Associated Banc-Corp

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014

Associated Banc-Corp President, CEO, and Director Philip B. (Phil) Flynn
Philip B. (Phil) Flynn

Pros
  • Some positions allow for flexible schedules and great work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• They have good benefits such as a 410k match ( (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High workload with everything being a top priority and poor work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management decisions and handling of situations (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good department...not sure on the direction of the company

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Department and Managers.
    Not great potential for growth and advancement.

Cons

New direction of company removing good jobs from the area.

Good people, but change is frequent

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time

Pros

Good PTO, chances at promotions, excellent retirement plan/401k, and great chances to form solid partnerships with fellow colleagues.

Cons

Changes all the time. Always changing. Nothing ever remains the same. Sales pressure can be pushed too frequently.

In the process of streamlining processes

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many changes going on to reduce overhead costs, bottom line has gotten back on track. Good benefits and PTO.

Cons

Tends to be siloed, right hand and left hand tend to not know what the other is doing.

Great Service Poor recruiting

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp

Pros

Great pay, Great Benefits

Cons

Always short staffed limited career growth in the Minnesota Market

Fake Political Show

Former Employee - Teller Supervisor
    Former Employee - Teller Supervisor

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Training programs and trainers are EXCELLENT
    - Benefits are good

Cons

- Compensation is bottom rung. I was embarrassed with some of the salaries that I had to offer to new employees.
    - Little effort spent on Marketing in the Minnesota market.
    - Verint scheduling system runs staffing like a joke. One teller and one banker? This delivers poor service to customers when everything is in DUAL CONTROL and you constantly have insufficient staffing. Couldn't schedule a vacation without worrying about coverage.
     - Lower Management is terrible. My exempt managers rarely put in close to 30 hours per week. Constantly lying about "business appointments".
    - People are WAY too involved in each other's personal lives. It makes it really uncomfortable.
    - I had a DM that was sneaking around with someone in facilities (both married employees)... closed door meetings for 3+ hours... (shaking my head)
    - People are constantly leaving and moving positions. Never the same face in the same place for more than 3 months at a time.
    - Very political. Unnecessarily so. If you weren't liked, you had no potential of upward movement.
    - Although training programs are steller at Associated, good luck getting to training.
    - HR departments are biased towards Senior Management and tends to side with them on many pressing issues.

Get down to the BRANCH LEVEL. Not in a fake way... really DIG IN and find out what is actually going on. There is a lot of BS that comes up the management chain. Don't believe something at face value. Talk to the tellers and bankers in a way that will let them feel free to really share.

I love it here! Challenging, meaningful so many opportunities for my future!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PTO, compensation, co-workers to name a few. My work in meaningful. I am heard, my ideas matter. I am able to grow professionally and personally in a safe environment.

Cons

I need to find my own work life balance... That's a me issue not a company issues. I am encouraged to do so.

Our open and honest meetings about the company about where we are going are great. Not all colleagues will go the extra mile or want to participate, we should work on reaching them.

Infrastructure still needs a lot of work.

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp

Pros

Friendly, conscientious, helpful co-workers. One of the best groups of people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Too many meetings and many are unproductive. People do need time to actually get their work done.

Project plans are created and put into place without identifying all the critical stakeholders. Arbitrary deadlines are set and deemed to be more important than getting the work done right the first time. Communication and coordination between different lines of business is not consistent.

From a systems perspective, it is like stepping back into the 1990’s. Too many IT systems and the majority do not interact with each other, requiring manual intervention to complete daily workload.

Build your internal bench strength. Implement total quality management training in lines of business and at all levels of the organization. Upgrade and simplify IT systems.

Horrible place that has no morals or respect for people.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay, the pto, some co-workers. They are trying to improve on technology but are still 5 years behind the times.

Cons

Management feels the need to insult, harass and provoke employees in front of colleagues. When an employee reports this type of harassment, they are told that they have to adjust to a different type of managing style. Dm, branch mangers, operations managers and HR all cover each other. Company is so focused on Wisconsin that they turn a blind eye to this. This is a low class company.

Start paying attention to Chicago area. Flynn needs to focus on employees and how they are treated instead of only caring about OCC and driving revenue. Show respect to employees and stop letting the boys and girls clubs ruin employees trust. Change the culture of this corrupt institution.

Was excited at first but learned quickly

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp

Pros

-Decent PTO amounts
    -Company Match
    -Pension Plan
    -Made some friends

Cons

-Upper management plays favorites. It is a 'good ol boys club'
    -If you quit before you earn what PTO you use it gets deducted from your last check.
    -They charge you a big fee when you roll over your 401k after you leave the company
    -Pay is a joke. People were amazed when I told them I only made 12.50 an hour with an unattainable bonus structure and horribly strict merit increase policy. My wife was a TELLER at a local credit union and got 3 raises a year and profit sharing and ended up making 14 an hour as a teller while I was still at 12.50 an hour for the first 2 and a half years.

Pay a living wage based on the actual cost of living in the markets you serve.

Care more about employees and you can still have a stock price that your shareholders can handle. Its not all about the shareholder, FYI... Realize that.

They made a mistake

Former Employee - Universal Banker
    Former Employee - Universal Banker

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good products, good vacation policy, understanding for personal (family)time off, training is good

Cons

push sales to much, seem to forget customer service, don't know when they have a good employee to treat them right

respect your staff and pay for what you expect the people to do, salary should match responsibility

Associated Banc-Corp Photos