Associated Food

3.2

Rich Parkinson

5 years with Fresh Market

I worked at Associated Food full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paid well, provided a stable work environment. Good people to work with. Benefits were comparable to any other grocery chain.

Cons

High expectations of great customer service without having sufficient help to do so. Managing intensive jobs with very little help and little direction sometimes. Long work days without any allowances for human needs (a break to sit down, have a lunch, use the restroom, etc.)

More guidance and training for new employees would be good.

Lin's grocery: Great starter job

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Associated Food part-time for less than a year

Pros

They hire almost anybody, and they hire ALOT(For front end ie. cashiers/courtesy clerks). They also hire people from the front end to other departments when something opens up. Great community, lots of fun. Store leader does an employee lunch once a month and it is really good. Once a month you get 10% off one whole purchase.

Cons

They start off at only 7.50 an hour, and in the last 4 years they changed it to "Performance based raises" but nobody monitors performance, and if anybody has gotten a raise in the last 4 years I haven't heard about it. When they say they only promote within the company, they really mean the entire AFS, we had 7 people put in for a front end supervisor position and two times in a row they hired people we had never met from a Macey's or something. You only get 10% off one purchase per month. They wont really work with you on a schedule unless you change your availability and then they cut your hours instead of changing them, so good luck finding a second job with this erratic schedule. They start sending you home early if they even think you are getting close to overtime. they don't give holiday pay, unless you are fulltime(only supervisors).
    They are open every day of the year except Christmas day. and you are not allowed to request holidays off.
    They train courtesy clerks(baggers) as cashiers, and then schedule them one courtesy clerk shift each pay period so that they don't have to give them a cashier's raise usually about a dollar.

Livable wages make for happy employees. Or in layman's terms, STOP BEING CHEAP.

Great family-centered company.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Food full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Like the commitment Associated makes to allow employees to live a balanced life. Don't get me wrong, you need to work hard, but allowances are always made for family and other issues that come up. There is an open culture, relaxed dress code and caring employees.

Cons

Because we work for independent retailers sometimes it feels as if there are 400 bosses. Ideas and the results of ones work need to be continually "sold" to the membership. This pushes us to be better, but does present issues at times.

Look to be more inclusive in the creation of committees and teams and is soliciting ideas. At times it feels like there are a certain group of people that are placed on a pedestal as having the all the answers and included in everything. And, I'm sorry, lunch with the CEO does not count.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

professional and organized

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Food part-time for more than a year

Pros

professional and friendly staff in all the stores I worked in

Cons

didn't pay as much as I hoped

the pharmacy management on the corporate level was good to work with, but the local pharmacy manager I had at Dan's was abrasive, and harassing toward me, and I honestly quit because of him.

Very Political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farr West, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farr West, UT

I have been working at Associated Food full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company if you are part of the "family". The company will do anything for their "family".

Cons

Between the nepotism and other politics that occur do not make work enjoyable at times.

People that have a different view should not be overlooked. Different perspectives should be encouraged and built upon... not discouraged or punished. Promoting friends and/or relatives is a joke and will lead to the downfall of AFS.

Ups and downs

Current Employee - Risk Assessment  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Risk Assessment in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Food full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good coworkers, fun atmosphere, part of team.

Cons

Bad management from corporate, frequent layoffs, reduced hours etc

It was a great company, now were becoming albertsons (a failed company) and now were heading in the same direction.

Is this an associated foods store or an albertson's?

Current Employee - Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Associated Food

Pros

Health benefits, vacation, sick leave, schedule

Cons

Ever since they purchased Albertsons and converted to Fresh Markets they have dragged the entire company down. Has become a terrible place to work corporate stores are run by Former Albertson exec's who drove that company into the ground! They care very little about their associates and want horrible yes men" managers to run their stores rather than good leaders. They have forgotten what made us great in the first place and have ruined a once great company. I would not reccomend Macey's or associated foods to anyone to shop at or work for TERRIBLE!!!!!!!

Don't forget what made us great in the first place, I don't know how anyone who is in upper management can sleep at night knowing what you did to perfectly good executive team members for no reason,

I would not consider working there again, So glad to have moved on.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cedar City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar City, UT

I worked at Associated Food

Pros

Scheduling is flexible at times.
    Great People to work with.
    Some limited opportunity for growth on a store level.
    Decent programs and system tools to conduct jobs.

Cons

Poor management within the company.
    Upper management needs to become connected and aware of employees on front lines.
    Management sets up employees to fail.
    Promotions should be based on ability and not who you know.

Milk, yay

Current Employee - Dairy Manager
    Current Employee - Dairy Manager

I have been working at Associated Food

Pros

Huge solid company with tons of job security. Somewhat decent pay and benefits and depending on your location and position lots of opportunity to move up.

Cons

Compared to similar positions in similar stores rather underpaying. Lots of managers meaning higher pay for upper level employees and lower pay for lower level employees.

No need for 3 assistant store directors in every store(the purple people) Instead match what the other simliar stores are paying their regular employees.

Family work environment. Not for everyone.

I worked at Associated Food

Pros

The people you work with are good.

Cons

Information never make it downstream.

Communicate.

Worked for Associated Food? Contribute to the Community!