, and a total lack of trust and empowerment from senior management. It is a dysfunctional company and a bad place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company cares about making money for shareholders, and not at all about employee engagement or satisfaction. The execs know that employees are unhappy, but they just don't care, because it doesn't impact the bottom line. Though there is little financial need to do so, it would be nice to work at a place that genuinely cares about employee retention and happiness.

Too bad that zero stars is not an option because this company does not deserve even one.

I have been working at AspenTech full-time

ProsThe coffee machines have been upgraded and they are now stocking real tea bags in the coffee rooms instead of the pouches. The use it or lose it vacation policy has been change and you can carry over 5 days.

ConsAbusive behavior by managers is is not only tolerated but encouraged and rewarded. Now that the employment market seems to be picking up, turnover has increased. Employees are doing phone interviews in the hallways, building lobby, and in their cars. Managers rationalize the increased turnover by saying that employees are leaving because they can't take the pace when the real reason is that they don't want to continue working for an abusive company. Don't expect that higher levels of management or HR will do anything. The higher levels are the ones who reward these managers and HR won't do anything because they are too afraid.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not want advice. They will only wake up when turnover begins to really hurt, no one will come in to interview and they end up with temps and contractors.

Worked for AspenTech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AspenTech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AspenTech CEO Antonio Pietri. All 123 reviews posted anonymously by AspenTech employees.