Associated Estates Realty

Updated July 29, 2014

Jeffrey I. Friedman

Wonderful work environment!

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time

Pros

Great compensation and benefits.

Excellent properties

Cons

It is a sales position, so if someone comes in at 1 min. till close you suit their needs. (not really a horrible thing)

Make sure you're training your consultants. And while social media is great, Twitter Facebook and especially Pintrest and not effective means of advertising.

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the quality, professionalism and standards this company stands for. The entire corporate staff is always available when needed. I love working for AEC.

Cons

I wish they had more career opportunities in Orlando

Fantastic!

Current Employee - Career Development Instructor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Career Development Instructor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement in any given field. If you work hard, this company will reward you for your efforts.

Cons

Sometimes the home life balance can be a little difficult, but that comes with the particular field. The job requires many of us in the field to work weekends and that can be tough on a family.

None.

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance (very little overtime), no weekends (at my property), good vacation/sick/personal time off, closed on major holidays, friendly work environment, participate in charities, some performance based bonuses

Cons

Health care is very expensive, tight budgets make it difficult to obtain bonuses

more affordable health care, more realistic budgets set

I have enjoyed MANY MANY years working for Associated Estates!

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have found this to be an excellent company and have grown from leasing, to assistant Property manager and then to Property Manager. The benefits are good, the opportunities to make additional income based on performance are great, the training is very good and I love that they are keeping up with the trends and current technology. Often, employees are given extra recognition and are often rewarded when they have done something above/beyond expectations. The company puts money into the properties every year and I completely agree with the direction in which the company is expanding - selling and buying. I feel Associated Estates has very knowledgeable and talented employees that keep this company moving in the right direction.

Cons

Performance is always very challenging every year. The expectations are set very high but not out of reach with hard work. They do expect every employee to be willing to contribute to the success by often doing things that may be considered outside of your own job description, but that is what team work is and the entire staff is rewarded when goals are met. I have seen many different managers over the years, some better than others. Some managers do make threats and lay blame when goals are not met, but there are the good ones too that help find the solutions or will give support when unexpected circumstances cause low performance and help keep everyone motivated for success.

Make sure to focus on rewarding and keeping the talent that you have because it is a great loss to many when those good ones leave. Also, recruiting new employees when positions are open needs more support and active looking and maybe better pay for the skills desired. The property, like any office, suffers when they are under-staffed.

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time

Pros

Great pay relative to other Property Management companies
    Great company culture
    Wonderful people - love my co-workers
    Upper management knows what they are doing - the company is very successful and headed in a great direction

Cons

Smaller company - not as much room for advancement
    Can be "clique-y" - If you don't fit in, you are often overlooked
    Benefits (insurance, etc.) aren't the best

Just like some of the other's. Not setting themselves apart.

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is based on experience. Bonuses if achieved are good. Training is conducted but minimal. Access to the company reports on a quarterly basis via the CEO on a webcam. Encouraged to ask questions regarding the future of the company's portfolio and sales. Gives back to the community with fund raisers.

Cons

Training is conducted but very limited. You are encouraged to ask questions later on if assistance is needed but frowned upon if you do. Not fully trained in all aspects of your position but expected to know everything. Immediate supervisors are not as forthcoming with their time and instruction as led to believe. Mentor program that is set up is limited on what they will assist you with and their time. Approximately 1 hour a week is encouraged to discuss via phone any questions that you have with your mentor but more often than not your told that you should have been trained on that and to seek out the information.
    Implements new software without fully understanding its use. Relies heavily on the communities to work out the bugs. Corporate is lax at getting back to you regarding questions that are time sensitive.
    Health care cost with this company is outrageous!
    It's not so much as what you know that get's you promoted, it's who you know and who likes you. A personality game.

When you schedule a time to be with your staff, stay off the cell phone. Give your attention to the person(s) in the room. Allow for more than 20 minutes a month.

Just fair

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty

Pros

Good bonus structure compared to other property management companies, if you can reach

Cons

Property Managers are replaced frequently. Renewal prices raise so much that residents constantly move out because they have no other option. Hard to even get a new lease with prices so high compared to other near by communities, almost unrealistic. Property managers look out only for themselves and make you deal with resident issues when it's not your duty.

Don't raise renewal rent so much it's unrealistic in this economy for anyone being able to pay

Just another job, not a place for a career...

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Associated Estates Realty

Pros

If you do not like to make descisons or have to use your thinking ablilities this is the company for you. Every piece of marketing materials is pre made of you so you never have to be creative.

Cons

Lower pay scale, and slow advancement. They are always doing some kind of audit. Have no ability to use your own creativity.

None at this time

associated estates

I worked at Associated Estates Realty

Pros

good resources
    commission on every lease
    decent hourly pay

Cons

biased environment
    insurance pretty high price

reach out to your employees a bit more, make them feel less expendible