Associated Estates Realty

Associated Estates Realty Reviews

Updated July 29, 2014
Updated July 29, 2014

Jeffrey I. Friedman

Just like some of the other's. Not setting themselves apart.

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is based on experience. Bonuses if achieved are good. Training is conducted but minimal. Access to the company reports on a quarterly basis via the CEO on a webcam. Encouraged to ask questions regarding the future of the company's portfolio and sales. Gives back to the community with fund raisers.

Cons

Training is conducted but very limited. You are encouraged to ask questions later on if assistance is needed but frowned upon if you do. Not fully trained in all aspects of your position but expected to know everything. Immediate supervisors are not as forthcoming with their time and instruction as led to believe. Mentor program that is set up is limited on what they will assist you with and their time. Approximately 1 hour a week is encouraged to discuss via phone any questions that you have with your mentor but more often than not your told that you should have been trained on that and to seek out the information.
    Implements new software without fully understanding its use. Relies heavily on the communities to work out the bugs. Corporate is lax at getting back to you regarding questions that are time sensitive.
    Health care cost with this company is outrageous!
    It's not so much as what you know that get's you promoted, it's who you know and who likes you. A personality game.

When you schedule a time to be with your staff, stay off the cell phone. Give your attention to the person(s) in the room. Allow for more than 20 minutes a month.

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance (very little overtime), no weekends (at my property), good vacation/sick/personal time off, closed on major holidays, friendly work environment, participate in charities, some performance based bonuses

Cons

Health care is very expensive, tight budgets make it difficult to obtain bonuses

more affordable health care, more realistic budgets set

Wonderful work environment!

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time

Pros

Great compensation and benefits.

Excellent properties

Cons

It is a sales position, so if someone comes in at 1 min. till close you suit their needs. (not really a horrible thing)

Make sure you're training your consultants. And while social media is great, Twitter Facebook and especially Pintrest and not effective means of advertising.

I have enjoyed MANY MANY years working for Associated Estates!

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have found this to be an excellent company and have grown from leasing, to assistant Property manager and then to Property Manager. The benefits are good, the opportunities to make additional income based on performance are great, the training is very good and I love that they are keeping up with the trends and current technology. Often, employees are given extra recognition and are often rewarded when they have done something above/beyond expectations. The company puts money into the properties every year and I completely agree with the direction in which the company is expanding - selling and buying. I feel Associated Estates has very knowledgeable and talented employees that keep this company moving in the right direction.

Cons

Performance is always very challenging every year. The expectations are set very high but not out of reach with hard work. They do expect every employee to be willing to contribute to the success by often doing things that may be considered outside of your own job description, but that is what team work is and the entire staff is rewarded when goals are met. I have seen many different managers over the years, some better than others. Some managers do make threats and lay blame when goals are not met, but there are the good ones too that help find the solutions or will give support when unexpected circumstances cause low performance and help keep everyone motivated for success.

Make sure to focus on rewarding and keeping the talent that you have because it is a great loss to many when those good ones leave. Also, recruiting new employees when positions are open needs more support and active looking and maybe better pay for the skills desired. The property, like any office, suffers when they are under-staffed.

Shady Company! Doesn't Care About It's Employees!

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Westlake, OH

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are none! They could care less about you as a person! They also will do absolutely nothing to solve any work conflicts you may have with another co worker!

Cons

TERRIBLE Management! Management dictates to you what needs to be done, criticize your work, and will even make you do things that are not in your job description! Such as: if you're a Leasing Consultant, you will be made to go outside for AN ENTIRE DAY, picking up trash and dog feces on property, without using a bag....they will hand you gloves and expect you to pick it up with your hands! Which anyone in leasing knows that makes you miss out on sales and money in your pocket

If you bring these issues to upper management's attention, guess what? You WILL be fired!!!!!!

So unless you want to be miserable and have to live with working with an uneducated, unprofessional person, DO NOT work here!!!!!!

Hire a better management that doesn't think they are still working for a Section 8 Property and someone with professionalism.

Also, listen to the feedback from your employees and notice that you have lost two (now three) employees in the past 6 months because of the poor management skills at this location!

Doesn't care about their employees

I worked at Associated Estates Realty

Pros

-None as far as I'm concerned other than it pays the bills

Cons

-Doesn't listen to it's employee's suggestions about how to help make the office run more efficiently
    -None of the programs ever function properly, making your job frustrating
    -They need to update their programs and catch up with the times..in my opinion cant handle the new market they are trying to get into
    -Can't train their employee's, yet act shocked when you get a negative score on your video/phone shop, threatening to write you up and then posting it in a monthly email along with everyone else's score for the month for all to see
    -CHEAP
    -They want two person properties but only want a manager and leasing (leaving the leasing to basically: manage new prospects/tours, follow up, answer phone and emails, handle all new leases and required paperwork, filing, marketing, blogging, posting to craigslist three times a day, market surveys, account billing, renewals, managing current residents and maintenance requests, planning resident functions and the list goes on and on all for $12 an hour....can you say UNDERPAID??!!! Oh and lets go ahead and give you only $50 for every renewal and new lease and split it with everyone in the office but we will give outside relators $500 for just bringing someone in.
    -The list goes on and on

Learn how to treat your employee's and maybe you wouldn't have so much turn over.

Very Discouraging company to work for.

Former Employee - Property Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is always better to have a job then none, no wants to sleep on a park bench or eat out of a trash can. However, don't be fooled, if you get hired, keep looking, you don't want to make this your perminate employment

Cons

Everything will be going well as long as you are making money, I don't care if you have been making money for 2 years straight, the second you stop performing they are all over you, threatening your job. I am not saying it isn't important to make money, because it is, but there are natural ups and downs in the apartment business. I feel if the year ends showing a profit it is good, not here. Be prepared to make money regardless of whom you need to screw, employees, residents, whoever, you MUST make money. If it means you paint your own homes, clean them or shampoo them, that is what you do. When you sit in a customer service training class and hear the trainer say that "Good customer service starts with a budget" I knew it wasn't for me.

It doesn't matter what advice you give them, they will ignore it, but just incase, in the 15 years I worked in the business before I was hired by you I was taught that good customer service starts with the manager/employees....

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Associated Estates Realty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the quality, professionalism and standards this company stands for. The entire corporate staff is always available when needed. I love working for AEC.

Cons

I wish they had more career opportunities in Orlando

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office co-workers are nice, there is a lot of talent on the office level (but WAY underpaid!)

Cons

EVERYTHING-where do I begin? Lack of business sense at the top, ok with losing valuable talent, no idea of how to budget, the list goes on and on

Listen to employees and PAY THEM! You underpay such amazing talent! You are losing big time! Get some business advice from an outsider!

Decent for a short term job, not a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Associated Estates Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not too much. Every once in a while they will give you free food

Cons

The management likes to micromanage there, you will never be able to lead your own projects or talk about your ideas. They need to know what your doing every second of the day. No room for advancement, growth or training.

Definitely need to restructure, reorganize and start caring about all employees