Associated Electric

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.8

James J. Jura

Currently employee and pleased with this very solid organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Associated Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. You can actually earn a living wage here, unlike many other area employers. Reasonable job security. Great coworkers who are friendly and always willing to be helpful.

Cons

Top heavy management and middle management. Bean counters are out of touch with actual operational needs, and sometimes make obviously out of touch decisions.

Listen closely to the employees who are actually doing the day to day operations.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Intern  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Springfield, MO

I worked at Associated Electric as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great workplace atmosphere and knowledgeable employees

Cons

Politicking between departments and member-owners

Intern Programmer Analyst

Former Employee - Programming Intern  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Programming Intern in Springfield, MO

I worked at Associated Electric as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere, quiet and friendly.

Cons

Not many prospects of full time employment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting place to work, but be careful of the politics.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Associated Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities for overtime (if you are hourly) and an interesting environment to work in given its importance in the region. Most of the employees were great to work with.

Cons

It was nothing but a good ole' boys club and politics. If you were friends with the right people, you'd get promoted, even with zero experience. It was obvious who the favorite teams were. It was an ongoing joke that everything "gets real political". They'd half-ass everything and then blame you when it failed, even if you maintained documentation of their decisions to cut corners. Everything was an emergency that needed to be finished immediately, but they'd never give you the opportunity to fix the problem. It was all band-aid solutions, including when it came to the power management system. A full audit of their policies, procedures, and security would likely result in failure. Those who knew how to fix problems correctly the first time ended up being the go-to person, but then they'd get reprimanded for taking too much time for not simply putting a band-aid on. Some supervisors retaliate against former employees, even when the employee leaves on good terms had has positive recommendations from many others within the company.

Promote based on experience and not on who your friends are. Don't ignore lower level employees when they have ideas. Supervisors need to have some technical involvement instead of being 100% management and not retaliate against their former employees.

Programming Intern

Former Employee - Programming Intern  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Programming Intern in Springfield, MO

I worked at Associated Electric part-time for less than a year

Pros

Associated Electric Cooperative has a family type atmosphere, everyone is friendly and willing to work with you to improve your learning levels. The wages are good although the hours are limited for internships due to issues with unions.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement, its a great place to work so the openings are far and few between.

Great place to work

I have been working at Associated Electric full-time

Pros

nice benefits and interesting work

Cons

it is a very demanding environment

Becoming the Walmart of utilities

Current Employee - IBEW  in  New Madrid, MO
    Current Employee - IBEW in New Madrid, MO

I have been working at Associated Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay if you are in the union. No layoffs in over 25 years. 401K and a company retirement for existing employees.

Cons

It reminds me of working for the government. There is a resistance to ideas unless they come from upper management. When it comes to using vacation or sick leave you are treated like little kids. There is a lot of good old boy politics in management. Certain employees have been given too much power with no leadership skills to back it up. Plan on spending the spring and fall weekends working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for plant outages.

Stop promoting incompetent people into management positions. Too much micromanagement from HQ. Most of the competent people at HQ have left.

Great benefits, ok place to work

Former Employee - Intern  in  Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Springfield, MO

I worked at Associated Electric

Pros

The benefits and facilities are great. Lots of free lunches and friendly people to work with. Great info sharing among employees

Cons

The pressure of working in a dying industry; have to find ways to cut costs while improving quality and profits. There are some issues with old, slow equipment.

It would be very beneficial to have some women in leadership. It seems to be an "old-boys" club that does not value the opinions of women.

Good Employer

Current Employee - Associated Electric Cooperative Inc  in  Clifton Hill, MO
    Current Employee - Associated Electric Cooperative Inc in Clifton Hill, MO

I have been working at Associated Electric

Pros

Good compensation, interesting work, many learning opportunities, opportunity for advancement, secure job sector

Cons

No dental or vision. Not everyone with the same job title has to put in the same effort

Stop letting the squeaky wheels get the oil, praise hard workers

Good job, probably not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Associated Electric

Pros

The benefits are outstanding, I can not say that enough. Management is willing to work with you about almost anything. The company respects family and promotes a healthy work life balance.

Cons

Workload. I am very pressured to accomplish nearly unattainable goals by senior staff. I am overloaded but I don't work a lot of overtime. Work load is intense, but the work schedule is acceptable.
    Promotions, or rather lack there of. Promotions in this company are few and far between. Promotions are very socialized due to the talent in this organization and senior management's / board of director's unwillingness to allow deserved promotions.

Overall this is a great place to work.
    You must recognize, reward, and most importantly, promote the talent that exists in this organization. The company is blessed with incredible talent, but, it is also very bottom heavy. I can not consider my job a career until the company is willing to promote me and my colleagues as we deserve.

Worked for Associated Electric? Contribute to the Community!