Associated Press

www.ap.org

Associated Press Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Associated Press – New York – “Associated Press Global Headquarters”

Associated Press President and CEO Gary Pruitt

Gary Pruitt

Pros
  • good office hours, decent benefits, work life balance is ideal compared to other industries(in 5 reviews)

• If working for a major global news organization is your goal, you could do far worse(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited mobility in terms of upper management(in 9 reviews)

• If you are not covered by the news unions, there are little to no raises each year(in 4 reviews)

Excellent experiences with hard work

Video Producer (Former Employee) Seoul (South Korea)

ProsSimply the best news organization to work for as a journalist. Money isn't that great, but a lot of opportunities to travel around the world.

ConsWhen a news breaks, you're likely to have no life. You gotta have a passion and pride for journalism. Period.

Vote Entry Supervisor

ProsVery nice people. If you are a hard worker you will move up. They are very enthusiastic and fun people to work with

ConsElection time can be extremely stressful. There are some people who do not do their part so you will have to do it

Stringer

Stringer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat part-time job for someone wanting additional journalism experience either as an upperclassman in college or later on.

ConsAutonomy can be a positive or a negative, depending on how much supervision you want/need/seek.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Second Family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros* Great Co-workers
    * Great pay
    * Great benefits
    * Feels like a 2nd family

Cons*No room for growth as they are on a hiring freeze

Take calls from stringers and input the voting results from counties in the 22 states

Vote Entry Clerk (Former Employee) Cheney, WA

ProsI enjoyed working with people at Associated Press, it was very friendly environment

ConsIt was only 2 day job, I wish I could work more at this job

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was great opportunity to for for Associated Press

Great Company to work but Corporatism threatens the future direction.

(Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI was very proud to work for the AP. I really loved the AP's sense of mission. You really felt like you were in the center of the universe. So many talented people worked there. It was a honor and a privilege to work with them.

Until recently the job stability was fantastic.
    The work/life balance was great.
    I had no problem scheduling doctor appointments or errands.
    The health insurance benefit is fantastic.
    The other benefits are also good.
    I loved my time there.

ConsThe company tries to try to do things on the cheap, with uneven results.
    Management's decisions seem short sighted.
    Initiatives often die on the vine.
    Way too many managers and not enough line workers.

Current upper management wants to convert the AP from a non profit to a fortune 500 company.
    Shifting of focus towards entertainment and less substantial offerings.
    The job stability that existed is a thing of the past.
    Economics presently seem to outweigh all other considerations.
    The union is becoming more accommodating to management whims with every succeeding negotiation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the AP is becoming a regular for profit company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI ask the AP to remember it's core mission.
    The AP has always served a public good - providing the world with factual information.
    That mission is more important than profit.
    Do not forget the well being of it's talented reporters, photographers, technicians, and support staff.

The AP is one of the media companies that will definitely make it through the current crisis successfully.

ProsIt is a mission driven organization, and hte mission is shared by the seniormost executives. This is critical to the effectiveness of the organization. In addition, the AP has an economic driver for objectivity. As a b-to-b provider of content, objectivity allows the AP to see the same breaking news to the New York Times as it does the the New York Post. Similarly, it benefits from selling to both the Washington Times and the Washington Post. Huffington.come and the DailyStandard.com. I haven't yet found another ocmpany with this kind of driver.

ConsIt is not a publically held company, so there is no company stock. These days, that may be a plus, now that I think of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Leading the media world

Decline to State (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe most stable environment in the media world right now. Good salary and benefits. A worldwide reach for your work.

ConsLike any media company, the hours can get long and it can be a bit of a grind at times. But the scheduling is a lot better that it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep changing.

Payment in access, sweat and perceived honor

Reporter (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThere is no company more concerned with accuracy.

ConsMiserable pay, variable management, disregard for personal lives and human needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees more schedule flexibility, better pay, more respect; peer-to-peer camaraderie makes up for a lot of benign neglect and poor direction from above.

Professional environment with enthusiastic employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe high level of professionalism. Friendly working environment.

ConsLimited mobility in terms of upper management. During critical periods, management will push for deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and reward those who succeed.

Worked for Associated Press? Contribute to the Community!