Aspire Public Schools

James Willcox

Not So Good

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can teach kids Thats cool

Cons

No union. Lousy Pay. More interested in ed reform than protecting teachers.

Get a life.

Charter charter schools have lost their original intent!

Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Aspire Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Mission statement is amazing! Great culture, lots of staff development. The teachers are committed to their task of educating children!

Cons

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Charter schools were started in order to give local students, parents ,teachers, and administrators freedom to implement programs that work. Aspire is run like a corporation at centralized offices. The local freedom is gone. New ideas are welcome as long as the are consistent with Aspire philosophy. APS serves mostly students of color yet it has no English Development program and no language maintenance program like Spanish for Spanish speakers. Does this make sense in a school that has over 60% Latinos and 24% English learners? Language minority students unique academic needs are not met, fluent Spanish speakers are routinely placed in monolingual Spanish classes where they are bored and learn nothing. The education at APS is subtractive: It does nothing to use the resources that Latino students and their parents bring to school, it does not validate their language, history of culture! In the school I worked at we could not get 5 kids in order to field a boys basketball team! It is hard to field any team at some of the schools due to massive failure!
    Aspire Pubic Schools began with some change, but quickly turned into its own brand of district/corporation which abandoned the principles of local control and independence for students, parents, teachers and administrators- to say nothing about the 60-70 hours teachers at APS are required to put in every week.

Pay teachers more and you will retain more of them. Upgrade facilities. Hire teachers and administers who look like the kids. The entire administration needs to learn cultural proficiency, implement English Learner's Programs and Spanish for Native Speakers programs.You need to buy enough materials. You need to offer culturally relevant courses like history, English and music programs which will validate the history, language and culture of your stakeholders. Contact me if you want real change, innovation and cultural relevance!

Absolutely no work-personal life balance!

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They care about helping kids achieve and get to college. They have professional development (although way too much) to help teachers get better.

Cons

There is no balance between work and personal life. My nights and weekends are spent lesson planning. Everything (and I mean everything) must be made from scratch. There are no textbooks or resources to use to create lessons, worksheets, or workstations. There is constant testing (a different test every week) that feels like it never ends. The school I am at has lacked an effective principal and school-wide behavioral system, and as a result kids are extremely disrespectful and defiant toward many of the teachers. Aspire offers a "teacher resource portal" online to "help" with lesson plan ideas, however there is almost nothing in it and I don't know any teachers who use it. Low salary.

Give your teachers more practical resources to help planning, stop having so many PDs during the week, and pay teachers what they're worth (70+ hr workweeks)!

No Work-Life Balance

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Aspire Public Schools

Pros

-Helpful and collaborative co-coworkers.
    -Informative professional development (sometimes too much)
    -Opportunity to improve student academic performance

Cons

-Long hours (12 hours + per day)
    -100% teach to the test
    -Time after school and weekends mostly devoted to lesson planning
    -Create all curriculum from scratch (good at times, but unnecessary)
    -Low pay

Less hours for teachers.
    Trust teachers more.
    Increase pay.
    Allow for more flexibility in teaching style and student assessment.

Lots of work, little pay

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Aspire Public Schools full-time

Pros

Aspire is doing great things for kids.

Cons

The pay is horrible and you are expected you to work longer hours than they will admit. Meetings are called with little notice and often run over. Excessive trainings and observations. If the pay was better this wouldn't be as much of an issue. Not a good place to work if you have a family.

More stress than an air traffic controller at 1/10 the pay.

Former Employee - High School Language Arts Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - High School Language Arts Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Aspire Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You work with smart, young people who are committed to improving education and genuinely care about what they do.

Cons

Aspire exploits the hell out of this "desire to do good" and works their teachers harder than Foxconn in China. Students are generally unappreciative, verbally abusive of staff members.

Stop talking about how sustainability and improving teacher turnover is a priority and DO something about it. At every staff meeting, sustainability was addressed as being important, although in my time as a teacher with Aspire, there wasn't a single action taken to improve the problem.

Totally unsustainable lifestyle.

