AspenTech Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Was better then got worse

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great working peers work with

Cons

clueless VPs who know nothing about the industry

the management in China need to improve

Pros

salary and benefit is above average

Cons

the management style need to change

Advice to Management

get clear goals, focus on the product

A poor excuse for a career

Former Employee - Software Developer I in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Software Developer I in Nashua, NH

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I very much enjoyed my direct management relationships with various senior members of the company. I found that there were multiple peers here who I could learn from, share with, and foster relationships with. I find that the immediate management and below is a great network both technically and on a personal level. Even people with personal differences I found it very easy to work with professionally and share with. Developing skills is certainly possible, though it will take some personal commitment/drive on your own part, and your hand won't be held through it entirely.

Cons

I am hugely disappointed by this companies unwillingness to raise the bar for salaries, and the bar for the talent we accept as well, all the while touting huge financial growth numbers at meetings, and refusing to pass the direct effect of that on to the employees. The fact that immediate management has very little say over the compensation (reward for effort) put forth is infuriating. It truly is a numbers game, with an abundance of penny pinching in place. We've been told again and again that it's not a numbers game, but the fact that any employee here could point out people who have worked very hard, and people who have worked very little, or done poor quality work, and been rewarded the same speaks for itself. Give direct managers control over their employees, and either trust them, or replace them. Give them reign to reward truly valuable employees, and stop saying that every manager would give every employee a '1' on their performance if they could. If that's true they don't understand management and shouldn't be in that position. It's not an excuse, it's just poor management if it's true. A significant bump in the baseline of pay to reflect cost of living in Bedford (Telling people to commute further to save on rent is an UNACCEPTABLE response. People who accept a position with certain costs of living, convenience of location, etc. expect those to be maintained, or if not, compensated for when the company makes a move to benefit itself). I believe the R&D department will struggle to retain/acquire worthwhile talent unless salary takes a big bump up (15%), and revisit benefits while you're at it too. Make this company one which the benefits are great, and enable the employees to reach life goals, not a penny pinching stepping stone that people pass through on the way to a career. Entry level positions in the greater Boston area, especially the more affluent areas around it, begin at around 75k, more than I make with this company after more than a year with them, and prior industry experience. Neither myself, nor anyone I know is satisfied with the way the move has been handled, the salary, or the disposition of the company with a lack of straight answers for straight questions. It's not the lowest rung on the ladder, but for a company which is leading its sector and dominating its competitors, I expect MUCH MUCH more.

Advice to Management

Direct Management: Continue doing what you can for your employees. I feel as though your hands are tied largely, but continue fostering growth of skills and meaningful career traits in those under you. Upper Management/Executives: Get your heads in the game, and stop trying to flog young new employees for as much as you can while paying them as little as you can. The economy is no longer bad enough to keep us tethered to you if you try it. Be upstanding and generous to your employees.

Great product and people; terrible morale, long hours, low pay

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AspenTech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and people. Tremendous opportunity to collaborate with really smart co-workers. Mid management works hard to support the field efforts. Current marketing management creates effective platforms from which to sell.

Cons

Zero work/life balance. Lack of professional respect from management.

Advice to Management

Act on feedback from employees who work hard and do a good job. Simplify procedures by eliminating duplicated tasks.

Change for the better

Current Employee - N/A in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - N/A in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the level of transparency and open dialogue and from what I can tell there's been a huge amount of change over the last year. It would seem that those that have not been able to deal with that change have moved on and clearly it was necessary for the business but doesn't sit well with everyone. Having worked for US software companies previously I've seen far worse. Market leader in what they do and that is a huge door opener.

Cons

Still evolving and there are some old habits that need cleaning up but for new employees coming in there's a great deal of opportunity. Needs to have more decision making devolved from the mothership.

Advice to Management

Make sure remuneration is competitive and we don't lose good people because of a few bucks.

Sales

Pros

Good product customers really like. New CEO may change the way the company operates. Time will tell but he has a lot of work to do

Cons

Perceived attitude towards customers, internal fighting on contract reviews, how they pay employees, Sad part is there are really good people at this company but overshadowed by a lot of rotten apples.

Advice to Management

Get ride of the good o'l boy mentality and send your mid managers to management school, listen to your customers and provide competitive priced applications vs adding unnecessary charges

Company successful, culture an issue in the past but seems to be improving

Current Employee - Finance in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Finance in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and products, leader in their market, company did a financial turnaround and now growing, new ceo knows that a stronger culture is important. Good influx of lots of new and young talent the last couple years who are making an impact.

Cons

Less bureaucracy than before but still room for improvement. Collaboration across functions needs to be better.

Advice to Management

Exec team - be better aligned. Lead by example in driving better collaboration across groups.

Tough place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair to good compensation and benefits. Successful, world leader in their technology. Great people to work with. Some incredible talent at the company.

Cons

Horrible culture of top down, autocratic management. They do not seek input, just give mandates. 100% risk averse - taking risks is asking to be fired. Workers are seen as chattel - you are just a number and easily replaced, be thankful you have a job and regular paycheck. Zero flexibility in working hours or location (cannot work from home - ever!). No one in the company is the champion for or advocates for the employee; HR is absent. Completely outdated tools / software. Most work is done via an excel spreadsheet. It takes hours to get even the most basic information, where most companies just push a button. Too many good employees are leaving the company.

Advice to Management

LISTEN AND ACT! Listen to what the people that have left said. Listen to what the current workers are telling you. It is the truth. AspenTech can be successful AND treat employee with respect. Old school practices - top-down management, no collaboration, strict in office hours (9-5) are archaic - get with the times. Use current and modern technology. Follow the same standards you preach to customers buying Aspen's products. In 1 full year, Pietri hasn't shown the employee's there will be any changes - none. Surely there could have been SOMETHING done to give them hope.

SLAVERY still exists...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Would take me an era to think of it

Cons

1) Horrible Management 2) The smaller the team is the more miserable you would be. 3) Advice to foreign nationals: Never join this company. You will waste your crucial years in the hope that they would file the Green card.That would not happen or if that happens it would be in the 5th year of your permit. That time you would have no where to go and will be forced to stay with them. 4) Micro Management word itself will lose its meaning if used for this company. 5) Salary hikes are 3-4% which is around $50 on your paycheck every month..lol.. 6) Was sent for a week long training to the South. Took a cab to the Logan airport. They made a big deal out of it for taking a cab to the airport. 7) They call themselves a software company. 95% of the people dont have laptops and CANNOT work from home. 8) In 8 inches snow also, you are expected to report to work. Also they take attendance 2 times on the snow days. Running out of space...lol.... To be continued........................

Advice to Management

Do everyone a favor. Shut the Company down please. You are spoiling everyones career. Start paying people that they deserve.

11. Good Place Bad Place - Depends on the department and your Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly intelligent colleagues. OK Salaries OK benefits 9-5 Job

Cons

Too much involvement in day to day activities let us do our job. Many so called Directors hanging to their job no creativity no freedom no innovation as ideas get shot down

Advice to Management

Delegate provide more freedom to middle tier developers community (most of them have advanced degrees please give them a chance to prove just don't squeeze them into a box) Change it up Mix it up. Don't accept Status Quo Inspire and motivate teams.

RSS Feed </> Embed