Association Member Benefits Advisors

Jerry Morgan

Invest in yourself

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started with this company in May of 2013. I am quite young to be in the supplemental insurance industry, but I find that a huge benefit for my future renewals. Insurance sales if you don't already know is a long term job. You must think of this position as an entrepreneurship type position. You are 100% the owner of your own company that provides benefits. The best part about it is you don't do it alone! AMBA provides an endorsement to give you a foot in the door. I previously sold supplemental insurance in the traditional way and if you have done this before, the endorsement and niche market we strive to educate and help is the golden egg. As a benefit advisor I can help more people in a specialized way through a company that 100% has your back. I'm not saying this position is easy by any means, but if you are self motivated, determined and understand the benefits of running your own business and building a book of buisness that will pay you residuals for life then this may be a position for you. With this endorsement I will never consider selling insurance "up and down the street" again.

Cons

Lets be honest, few people are cut out to be business owners or 1099 commission employees. If you have to be told what to do, where to go, and how to do something all the time this isn't a position for you. If you are self motivated, disciplined and manage your time well you should do great.

Management is more of a mentorship rather than an actual manager. They are there to help not tell you what to do. They have all started from the bottom.

Life Changing

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor

Pros

I am paid what I am worth!!!! I am humbled for an opportunity to reach for the sky and achieve my dreams.

Cons

You have to be a self starter. The early bird gets the worm is very true at AMBA. Start each morning and work a full day. If you don't do well at AMBA then you probably need a place that requires you to clock in each day.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Working as an AMBA has been very challenging, but yet rewarding

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors

Pros

You receive excellent training on how to become a successful advisor and sales agent, and you can start making money right after you finish training. This is also a great job to have if you are looking for supplemental income

Cons

The biggest challenge for me is learning how to maintain a positive attitude when business is slow, and how not to be afraid to step outside the box

We have a fantastic and awesome leader. My only advice would be for her is to help us to get more products

Best thing I ever did for my family and myself!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic company. Changed my families financial security for life. What they say you need to do, by following the system, works. You just need to do it. If you aren't willing to go to work everyday, a full day, then this isn't for you. However, if you want to do that and follow the management experience it will really be a life changing advantage for you! I have been here over 16 years and haven't looked back yet.

Cons

Really no cons, if I had to add something it would be for the ones who don't want to work their system, work daily, and really WANT to be successful, then this isn't for you. Nothing is for free, that includes a high paying, successful career. It is available here and definitely achievable, just do it.

Be available for all new representatives and take care of them, they will be here forever then.

Great products and great people working for the company

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive managers, employees, and district managers. Great assortment of different products we are promoting. You are able to get paid weekly. Very supportive managers working with you on and off schedule work hours.

Cons

Some out of pocket expenses to start making money.

More insurance training once in the field would be my only advice.

Opportunity

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors

Pros

AMBA is an opportunity suitable for just a few people. The ideal person is someone that is very competitive and organized.

Cons

It is not as easy they lead you to believe in the interview. The main problem is that most of the people you talk to do not want to buy Long Term Care Insurance, and most of the ones that do will not qualify, even if they have no health issues.

Great company to work for that has management opportunities opening up in different markets.

Current Employee - Benefit Advisor Senior Market in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Benefit Advisor Senior Market in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Positive work environment, great leadership, excellent training, products are great for clients, advancement opportunities, great compensation for commissions earned, fast paced and company is growing

Cons

As with any commission sales what you put in is what you get out. No pay for one week training class but you are able to make money the next week in the field with your manager. You are an independent contractor but you are not by yourself. Their sales system helps you achieve income quickly but you must have a great attitude, work full time and follow their proven sales system...it works! I wish I started this career earlier is my regret.

Keep doing what you are doing because everyone is benefiting in the long run.

A quality company that has allowed me to build a significant residual income for retirement.

