Associated Regional and University Pathologists

Associated Regional and University Pathologists Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Associated Regional and University Pathologists President and CEO Edward R. Ashwood

Edward R. Ashwood

Good company.

ProsGreat company depending on the department.

ConsNeeds to work on the career ladder for those without a college education to retain and reward great employees.

Avoid Entry Level and Life is Great

Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFantastic benefits, free on site health clinic, good work life balance, a place where you can really make a career.

ConsHealthcare reform is starting to take it's toll. The company is still profitable but upper management is starting to put up some red tape and promotions/new positions are getting approved much slower.

The company will always try to sell you on how amazing their benefit package is, and "how much you're ACTUALLY making." Odds are you can find the same job with another company for better pay, until you include benefits. As an entry level person making $10/hr, that hourly wage seems to matter much more, but when you're looking at paying $500 a year for your health insurance versus several thousand with another company, it can easily level out or tip in ARUPs favor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with staff, and don't take so long to disclose things like layoffs. This helps reduce rumors and panic/fear.

Blood Component Specialist

Blood Bank Specialist (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsSteady work I never worried about job security working here. Great position to have while taking classes very pro learning environment. In the 5 years I worked here I was able to put away 50k into retirement while earning less then 15$/hour.

ConsThere isn't much negative to say other then when the days get slow they can be at a near stand still. Busy minds get bored

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management in the blood bank is truly some of the best I have ever had.mm

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be better

Senior Technologist II (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsReally great benefits like the employee health clinic and the retirement plan. Some of the people at ARUP are the best in the business and there is also a great diversity of people there.

ConsThis used to be a great company under the old CEO. He felt that the employees working there were an asset to the company and could be seen on weekends walking around the lab and talking to the employees making sure everyone was doing good. This built a great morale in the company. Since the new CEO took over I saw him down in the labs three times and NEVER on the weekends. He made it very clear in a meeting that the lab workers were a commodity and easily expendable.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the best people in the company have been getting squeezed out, especially in the lower end jobs, to bring in cheaper labor. You get what you pay for and quality in specimen processing has gone down, which makes more work in the labs. I have seen perfectly useless people get promoted in hopes of getting them to work, and I have never seen that actually happen. This happens as perfectly useful employees are given more work to do with less time to do it in. Raises in the last few years have become pathetic.

Amazing place to work for!

Software QA Analyst (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Pros1. Friendliness
    2. Approach-ability by higher management
    3. Career growth within the company

ConsNothing during my tenure

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is going rock solid as of now. No suggestions :)

Good company

Senior Medical Technologist (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood benefits, bonus and profit sharing

ConsI prefer nothing to say

Great Company with Forward Thinking Leadership

ProsI am excited to work with ARUP. We have forward thinking leaders who are willing to make difficult decisions that are not always popular but need to be made to position ARUP for a successful future. Efforts to implement transparency models and practice are very much appreciated - operational and the personal health care transparency model. Keep going!

ConsWe are in challenging times right now - change is on the horizon. Change is difficult but necessary. Hopefully employees and management will stick together to work toward improving all that ARUP does while realizing we are all in this together.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your chins up and continue to strive for excellence. We are entering exciting times at ARUP. I am proud to be a part of it.

Exceptional employer

ProsBenefits as others have mentioned are among the best in Utah. The culture is great. With very few exceptions, everyone seems happy to be here and doing what they do. The company isn't obsessed with making as much money as possible - it's obsessed with patient care. Great work life balance and focus on employee health. People who work here who have not worked anywhere else often have no appreciation for just how good it is here.

ConsThe company has gotten big, and it's dealing with growing pains. You can tell that much has changed in the last 5-10 years and the company has been somewhat slow to react.

Advice to Senior ManagementARUP is capable of more, so take advantage of the company's strengths. Stay competitive.

Awesome place for learning, bad place for being treated like a human being.

Medical Technologist (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat pay, benefits, and learning opportunities.

ConsManagement is horrible and I did not get treated like a human being. As a 7 on/off employee I regularly worked 97 hours when I should have only being working 70. The testing schedule had not been changed in 6 years and the TAT had not been adjusted for the HUGE increase in sample volume. Supervisors are recruited from within, but are not trained to manage people, just samples. HR is for the company now, not for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promote people just because they are good MTs. Being a good employee does not mean that a person is capable of leading a department. Bring in some leadership training and all will be fine.

Good team to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked the people I worked with and the work that I did.

ConsManagement in my specific group was sporadic at best.

Worked for Associated Regional and University Pathologists? Contribute to the Community!