AspenTech Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.2

Antonio Pietri

Pros
  • There are a lot of really good people here, who are experienced professionals (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits package - which is very surprising (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture of fear and paranoia driven by aggressive senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management tends to get a little too involved in day to day activities and it can bog things down (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Company successful, culture an issue in the past but seems to be improving

Current Employee - Finance  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Finance in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and products, leader in their market, company did a financial turnaround and now growing, new ceo knows that a stronger culture is important. Good influx of lots of new and young talent the last couple years who are making an impact.

Cons

Less bureaucracy than before but still room for improvement. Collaboration across functions needs to be better.

Exec team - be better aligned. Lead by example in driving better collaboration across groups.

Change for the better

Current Employee - N/A  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - N/A in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the level of transparency and open dialogue and from what I can tell there's been a huge amount of change over the last year. It would seem that those that have not been able to deal with that change have moved on and clearly it was necessary for the business but doesn't sit well with everyone. Having worked for US software companies previously I've seen far worse. Market leader in what they do and that is a huge door opener.

Cons

Still evolving and there are some old habits that need cleaning up but for new employees coming in there's a great deal of opportunity. Needs to have more decision making devolved from the mothership.

Make sure remuneration is competitive and we don't lose good people because of a few bucks.

Continuous Frustration

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your roles can vary based on what you are interested in. I was able to learn more about how a company runs, the needs of a company, and the skills desired by many companies. Good pay.

Cons

With a constrained development cycle, the same problems consistently occur. There are easy, cost effective solutions that can be used to reduce much of the frustration that most of the development teams face but management is unwilling to change or commit resources away from direct development.

Take actual action to the issues that the majority of the employees face every development cycle.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place Bad Place - Depends on the department and your Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly intelligent colleagues.
    OK Salaries
    OK benefits
    9-5 Job

Cons

Too much involvement in day to day activities let us do our job.
    Many so called Directors hanging to their job no creativity no freedom no innovation as ideas get shot down

Delegate provide more freedom to middle tier developers community (most of them have advanced degrees please give them a chance to prove just don't squeeze them into a box)
    Change it up Mix it up.
    Don't accept Status Quo Inspire and motivate teams.

I had a great work experience at this company and wish everyone the best of luck!

Former Employee - ------  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - ------ in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and great product, slow growth due to company making changes but definitely headed in a great direction for the future.

Cons

Wish there were more sales training tactics.

No advice just keep working hard

Software Developer

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Good company for learning and growth.

Cons

We should be ready to switch with technologies, in terms of flexibility of learning new skills.

Underpaid and disposable

Current Employee - Software Developer I  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Software Developer I in Nashua, NH

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Direct management, coworkers and essentially everyone from VP and down I have respect for and am able to work well with. Office culture at the moment is relaxed and friendly, with enough structure to keep things rolling (that may change soon, it's hard to say.) I'm challenged on a regular basis when I can get in touch with the resources I need in other locations.
    3 weeks of vacation is nice.

Cons

The Executive level of leadership has made it clear that they are profiting at our expense. Salaries are not competitive with the skillsets which they're hiring. They claim "industry standard", but misleadingly compare themselves to a niche market, not other Software Companies, which is what they are.
    A move of office from NH to MA is causing a huge bump in cost of living, smaller working spaces, and the addition of state income tax on top of that. This means that once we move, I'll be making less than I did when I started. That's unacceptable. It was brought to the attention of the Executive level before raises were handed out, and no compensation was offered for this increase which is a direct result of their choice to relocate. I feel disposable, and unappreciated in light of this.
    On going through the proper channels, the response I was given was essentially "We don't like it either, but there's nothing we can do". That's not confidence inspiring.
    I personally find a Software Company with a no e-commuting policy to be very disappointing.

If you want to be more than an average company that people leave after 2 years, then pay more than average. You've certainly stressed how well the company is doing financially, and seem to believe the company is better than average. So treat your employees as better than average.

Decent company

I have been working at AspenTech

Pros

work as much as you want, but you might get fired if you take on too little work

Cons

no adequate training, can be stressful sometimes, lots of politics

less politics, more training

Less then ideal

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent salary. A lot of young people.

Cons

I don't really learn much. Their code is not documented at all. Most of the programs I work or won't build for me and my superiors don't help me. I feel like I am going backwards and not gaining valuable experience. I work on a "team" but we all work on separate projects. We are all left in the dark in most areas of the development cycle. Asking questions or for direction only leads to a less then helpful email that arrives 5+ hours later.

Don't take the job unless its temporary!

Current Employee - Finance  in  Burlington, IA
    Current Employee - Finance in Burlington, IA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary.

Cons

Very poor leadership and management. There is no trust, and the VP's treat you like your children. Socializing is not allowed! Micro-managers all the way as if they didn't have enough to do. Very top heavy with management and some of the mangers are so unprofessional it's pathetic. Very low morale in all areas of the company.

A good company begins with leadership. People are always leaving because of poor management, and HR is useless.

Promotions are only giving to the favorites.

Take a good look at why so many knowledgeable good employees leave! Upper management needs to really examine middle management's poor, unprofessional behaviors.

You need to build morale, it is extremely low. This could be a great company to work for but it all begins with leadership.

Try not to forget that it is us little people that make Aspen successful.

Worked for AspenTech? Contribute to the Community!