Associa

It pays the bills.....somewhat

Current Employee - Manager Assistant
    Current Employee - Manager Assistant

I have been working at Associa full-time for more than a year

Pros

You never have to look at the clock and count down til the end of the work day. You stay busy. The CEO is super friendly. He knows everyone in the office by first name. I love that! Vacation time allotment is great, they offer sick and personal time and the people in the office genuinely cares about you. Especially if you were out sick, they follow up and offer excellent advice.

Cons

No bonuses, health insurance takes 1/2 of your paycheck. Need to pay more for the work load given. Every time-off approval has to go through HR. If your manager says it is OK , why is HR so involved. They also do not offer over time. With the amount time sensitive work , they should at least offer a minimum of 5 hours OTper week if it is needed.

My manager is pretty awesome! I would suggest paying reasonable salary and offer a end of the year bonus. Having food in the office does not put food on your table at home.

Great Employees, but Awful Employers.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Associa full-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to Arapaho DART station. The best coworkers and people you will find. Everyone truly cares for each other and disagrees with upper management as a whole unit.

Cons

First, I would like to state that I am only donating my time to write this to help my former coworkers in hope that upper-management will change the awful treatment they are giving their employees and to deter the waste of good accounting professionals might take if they pursue a career at Associa.

1. There is no need to have group leads and supervisors in the GL department, because upper-management will not "empower" (a word they like to use) the leads/supervisors or give them the ability to even make relatively minor decisions. These leads and supervisors are instructed to micromanage and babysit their staff. The fault or blame cannot be placed on this level of management for any of the problems associated with management, except for one exclusion (the supervisor who received a promotion from an inexperienced, incompetent Staff Accountant 1 all the way to supervisor in only 2 months time). Upper-management does a great job of hiding his flaws and lack of knowledge to the people who do not need to know. Please management, grade one of his financial reports. It will be a comedy show in itself.
    2. All employees put in countless hours of overtime a month by working 8-7 the first two weeks of the month, which overtime is to be expected in this field. But make sure you don't leave at 6:57 or lightening might strike you on your way out the building. The bell must ring for dismissal. Story: During my time of working 8-7 one day a few coworkers and I were leaving for lunch and walked by my boss on the way out. We made eye contact and he made it very obvious when he took a quick glance at his watch (to keep track of our hour lunch). Boss-man, don't worry about my hour lunch when I am working 11 hours a day for you.
    3. This happy go lucky attitude upper-management displays is a joke! "Living the dream!" "Come on down!" "Go live green" This attitude you display is not helping the morale in your most important department in the building. Find another way to help the low morale because this isn't working.
    4. Don't try taking 3 hours of time off for personal reasons during your 11 hour work day because it won't be approved by upper-management because remember... your direct supervisors don't have the power to make any sort of decisions.
    5. I always had a decent-to-great relationship with all of management and all of my coworkers. We were told by the head of the accounting department that there is an "open door policy" and to talk to her about anything at anytime. Well with the fear she instilled on everyone (even lower management had fear!!!) I can tell you this is a bunch of talk. I was one of the couple employees who did try to use the open door policy but after a few times of doing so my boss said, "It's come to a point where your voice doesn't mean anything anymore." Point proven, next...
    6-8. The director of this building must realize that there are different cultures in the building. I hate to say it, but there are those who code invoices, type in information to a computer & other simple/repetitive positions and the other culture of experienced financial/accounting professionals. A building like this is not meant to be run the same in every department or use the words "fair or equal." Would you rather be more relaxed with those who are careered professionals and maybe have more guidelines in place elsewhere just to make sure a crucial GL department is happy and has a low turnover rate??? Simple answer to me just open your eyes and unplug your ears management (upper-management I mean).
    9. Stop telling your employees what they want to hear to have them only find out later you fed them a bunch of lies. For example: promotions, raises, time off and much more.
    10. Stop holding out. Stop the secrets. Upper-management you're already inexperienced in supervision and employee management you're just presenting yourself to look even more amateur.
    11. Place trust in your professional employees. Take away the Vision 20/20 Holy Commandments before you lose your good ones.

By the way, the only reason I gave this 2 out of 5 stars instead of 1 is because my direct supervisors and coworkers were some of the best people you could be around. They are with 10 out of 5 stars and I do hope they see improvement in the department soon, but I advise future Associa staff accountants to keep searching until you see better reviews on this site.

There's an old saying that best suits this place, "Wake up and smell the roses."

Concierge

Current Employee - Concierge  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Concierge in Austin, TX

I have been working at Associa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meet alot of intersting people, compensation, bonuses

Cons

-Management does not always listen
    -Management does not always have back with diffcult residents
    -Some homeowners think that they are you boss
    -No movement to grow within a building, managment does not help with trying to advance w/in the company

Listen to concierge more ofter. We have a better idea of what is going on in the buildings...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wrong

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Associa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are somewhat acceptable. Good looking and clean office.

Cons

This place is a joke. They treat their employees like a slave and expect you to have zero personal life.

Terrible Organization

Former Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Richardson, TX

I worked at Associa full-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to train station. The building is new and clean. Benefits were okay.

Cons

High turnover. Always hiring and firing.Trainer did not know much about accounting, but was training newly hired staff accountants. No work life balance. Pay was below average. This company does not even deserve one star.

Please hire some quality people who know how to run a company.

Overall very positive

I have been working at Associa full-time

Pros

The offsite office I worked in was great. Management was excellent and there was a very strong cohesiveness among the employees. Lots of on the job training, great environment, lots of networking opportunities.

Cons

Many day to day tasks have to be done through the corporate offices. That being the case, everything takes a very, very long time to accomplish. There is a lot of repetition of tasks. Want to be reimbursed for something the business needed that you had to pay for out of your own pocket? Could take (and has taken) nearly a month when you shouldn't have had to pay for it in the first place. Want to hire a high school kid to work at the snack bar for the summer? Hope you've got 5 weeks to spare for that process. Dealing with Board members can be tricky, and there is no overtime or comp time and working late night meetings can be brutal. Also, you had better hope your starting salary was comfortable for you in the long run, because no matter how long you're employed don't expect a real raise or a bonus. 3% has become the national average, 1% is the average at CMC, and there are no bonuses allowed.

Streamline some processes so it doesn't take offsite associations weeks to accomplish a small task.

Still watching to see what they will do.

I have been working at Associa

Pros

At my location it is the benefits

Cons

Oversight management (non-Associa) is extremley difficult. Existing managers have little experience outside my locaiton.

Bring in new managers from outside for more broad range approach to community

Great work flexibility but not matured processes

Current Employee - Software Developer II  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Associa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growth prospects, flexibility in hours,

Cons

Chaos that comes with the growth, benefits are ok not great

This is the best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - IT Administrator  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Administrator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Associa full-time for more than a year

Pros

We use the latest technology. We have access to every tool that we need. This company really appreciates it's employees.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at this time.

None.

ASSOCIATIONS INSURANCE AGENCY INC

I worked at Associa

Pros

The pay was the only reason to keep me there.

Cons

You will need to watch your back at this company, the managers have little spies out to watch what you say or do and they will have them look into your computer. NO room for growth and or advancement. Terrible company to work for. If the recruiter calls you for an interview RUN the other way.

The managers needs to be micro-managed.

Worked for Associa? Contribute to the Community!