Associated Banc-Corp

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Associated Banc-Corp President, CEO, and Director Philip B. (Phil) Flynn

Philip B. (Phil) Flynn

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Associated Banc-Corp has changed over the years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThey have a good benefit package including health, dental, 401K and pension plan. They pay a competitive wage for the industry.

ConsThe management in many instances lack people and leadership skills. There is a high rate of employee turnover due to management undervaluing their direct reports.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the people that you work with and that report to you with the same respect as you expect from them.

All over the board

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMatch and retirement plan was a great perk, but other than that, not a whole lot to be honest.

ConsIT leadership is horrible, lots of 'old boys club' with old ways of thinking. It's their way or the highway. Trying to get resources assigned to projects is a nightmare. It's a functional shop, so everything filters through the top down. if you're priority isn't on their priority list, good luck getting anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your attitude. People leave your company because of you. Also, try to remember people have lives and families outside of work - 50-60 hours per week is a joke. lastly, put your egos aside and trust your employees - you hire them to work, let them work.

Change, change, change

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy teammates are why I am here

ConsManagement seem to be in a bubble, not understanding employees' day to day processes or time constraints. Much favoritism shown.

Very open to new ideas.

Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than a year

ProsCollaborative environment. Lots of room to help the company succeed and a general hunger for new ideas.

ConsIn certain areas, the work/life balance isn't great.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open to new ideas. Being a Midwestern bank doesn't have to mean being stuffy.

Awful

Human Resources Benefits & Payroll Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople I worked with in my department

ConsManagement, Compensation, Flexibility - did not have good leaders, under-compensated tremendously for Benefits & Payroll department, bias on flexiblity

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the leadership and compensation

Extremely Stressful, Poor project guidance, lacks vision, doesn't care about customers

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of work to do

ConsToo much indirection and lack of communication

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst remember you actually work for the Citizens that bank with you. Second your staff is what makes you succeed or fail, treat them right and stop making some employees do the work of three.

Dissatisfied

Benefits & Payroll (Current Employee)
Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for less than a year

ProsSome of the leadership was good but not direct leadership

ConsCompensation, Direct Leadership, Work Conditions

Bad. Getting Worse. Toxic Culture in IT

IT Business Solutions Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. You get to work in a 6x6 box that you can decorate with a limit of 2 personal items
2. You get a bogus AVP or VP title for even the lowest rank and file role
3. You get to move to a new cube every 3-4 months, sometimes in new buildings, for no apparent reason
4. If you come in from the outside, you get a management role. Once you are in, you'll enjoy no advancement in your career
5. If your co-worker leaves, you'll get his/her work with no additional pay

To be perfectly honest, the PTO is pretty nice here. You get 3-4 weeks to start.

ConsThe CIOO is a bully who is completely disconnected from day-to-day operations. Director-level management team is a joke. IT is completely dysfunctional, the culture is toxic and morale is in the toilet. At a recent "Town Hall", the CIO and his team read from a script and flat out stated that people are an expense and that expenses must be cut. You might be tempted to think that the increase in job opportunities here means the company is growing, but in reality it is because there is a mass exodus underway.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the dysfunctional middle management in ITS. Stop moving people around every 3 months! Get rid of the white noise system, it gives me a headache.

Thoughtless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-Workers were great, helpful and understanding. The people I directly worked with made the job tolerable. Some Senior Leadership, gained much respect for them and their experience.

Gained a large amount of experience in a short amount of time from those around me.

ConsSenior Leadership - unsympathetic, not understanding of work/life balance, listens but no actions, some leadership hypocritical.

Benefits & Pay - pay did not even outweigh the cost of having benefits, No reward recognition for dedication, hard work, sacrifices.

No career path/growth, was provided false information during interview process. When applying to other jobs, would receive no feedback or information regarding status or reasons for not receiving job offers when applying internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn Human Capital Management, respect all employees regardless of level, have managers go through leadership/management training.

Old Managers stuck in their old ways need to go to make room for the employees who want to make a difference

Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPhil's leadership ability has effectively communicated the strategic vision down the line to lower level employees, you have won, in my opinion, the support of organization members by your ability to paint a convincing and inspiring picture of the company's journey and destination, making employees want to be involved and to be a part of rebuilding our organization.

ConsYou would think there is plenty of opportunity for advancement, but there are plenty of old managers who feel that they "earned" their position and are very negative to new ideas, they shoot your ideas down, because they know they are old and there time is coming. They are fence sitters, they don't follow through, they don't promote or share information that you want to be promoted, they write bare bones reviews, and they don;t know how to do the work in their own department if need be. They need to go roost somewhere else. Am I the only one that sees this? Come on Phil, let's get those fence sitters off the fence and make room for some new blood! Lot's of good ideas and talent just waiting for a position to open up...

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a better look at management and make room for fresh, new, energetic people to fill those positions.

Worked for Associated Banc-Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Associated Banc-Corp reviews and ratings in Green Bay, WI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Associated Banc-Corp CEO Philip B. (Phil) Flynn. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Associated Banc-Corp employees.