Associated Press Reviews

Reset
3.2
Associated Press President and CEO Gary Pruitt
Gary Pruitt

Pros
  • Management attuned to need for work/life balance; some interesting issues to work on; opportunity to be part of change; generous leave benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Simply the best news organization to work for as a journalist (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management credibility is low; message inconsistent and at odds with actions (in 10 reviews)

• old and slow; some managers are abusive; little to no pay raise; bureaucratic (in 4 reviews)

1. AP workplace review

Current Employee - News Reporter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - News Reporter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Associated Press full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work is generally exciting, you are working on high-profile breaking news, the relatively shorthanded nature of staffing means that they can't afford to have people covering narrow niches. Most days the time zips by. Flacks, businesses, govt. agencies still want to talk to the AP, so that helps.

Cons

There is still a fair amount of drudgery at times, again in part cause of the short-handed nature of staffing; not everything you cover is high-profile. Also since it is not exactly a fast-growing company and many people stay for a long time, there isn't a lot of opportunity for advancement.

2. The AP

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Associated Press full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exposure to the global/digital news industry

Cons

Lack diversity and minorities in top management positions

A good journalism job but many frustrations

Current Employee - Editor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Editor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Associated Press full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The AP is one of the world's premier news organizations and has done a good job of transforming itself to be a leader in the transition from the old text wire service to video, online, mobile, multimedia and new ways to monetize the news. When you're at the AP you're always handling the top news of the day and it's exciting to work as a team with great journalists from around the world.

Cons

We are often shorthanded, yet asked to do more and more, so sometimes the workload makes it difficult to focus on quality. Poor staffing in the bureaus mean regional editors end up becoming switchboard operators trying to answer calls being forwarded from dozens of empty bureaus. There isn't a lot of attention given toward quality control and improving our skills. AP is thoughtful about about big-picture decisions but you'd be amazed how many AP editors make silly AP style mistakes all the time, and no one really cares to address that and hold staff to a higher standard. Communication within the company can be lacking and confusing because each region or department has so much autonomy. There are too many management layers without well defined roles. The job can sometimes feel like you're coming in for a shift on an assembly line. We don't even have individual desks, we have to share, so the office can feel a little demeaning and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Support your employees a bit better. Make them feel valued with little things like giving them their own workspace they can personalize. Improve communication and technology so it's easier to access the resources we need to do our job, rather than having it scattered across different emails and web pages so we have to try to dig up a memo from several months ago. Pay better attention to mistakes that are made and hold people accountable. Realize that increasing the workload and forcing us to work faster will have an impact on quality.

5. Bad Management

Former Employee - Operations Business Analyst in Sunnyside, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Business Analyst in Sunnyside, NY

I worked at Associated Press (More than 3 years)

Pros

I believed in the mission of getting unopinionated news to the masses. The editors/writers are phenomenal people!

Cons

Upper management, especially in technology, are awful!

6. Exciting Work, No Life

Former Employee - Political Correspondent in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Political Correspondent in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Associated Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to cover outlandish, popular breaking news stories. Feel like you're in the thick of it all.

Cons

You won't have a life. You'll work hard.

7. Sharp people doing necessary work that benefits society

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Associated Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AP had some of the smartest, most innovative people I've worked with. Their ability to draw top-level tech talent is extremely impressive.

Cons

Main development hub is in New Jersey. Unsure if the satellite development office in San Francisco is still open.

8. Powerful brand with an impressive history, however . .

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Associated Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AP is true to its mission - being the definitive source of trusted news. AP has a rich history with many accomplishments to be proud of. AP has many talented and smart people.

Cons

The pace of change is extremely slow, which leaves the organization vulnerable. Investment in the future is second to making generous pension obligations. People don't move around or leave AP so careers advancement is limited.

Advice to Management

Have a better vision and invest accordingly to keep AP relevant. Make business decisions more quickly and have them be urgent.

9. Reporter

I have been working at Associated Press full-time

Pros

Getting to work with extremely talented, dedicated reporters and editors who never cease to go the extra mile when it comes to stories. Always proud to say I work for the AP. I'm always learning something new every day.

Cons

Still no official "Bring Your Dog to Work" day. Just to throw that out there…

Advice to Management

Keep up with the free coffee. 'Tis important to us journalists.

QA Test Engineer

Former Employee - QA Test Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - QA Test Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Associated Press full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced working environment, the people are great to work with (well, most of them), Good pay and cutting edge technology. Good vacation time, personal time and birthday days off, 401K matching is decent.

Cons

For a news agency, internal/departmental communication is lacking. Long work hours and most times is a thankless position to be in. Promotion from within is practically non-existent. Health benefits are poor; minimal at best (pay a lot for little return). You'll get worked to death with very little payback. When done, you'll be thrown away without being given a second thought. WAY too many cooks in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Upper management making some really poor decisions. Eliminating entire departments/groups is not the way to go. If a re-organization is really needed, they should start from the top with themselves.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blackwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blackwood, NJ

I worked at Associated Press (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exciting Place to work at

Cons

Tight company with the budget and management is short sighted

RSS Feed </> Embed