Associated Banc-Corp

Updated August 27, 2014
3.1

Associated Banc-Corp President, CEO, and Director Philip B. (Phil) Flynn
Philip B. (Phil) Flynn

Pros
  • Some positions allow for flexible schedules and great work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Big company - lots of growth oportunities and somewhat good benefits package (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High workload with everything being a top priority and poor work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management decisions and handling of situations (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to run your business as you see fit. Good resources.

Cons

Lack of stability in banking as a whole. Regional banks are on the bubble in terms of being sold or expanding.

Have a plan and communicate vision clearly.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love working with the older clients. They are a pleasure and brighten my day. It's nice to help those that have specific financial needs and are truly interested in your assistance. Great group of co-workers. Everyone has a job to do and they do it well. Work atmosphere is fine. Associated is an a older regional company that has a stellar call center that clients really appreciate. It makes my position so much better to know that I can count on the call center to answer questions right away. Pay is average for the market. No one is going to get rich in lower levels of banking but they do compensate with a nice 401K and they even slip in extra "bonus" into a retirement fund based on bank profitability and your yearly salary. With a fairly high turnover rate, anyone that has the gumption to move up the ladder has a fair chance to do so. I would guess that if you want to move up, a college degree would help. Stress level is low to medium which is a big plus. It's no fun working in a meat grinder environment like some of the other banks.

Cons

Turnover is high in branch management and other positions. I'm not sure why but I guess everyone wants to get paid more and that keeps the turn rate fairly high. As with any job your direct supervisor or manager can make it a great place to work or a not so great place to work. If you get a bad manager just hold on for a year or two and they generally move on. Another annoyance is that we were told to start unlocking the doors early and leave then unlocked late so that customers can get there early and stay late. I understand that you want to be flexible but that is what ATM machines are for. Customers could pick up the phone and make an appointment or let us know they were running late and we would accommodate without having everyone stick around on a daily basis. Commission structures are always changing. Sometimes they are obtainable and other times they are impossible to meet.

Upper management is doing a great job. Figure out why the turn over rate is so high, write a retention guide then implement it.

Good place to work

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp

Pros

training, co-workers, very good branch culture

Cons

Management politics, better incentive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good opportunites for those who seek them out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In general, the executive team does a great job of running this company. They guided the bank through some tough years, but through it all, things have been looking up. There are good opportunites for internal promotion and career advancement; although, it does seems to make a big difference if you have connections with people who have power within the organization. I guess it's true here, just like anywhere else, it's not all about what you know, but who you know. Benefits are solid, premiums are reasonable, employer retirement contributions are pretty generous. Work-life balance is great in my position, and seems to be for most other people as well (at least in the corporate offices).

Cons

The biggest negative here is compensation. Of course, at every company everyone wishes they were paid more. But the issue here is equity. People doing the same job can be paid vastly different sums, especially when comparing simlar work between departments. I'm talking 30%+ in many cases; this is not some quibble over a thousand dollars or so.

Equity issues really drain morale in some areas of the company. There's no reason someone right out of school should be making more than a person who's been in the industry for a decade. Keep up the good benefits offerings. Don't cave to the pressue to cut costs. Keep this a company of shared prosperity. Yes, shareholders are important. But without good, happy, and secure employees, there is no shareholder value.

Fake Political Show

Former Employee - Teller Supervisor
    Former Employee - Teller Supervisor

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Training programs and trainers are EXCELLENT
    - Benefits are good

Cons

- Compensation is bottom rung. I was embarrassed with some of the salaries that I had to offer to new employees.
    - Little effort spent on Marketing in the Minnesota market.
    - Verint scheduling system runs staffing like a joke. One teller and one banker? This delivers poor service to customers when everything is in DUAL CONTROL and you constantly have insufficient staffing. Couldn't schedule a vacation without worrying about coverage.
     - Lower Management is terrible. My exempt managers rarely put in close to 30 hours per week. Constantly lying about "business appointments".
    - People are WAY too involved in each other's personal lives. It makes it really uncomfortable.
    - I had a DM that was sneaking around with someone in facilities (both married employees)... closed door meetings for 3+ hours... (shaking my head)
    - People are constantly leaving and moving positions. Never the same face in the same place for more than 3 months at a time.
    - Very political. Unnecessarily so. If you weren't liked, you had no potential of upward movement.
    - Although training programs are steller at Associated, good luck getting to training.
    - HR departments are biased towards Senior Management and tends to side with them on many pressing issues.

Get down to the BRANCH LEVEL. Not in a fake way... really DIG IN and find out what is actually going on. There is a lot of BS that comes up the management chain. Don't believe something at face value. Talk to the tellers and bankers in a way that will let them feel free to really share.

Good department...not sure on the direction of the company

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Department and Managers.
    Not great potential for growth and advancement.

Cons

New direction of company removing good jobs from the area.

I love it here! Challenging, meaningful so many opportunities for my future!

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

PTO, compensation, co-workers to name a few. My work in meaningful. I am heard, my ideas matter. I am able to grow professionally and personally in a safe environment.

Cons

I need to find my own work life balance... That's a me issue not a company issues. I am encouraged to do so.

Our open and honest meetings about the company about where we are going are great. Not all colleagues will go the extra mile or want to participate, we should work on reaching them.

Good people, but change is frequent

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time

Pros

Good PTO, chances at promotions, excellent retirement plan/401k, and great chances to form solid partnerships with fellow colleagues.

Cons

Changes all the time. Always changing. Nothing ever remains the same. Sales pressure can be pushed too frequently.

Great Service Poor recruiting

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp

Pros

Great pay, Great Benefits

Cons

Always short staffed limited career growth in the Minnesota Market

In the process of streamlining processes

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many changes going on to reduce overhead costs, bottom line has gotten back on track. Good benefits and PTO.

Cons

Tends to be siloed, right hand and left hand tend to not know what the other is doing.

Worked for Associated Banc-Corp? Contribute to the Community!