Current Employee - Benefit Advisor Senior Market in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Benefit Advisor Senior Market in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A quality company run by honest, decent people. They offer a well thought out sales system, quality name-brand insurance products, the best prices in the marketplace, exclusive endorsements, and they don't charge me for leads, brochures, and other marketing material. Although I'm a 1099, independent agent, my manager is dedicated to my success and works very hard to support me and keep me positive

Cons

In this job, like most sales jobs, your success is determined by how hard you want to work, and your ability to stay positive and overcome adversity. This job has all the challenges of other sales jobs -- making calls, getting appointments, and dealing with rejection. But unlike other sales jobs, I have the advantage of the Retired Teachers Association endorsement of AMBA and my insurance products. This is a great advantage, a confidence builder and door opener. This is a commission based job that many people see as a negative. But other sales jobs I have had with a salary/bonus type of compensation, there has been a limit on how much I can earn. With AMBA, I have no limit.

Keep doing the same thing -- maintain the great endorsements we have, continually seek new endorsements, and always seek new insurance products to add to our portfolio.

Not in Oklahoma

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Training is adequate and the plan idea of getting endorsed by retired teachers groups is good. Actual insurance products are competitive.

Cons

Not a workable system in Oklahoma. Another insurance company is under contract to sell very similar products to teachers. We only got into schools when the principals thought we were the other guys. Impossible to make a living. Poor management approach. Initial contract stated that part time was fine. I emailed that I had to do some other work some of the time to make additional money and was sent a termination letter without so much as an email to express dissatisfaction with performance.

Don't even try to sell in Oklahoma to teachers without a better more realistic approach.

Read This Post!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Association Member Benefits Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would say flexibility, but you have a "manager" calling you and checking in with you every other day. You are required to report your calls, appointments, sales, etc every M,W,F and a meeting every Monday that takes half your day. You are a 1099 self-employed person, but they treat you like you work for them. It's just a way for them to not pay you a salary.

Cons

There are several things that I will advise you to consider before deciding to work here. First, consider the commission structure. They built their philosophy and their training around Long-Term Care policies. As someone mentioned in a different post, these policies take 8 to 10 weeks to go through underwriting. There are 2 companies used for LTC, and the one they hype in the presentation as the affordable group plan, is very hard to get approved. Most people end up going with the secondary plan which is a lot more expensive. The secondary plan pays commissions "As Earned", so you have to wait 3 months before you see any money. And when you finally get paid, you only receive 1/12th of the commission paid out monthly for 12 months. The primary LTC company just lowered their advance to 3 months, and then "As Earned" after that. Basically, it sucks!! You will need to sell about 50 policies before your monthly commissions are comfortable. So the best thing to sell is Cancer or Heart policies, but like someone said earlier, they are already hit with these policies in school. These are harder to sell, and your commissions and advances are small, but at least you get an advance.

Before you accept the job, ask a bunch of questions regarding the pay structure. They will talk about how good "As Earned" is because you don't have charge backs, but these are the people that have a bunch of money coming in from residuals.

Next, they tell you that you will be selling to retired educators, but you will find out quickly that the retired ones have been hit a million times by agent after agent before you. You will be hung up on, yelled at, and told that someone just called them. You are handed recycled leads, and told to make it happen. You have to hunt for their phone numbers, and when/if they answer the phone, you basically have to lie to them to get it the door. They will tell you in the meeting, just get in the door. (Let me make this clear to you: I've done sales a long time and know what outside sales involves, and I know that you have to have thick skin.) This is over the top. You have to make calls in the evening, so expect to be on the phone every night until 8:30. You will learn to say anything to get an appointment.

The lead system sucks, and you are forced to make your own leads. The managers seem to always do well, and I caught one passing off a "hot lead" to me that was only because they couldn't get them to answer. I drove by, and when they came to the door, they told me that there were several messages from the manager and they're not interested.

I could go on and on, but I'll end with 1 last thing.

I tried and tried to make it work. I started in the summer of last year, but I just couldn't do it anymore. Even though I worked almost a year and a half, you do not get any residuals or even any of the commissions you had coming down your pipeline. I am back at a major insurance company, and I am very happy.