Associated Banc-Corp

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014

Associated Banc-Corp President, CEO, and Director Philip B. (Phil) Flynn
Philip B. (Phil) Flynn

Pros
  • Some positions allow for flexible schedules and great work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• They have good benefits such as a 410k match ( (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High workload with everything being a top priority and poor work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management decisions and handling of situations (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits and career potential but drawbacks working at In-store locations

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Associated Bank seems to promote from within quite frequently. They have good benefits such as a 410k match (~4.5%) as well as a pension. In-store bankers (grocery store locations) have a quicker opportunity to advancement as they can move up to be Assistant Managers, which the stand alone locations don't offer.

Cons

In-store relationship bankers get shafted until they are promoted. The hours working in the grocery store location is hardly ideal (Holidays, Sundays, and open till 7pm during the week). Expect to earn less money than the bankers at the traditional branches too. It is next to impossible for the grocery store bankers to reach goals and thus earn any commission (Currently there are only ~2 in-store bankers in the entire company that reach monthly incentives compared to almost 50% of all traditional bankers). And don't expect to be able to transfer to a traditional branch. Unless you are one of the two in-store bankers in the company that meet the arbitrary incentive goal they won't allow you to transfer if you can't meet your monthly incentive goals.

Compensate in-store bankers for the bad hours they have to work, that would help stem the high turnover. Also fix the relationship banker incentive point system so they same percentage of in-store bankers hit their monthly points as traditional bankers.

Retail Banking Is Dying

Former Employee - Personal Banker II in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Personal Banker II in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Better "image" in Wisconsin than the Big Banks.

Cons

Too much focus on sales at the branch level. Although this may vary among branches, most of your day will likely NOT be spent in sale activities earning you commissions. It will be spent on activities such as issuing new debit cards for customers who lost theirs, helping with debit card purchase/ATM disputes, assisting at the teller line, and hearing endless complaints about bank fees from customers. While the company makes you want to believe that there is a potential sale in every service issue, that is seldom the case. There are also "call lists" and "call campaigns" for various promotions and bank products. However, I don't consider talking to answering machines all day as"sales". It's "spinning your wheels". At the end of the day, I always had a headache all the service issues. Furthermore, if I didn't have any sales on a given day, I was often treated like I did nothing at all.

Be more honest about the role when posting for new hires and wooing candidates for retail banker jobs. Don't say "The sky is the limit" when talking about incentive for a new Personal Banker. While the competition may also glorifying the Personal Banker position, it makes more business sense to be upfront about the role at the very beginning. People will know what they are getting into at the start and turnover will be less.

Company does not care about employees

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Elkhorn, WI
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Elkhorn, WI

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I appreciated the training I received and the patience of my bank manager when I was first hired and trained. Associated has a wonderful ongoing training program which was the best thing about this bank. I met many strong employees and great customers during my three plus years with this company.

Cons

Top management either has no idea how difficult and involved the job of a teller is or they just do not care. I left in fall 2013 when they decided we had too much stage and wanted to cut a twenty hours a week from our teller staff. I decided that I would not want to be working there after the cut as I was all ready stressed trying to give excellent service quickly and build relationships with the customers to sell or refer them to other bank products. The final straw that caused me to take my accounts out of Associated Bank was a meanly worded letter that they wanted me to pay back vacation pay that I had already taken. They had a right to the money, but it soured me on Associated permanently.

You should find out why people are leaving or retiring early. I worked at your bank for over three years and "retired" about two years early. The reason is: you are out of touch with your front line at local banks and you need to focus on good customer service. You have lost strong employees and good customers because of your policies.

Relationship Banker

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp

Pros

No a single pro. I guess they never forgot to pay me.

Cons

No work, life balance. 60+ hours a week.You will work 20 days in a row, have one day off and do it all over again. Turnover is extremly high and once you work there you will know why.

At least pretend to care about your employees

Started as the best job, then I couldn't wait to get out...

Former Employee - Customer Service in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Starting pay was high and raises were generous (at least from 2007-2011ish). Training program is very extensive and really prepares you for the basics of the job when you go out on your own.

I met some amazing people working here, and most of them I still consider my friends. If you can get to know your coworkers, the job will feel more bearable for a lot longer.