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Huntington Park, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Huntington Park, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Aspire Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From what I saw, the teachers and administrators at Aspire are truly dedicated to what they do. They are passionate about giving children the best, and success is celebrated across the board. The environment was pretty supportive for the most part. So, at the school level, you have passionate and talented people, young and hungry for that changing-the-world feeling. Keep doing what you do - and teachers, please fight for what you need in order to stay. Remember that you are this organization's greatest asset.

Cons

First problem: Curriculum and inability to use the curriculum. I was given curriculum and math books, but a few were missing. My teaching partner let me know that although I had been given this curriculum, it was not recommended that I use it very much. I found out very quickly that since the goal is of course a high score on the end-of-year exams, the status quo is that most teachers are creating their materials from scratch and tying it exactly to the test questions (my opinion on this method of teaching is irrelevant - I will do it if it is asked of me, but I wish there was a better curriculum to follow to accomplish this). Presentations, assessments, worksheets. You name it, I essentially had to create it or find it myself. The resources I could find online did not go well with the content standards. So, essentially I was teaching all day, going home and planning and creating materials, even setting an alarm sometimes for the middle of the night to get up and work. Regardless of how much I care about these students' success (and I care a lot,) do you think I can have my own kids someday and live that lifestyle? I stopped eating. I stopped sleeping enough. My hair was falling out. And worse, I had to go to therapy. I'm a hard worker and willing to put in more than 40 hours a week. But this was just insane.

Second problem: Workshops. I was told by a few teachers that I could basically implement any games or activities I wanted into workshop time, which was great because I was able to borrow some games from another grade level - only to be told by my coach that I was NOT allowed to do this. There is a lot of confusion from teachers, to administrators, to coaches - it's like a game of telephone. This needs to be streamlined so that everyone is on the same page.

Third problem: Student behavior. I realize I am in an urban area in Southern California, and I am going to experience some behavior issues with students. However, other schools have systems in place to create a good classroom culture from Day 1. I think that one reason Aspire has such a problem with this is the sudden high influx of new students in 4th grade - these kids have been in other problem-behavior type schools and are now coming to Aspire, and they have not been conditioned to behave the way that Aspire expects them to in order to do the types of lessons Aspire has us do. But also - the year that I started at my school was the first year ever that there had been a school-wide behavior plan. In my opinion, this is something that should have been implemented a long time before I got there. I have taught at public schools and was very able to control behavior with my other students under a variety of circumstances and with a variety of difficulties at home.

You need to make things more manageable for teachers in order to decrease the turnover. You are only as strong as your talented teachers and hardworking administrators. You need stronger curriculum that they can use so that they aren't creating their own materials from scratch, and I would highly suggest an Aspire-wide behavior and classroom management plan to get students on the right track from Day 1 and establish an Aspire culture.

Mostly great people. Sink or swim environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Aspire Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All of the people are really nice. Lots of opportunities to volunteer at the schools and see the students, which makes it a lot easier to appreciate the work done at the Home Office.

Cons

Most managers are too busy to support and train their staff. No opportunities to learn or grow.

Invest more in Home Office staff to reduce the turnover and make people happier.

disappointing

Former Employee - Education Specialist in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Education Specialist in Stockton, CA

I worked at Aspire Public Schools as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

the educational practices in regular education
    the other staff members who are devoted to students and doing quality work
    resources available

Cons

teaching to the test instead by the individual's needs
    no loyalty to teachers
    corporate attitude

It was a good experience to see good teaching practices being taught, but the respect of teachers who do know how to teach and need to tweak their procedures to comply to your verb-age was not there. If you give no loyalty, you won't receive any in return.

No Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools

Pros

Great benefits and incredible opportunities to learn. Lots of passionate educators.

Cons

I feel they draw on your idealism to squeeze out more work than is fair to ask of one person. I want to help underprivileged students, but not at the expense of my own family. There is so much emphasis on evaluating teachers and bombarding teachers with constant strategies to boost student achievement, that I forgot what made me love teaching in the first place.

Aspire seems to be anti-textbook, which means even more work for teachers.

Understand that teaching should be a sustainable professional for people interested in making a career out of it, not just a two year stint for young TFA-ers who burn out and go to law school.