Aspera

Updated May 18, 2014

Aspera CEO Michelle Munson

Michelle Munson

Excellent place to work

Software Engineer-New Grad (Current Employee)
    Emeryville, CA

ProsGood co-workers, excellent work life balance,pet friendly workplace

ConsCEO doesn't allow employees to have a personal life

Review

Emeryville, CA

ProsBetter and better working environment, very nice and capable engineering team, stably increasing customers

ConsWorkload sometimes destroys the work life balance in a great extent. notch market

It was OK

Pros* free lunch
    * nice commute
    * good people
    * dog friendly environment
    * ample parking
    * 401k match
    * yearly bonus

Cons* ceo has had tearful breakdowns in the middle of a meetings or conference calls. This creates an atmosphere of fear.
    * ceo plays favorites. If you walk her dog, babysit her son or are at work at 8pm, she thinks you are a hard worker.
    * Its not about the work you're doing, but whether you will answer the phonecalls from the ceo on your day off, late at night or weekends.
    * favorites are not always the people that write the best code.

* if you accept a job here, a certain part of your salary is a "bonus". This is arbitrarily decided by management. IT IS NOT ANYTHING YOU CAN COUNT ON. In your employment contract, it will say that the amount is based on performance of the individual and the company's performance as a whole. Exactly how this is measured is purposefully left vague. In addition, it is based on the fiscal years performance. Which, if you fullfil that time but quit before receiving a check, Aspera will not pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, otherwise they will leave.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality Product in a Thriving Company

Emeryville, CA

Pros- Amazing product - unmatched by competitors
    - Intelligent, savvy people
    - High energy office vibe
    - Excellent management
    - Employee satisfaction is important to the uppers
    - Consistent growth
    - Management invests in employees

Cons- Certain employees resistant to change that is necessary for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, Aspera is a fantastic company with much to offer. The people, overall enthusiasm for the product and the path the company is on make for a very appealing landing at this company.

What's not to love

Emeryville, CA

Pros- Awesome environment
    - Positive attitudes (mostly)
    - Room for growth
    -Employee appreciation off the charts
    -Pet friendly
    - Amazing benefits
    -intimate workgroups
    -Gym membership
    - Fully stocked kitchen
    - positive encouraging CEO's

ConsWorking at a company with people and attitudes is inevitable

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! Invest more quality time into employees to make them feel appreciated and motivated.

Toxic and Threatening. No Raises, Promotions, Reviews, or Training. Favoritism over excellence.

Emeryville, CA

ProsVery good core product. I truly believe it is the best and without peer.
    Outstanding technical minds in the engineering group.
    Lunch 4 days a week is very nice. It saves me a lot of money, although I end up working at my desk every day while eating my free lunch instead of getting out of the office.
    There is a handful of truly friendly co-workers.
    It would be hard to find two people (the founders) more dedicated to their company.
    Less than 10 minute commute for me.

ConsAlmost daily threats.
    Almost daily blow-ups in the office.
    There is no performance feedback. Zero.
    No training.
    No raises.
    No chance at real promotions.
    No goals (to achieve which would get you a raise or promotion). The only goals are what they tell you they want you to do.
    No chance of moving laterally to another position.
    As others have said, everything is ad-hoc and last-minute.
    Software is released with bugs and regressions and if you find a bug, it's your fault it's there.
    Low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstill a culture of respect. Demand it. Be accountable and stop pointing fingers back down at the employees. Treat people like people. Understand that many of us have families. Because we do not work 100 hours a week, that does not mean we are not dedicated and hard-working employees. Many of us with families already sacrifice by working 60-80 hours. Make sure employees have clearly-understood paths to raises and promotions. Make sure employees receive training.
    I believe most of us think that your hearts are in the right place. It's time to back that up with actions.
    Get rid of threatening executives who make the workplace toxic. They are killing your company from the inside out.
    Reward excellence; even excellence that has nothing to do with software development. Stop rewarding poor behavior.

Awesome technology, Volatile management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Emeryville, CA

ProsAmazing technology, talented people, flexible schedules, free food and drinks. Aspera's technology is top-notch and there are many talented people that contribute to making it a success. The founders are brilliant. Schedules are flexible and the refrigerators are stocked.

ConsAlthough schedules are flexible, the people praised for doing the best work are the ones that stay the longest hours. Senior Management works until 2 or 3 am every day and everything is "urgent." There are many blow-ups in the office. Lots of talking behind-the-back.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what you are going to say before you say it and keep it professional. Plan better so everything isn't so frantic.

Comfortable, friendly, good culture, free lunch, yay dogs!

IT Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Emeryville, CA

ProsI started working here very recently. I like it because I get to see and talk to upper management on a regular basis despite my pretty bottom-of-the-ladder position. You also get free lunch 4 out of 5 days of the week and it's usually pretty tasty. I've only met Michelle Munson for a few brief moments, but her demeanor at company meetings is one of someone very intelligent and who knows what they are doing. I like Serban. He's also been friendly with me. I like my team members. I have been learning a lot from them. Also, it's a dog friendly work place so there's usually some furry friends to play with.

ConsWell I commute from San Francisco. That's an annoying commute. Not Aspera's fault clearly. I do wish I was more than a temporary worker and worked under Aspera proper instead of a staffing agency (I don't get some of the nicer benefits because of this) but then again, I understand why. I was told my position would be temporary at the start of my employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, you guys are doing a good job. No problems from me.

Great place to work

ProsFree lunch
    Flexible hours
    Great location
    Growing company
    Good benefits, park nearby
    Financially stable
    Good product, meaningful work to do

ConsOffice atmosphere feels a little drab at times, with not much decor (but you could always deck out your desk with fun stuff though)
    People here are kind of old

Advice to Senior ManagementI think overall the company is doing pretty well. I wouldn't complain about anything or say that we're doing anything wrong.

However, I think that if we want to become a great company, things are going to have to change to take things to the next level. That's often going to involve revising products, improving practices, and a lot of assessment of what's good and bad for the company.

More great things to come...

Professional (Current Employee)
    Emeryville, CA

Pros-Excellent core product
    -Work on software that's impacts billions
    -Incredibly sophisticated software development practices and agility
    -Great culture, smart people, fun environment
    -Exciting to work for a company who values your ideas.
    -Professional atmosphere and work ethics.
    -Really smart leadership team
    -Great flexibility and very friendly work environment.
    -Transparency of the organization
    -Very comprehensive benefits & perks
    -Tuition reimbursement
    -Provides healthy and free lunch, drinks and snacks.

ConsFor those who enjoy working in a fast paced and challenging environment Aspera is perfect, but if you have difficulties with self-motivation, drive or want to take it a bit easier, then Aspera is not for you.

Worked for Aspera? Contribute to the Community!

Aspera Videos

Aspera – Why Work for Us?

Aspera’s unwavering mission is to create the next-generation software technologies that move the world’s large data at maximum speed, regardless of file size, transfer distance and network conditions. With the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aspera reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aspera CEO Michelle Munson. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Aspera employees.