Cons

Corporate brass is obsessed with "efficiency". This obsession has caused them to adopt completely unrealistic expectations of what humans are capable of producing in 8 hours... Perhaps they've forgotten that people need to use the bathroom, take a mental break and have lunch at some point throughout the day.

In addition to higher production expectations, the company decreased appreciation programs such as annual banquet celebrations and awards for top performers to a literally non existent level.

This company has severe communication issues between itself and its customers as well. They value what they call "transparency" which as far as I can tell translates to "keep it a secret". This applies to fees, product and policy changes, etc.

I'll never be a customer here, especially after having been forced to open an account if I wanted to continue to receive my direct deposit.

Remember that you employ humans... They are not machines. Go back to the pre-Phil Flynn ideas of high morale, realistic expectations and showing appreciation for employees. People are more likely to rise.to the new challenges when they feel appreciated.

Lack of vision, direction and leadership

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and popcorn. The CEO has a great vision on taking the company to the next level.

Cons

Senior Management lack leadership skills, they set unrealistic expectations and lack experience. The company is a culture that's encourages confrontation and throwing people under the bus which makes it difficult to work in teams because no one wants to work and never take accountability. Leadership lack experience and the culture of the company is negative because majority of the people are unhappy and negative which makes it hard to implement change. They lack consistency and use a hard hand to lead thinking that's going to get people to work.

Take leadership courses on how to be an effective leader. Learn to be consistent and go to school to become educated. The leadership team is a bunch of talkers and not doers and lack experience.

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to run your business as you see fit. Good resources.

Cons

Lack of stability in banking as a whole. Regional banks are on the bubble in terms of being sold or expanding.

Have a plan and communicate vision clearly.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love working with the older clients. They are a pleasure and brighten my day. It's nice to help those that have specific financial needs and are truly interested in your assistance. Great group of co-workers. Everyone has a job to do and they do it well. Work atmosphere is fine. Associated is an a older regional company that has a stellar call center that clients really appreciate. It makes my position so much better to know that I can count on the call center to answer questions right away. Pay is average for the market. No one is going to get rich in lower levels of banking but they do compensate with a nice 401K and they even slip in extra "bonus" into a retirement fund based on bank profitability and your yearly salary. With a fairly high turnover rate, anyone that has the gumption to move up the ladder has a fair chance to do so. I would guess that if you want to move up, a college degree would help. Stress level is low to medium which is a big plus. It's no fun working in a meat grinder environment like some of the other banks.

Cons

Turnover is high in branch management and other positions. I'm not sure why but I guess everyone wants to get paid more and that keeps the turn rate fairly high. As with any job your direct supervisor or manager can make it a great place to work or a not so great place to work. If you get a bad manager just hold on for a year or two and they generally move on. Another annoyance is that we were told to start unlocking the doors early and leave then unlocked late so that customers can get there early and stay late. I understand that you want to be flexible but that is what ATM machines are for. Customers could pick up the phone and make an appointment or let us know they were running late and we would accommodate without having everyone stick around on a daily basis. Commission structures are always changing. Sometimes they are obtainable and other times they are impossible to meet.

Upper management is doing a great job. Figure out why the turn over rate is so high, write a retention guide then implement it.

Good place to work

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp

Pros

training, co-workers, very good branch culture

Cons

Management politics, better incentive

Good opportunites for those who seek them out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In general, the executive team does a great job of running this company. They guided the bank through some tough years, but through it all, things have been looking up. There are good opportunites for internal promotion and career advancement; although, it does seems to make a big difference if you have connections with people who have power within the organization. I guess it's true here, just like anywhere else, it's not all about what you know, but who you know. Benefits are solid, premiums are reasonable, employer retirement contributions are pretty generous. Work-life balance is great in my position, and seems to be for most other people as well (at least in the corporate offices).

Cons

The biggest negative here is compensation. Of course, at every company everyone wishes they were paid more. But the issue here is equity. People doing the same job can be paid vastly different sums, especially when comparing simlar work between departments. I'm talking 30%+ in many cases; this is not some quibble over a thousand dollars or so.

Equity issues really drain morale in some areas of the company. There's no reason someone right out of school should be making more than a person who's been in the industry for a decade. Keep up the good benefits offerings. Don't cave to the pressue to cut costs. Keep this a company of shared prosperity. Yes, shareholders are important. But without good, happy, and secure employees, there is no shareholder value.

Associated Banc-Corp Photos