AspenTech

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Antonio Pietri

Pros
  • There are a lot of really good people here, who are experienced professionals (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits package - which is very surprising (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture of fear and paranoia driven by aggressive senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management tends to get a little too involved in day to day activities and it can bog things down (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Could be great place - if it were not for the dysfunctional management team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorld-class products, many really good people, salary, office environment. Not a bad place for new hires to gain experience.

ConsA management team with no shortage of opportunities for improvement. Experienced people should consider other opportunities - especially in Houston where the job market is thriving.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new CEO needs to totally remake the management team and professionalize all the management practices. It's a very reactive and unprofessional management environment. Real shame that if he were to do that then this could be a really fantastic place to work. But correcting all the problems will take years.

Tough place to work.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsAnnual bonus assured. Can't think of any other pros.

ConsSr. Management treats everyone like their untrustworthy and incapable of managing themselves & their responsibilities. One example....VPs only have authority to approve up to $1K.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to do their jobs, stop treating them like children and trust them. Delegate authority and hold people accountable. Then get rid of people who can't handle their responsibilities.

Good people at hq, Salespeople are typically aloof

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsGood people, company trying to build a better working environment, you can learn everything as long as you put in the time

Consno telecommuting, could be more flexible with working hours.

Advice to Senior Managementloosen the pursestrings a little bit

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Definitly NOT the right place for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent salary range and benefits

ConsAs with many people in the company, I was told over and over again that Aspen was not the right place for everyone. I certainly thought it would be a good fit for me, but I really should have listened.
    I was shocked at how distant and unapproachable upper management was and how uncooperative most departments were. Collaboration between other departments was non-existant and almost hostile at times.
    I came to the conclusion that my ego was not big enough to fit in at Aspen. I would recommend you look elsewhere. Aspen will most likely NOT be the right place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI will reiterate what another poster said... there is nothing I could say to upper managment that would make any difference. They will not listen.

This place is not worth the anxiety it causes. High worker insecurity, low morale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't think of a single one

ConsThe low morale in the company is a result of the company's lack of effort in listening, communicating and supporting their employees, as well as employee’s constant negativity. The constant negativity among the employees is understandable and very reasonable considering the amount of challenges the company pose on the employees.

There seems to be a pollutive element that pits general employees against managers/upper managers and vice versa. I think this problem is exacerbated by unsatisfied employees who spent more time venting their frustrations than actually working. Being professional does not mean one has to take repeated battement and continual passive-aggressive behavior silently. VP’s, Directors, Managers use fear to get employees to work.

The job is definitely what you make of it (as it is anywhere) but at the same time it also has to do with the amount of support you are receiving from the managers and the upper managers. Since the company lacks communication, a project can get shelved. In some ways it takes the right person and A LOT of luck to succeed in this company.

Turnover there is massive flight of the original skilled employees. Most employees have departed as a result of ethical issues with the way the company is run and because of the mentalities of some of those in the existing management; no one enjoys mistreatment on top of their regular workload.

Don’t be fooled by the farcical trial period and the promise of a higher salary and perhaps even a bonus. Upon completion of the trial period, regardless of efforts and accomplishment, most employees are given a low-end figure and no channels exist to negotiate the salary. No growth or job path... once you get in you're stuck there for years as they tell you "next year" you'll get that raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving advice to management is useless as they don't care and don't listen. As long as they are making money they are happy.

Aspen Technology should know that there are many businesses that put employees first, and internal politics second, and these companies still see great dividends.

Stubborn management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosaspentech provides competitive pay to its employees

Cons-stubborn management, won't listen to feedback
    -poor collaboration between teams

Run away as fast as you can!

Director (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsGood colleagues, good location, free parking. Good benefits package - which is very surprising. (Don't get sick or hurt though - company will penalize for that)

ConsNo room for advancement, very poor morale, upper management never interacts with anyone lower than vp level. When things go wrong lots of finger pointing and no recognition for successes. Threats and fear are used to motivate.

Advice to Senior ManagementKarma - it happens

Explore any and all options first - there are better opportunities

Senior Technical Support Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe employees are outstanding, These folks are good at what they do and love what they do. Their only obstacle is management. They are bright, ethical, engaging, and have their priorities in place. They care about their work, their customers and each other. The only reason most stay.

ConsManagement. Particularly in support and training. They employ management by fear and micromanagement techniques to a toxic level. Team members are overwork and underpaid, but most of all unappreciated and are simply a means to an end. There is no opportunity for advancement or change. Only the 1% of "what didn't go right" is emphasized, and never a mention of the 99% that did. The entire company suffers from poor management, mostly because they are pressured from above. This company provides an oppressive environment. Raises are minimal and recognition almost non existant. Coming in, it looks like a great opportunity, unfortunately, that is too short lived. If you are a college grad, they are looking for you , unfortunately, I am not convinced you will set up for success. If you have other opportunities, consider all your options.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to know who works for you, you are missing out on a great bunch of folks. Empower your team and they will shine brighter. Become part of your teams instead of the leash master behind the pack.

It was okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people, salary, benefits and time off are great

ConsOverworked, little autonomy, senior level mgmt

Great products - cheap company

Prosgood people with great ideas

Consthe company is cheap with it's employees and all expenses...to a fault

Advice to Senior Managementlosen up

Worked for AspenTech? Contribute to the Community!