Asphalt Green

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
3.7

Maggy Siegel

Enjoyed working aside the people in my department

I worked at Asphalt Green full-time

Pros

It is a fun work environment and I loved the free gym membership.

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth.

Disorganized

I worked at Asphalt Green (less than an year)

Pros

Your co workers are really cool and easy to get along with

Cons

Management is always changing minds. T

They need to communicate better with employees

Amazing work environment!!

I have been working at Asphalt Green full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a lot of growth with plenty of opportunities. You need to see the bigger picture not just "a check." If i was only looking for a huge check i wouldn't look for employment opportunities in NON-PROFIT.

But if you're looking for an amazing work environment - this is the company for you!

Cons

Non other than negative employees employed for all the wrong reasons

Hire quality employees. Its completely apparent who has AG material and who doesn't. Wait for the right person rather than these >1 Year turn overs. Just a waste of time for everyone

Very mixed experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Asphalt Green full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My job is rewarding and challenging at times, which is good. My experiences with the club members I work with is excellent. Much positive feedback from club members and individuals i work with, as well as most of the staff I encounter. A feeling of value is great. Helping adults, kids, challenged and older is very rewarding. Most staff is open to and acts on developing a professional and friendly relationship with those they directly work with and those they just come in contact with during the course of the day. Being a non-profit organization there a constraints on what can be done and budgets. But, that is mostly within reason.

Cons

Some management is unresponsive to positive, negative feedback and attempts to improve the program. Programs and individuals work in silos. Promises and commitments are usually not met. Rewards are minimal. Opportunity for advancement is minimal. Problems caused by lack of responsible management's poor oversight is blamed on other employees. Little to no advancement opportunities. No path to advance, no attempt to build knowledge and experience for employees. You do your job and don't get an opportunity to learn other jobs or what your manager does. Doing things to make your manager successful go unrewarded and are viewed suspiciously.

Action needs to be taken and monitored based on feedback and assessment. A thank you, a note to the employee and included in the employee's file would be nice and I've never experienced that happening. The Asphalt Green Philosophy needs to be followed by all employees and not have some "excused" from following it. Some, but not all Senior Management is excellent. Others are egocentric, don't follow-up/through and don't keep to commitments. Supportive feedback needs to be improved..

Great Compnay, Kids First

Former Employee - Soccer Cooach in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Soccer Cooach in New York, NY

I worked at Asphalt Green part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kids come first. And the coaches know their sport and make it fun.

Cons

Hard to get to, long walk from the 6 train especially during the winter.

The worst job I've ever had by far

I worked at Asphalt Green full-time

Pros

None. Seriously. Unless you think the nasty pizza they bring in from Delizia 92 is a pro. I didn't...it was gross.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Let's see:

-HR and the managers clearly play favorites. If you're not one of them, your life will be hell every single day.
    -There is so much gossip and rumor spreading. Seriously, you'll have to not only do your job but have to worry about what others are saying about you and then defend yourself once you find out about it. Not fun.
    -It feels like prison when you get there. You have to clock in and out each day. They're tracking every second you're there.
    -You'll have to work holidays (or weekends....or both).
    -They employ woefully under-qualified people in very important positions. There's a reason why their downtown location didn't open until almost two years past the original target date.
    -As with the key of any organization, look at employee turnover. If there is small turnover, the organzation is run well and people are generally happy. During the time of my employment, seriously 90% of the people in my department quit or took other jobs.

This is the most dysfunctional organization I have ever been unfortunate to be a part of. Save your sanity and how you feel about yourself and STAY AWAY.

When your employees bring up issues that are going on (either with the organization or with other employees), it would be worthwhile for you to do something about them.

Too hectic

Former Employee - GSR in New York, NY
    Former Employee - GSR in New York, NY

I worked at Asphalt Green part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- You get free use of the facility
    - A lot of the members are well known or wealthy and are willing to help you
    - You meet a lot of good people

Cons

-A lot of gossip goes on in this place
    - Everyone is only looking out for themselves
    -Everyone is in everyone's business

Take action when something happens within the higher power rather then covering up the situation for them

A Community within a Community Center

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Asphalt Green full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Organizationally they are very structured and have great strategies to move the company forward. Excellent problem solvers and listen to their employees.

Cons

All employees even salaried must use a punch clock. Not the worst Con, but it does make you feel like you are constantly watched.

Decent job to make money during summer.

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at Asphalt Green full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some very friendly staff to work with. Good kids to manage and nice parents to deal with. Easy job to do well in. Access to the gym facilities after work was awesome (pool, weight room, etc.)

Cons

Administration was a mixed bag. Some of it was very nice, understandable, easy to deal with, and constructive. Others were a real pain. Job could be dull at times and exhausting (managing kids all day, hot sun, etc.)

Great Environment

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Asphalt Green full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior Staff really does care. Opportunities for advancement. Very open to new ideas.

Cons

Difficult to commute to using public transportation, you will need a car.