Association for Talent Development

Association for Talent Development Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014
Updated August 30, 2014

Tony Bingham

Good company - good people - great job!

I have been working at Association for Talent Development

Pros

I’ve been working at ASTD/ATD for over 10 years and my experiences have all been good to excellent. The people I work with are awesome! Very smart and dedicated. The work is challenging and rewarding. I’m busy from the moment I start work until I leave – and I love that! Along the way, I’ve learned to multi-task and work smart and I see that in other people at ATD. Opportunities – if you want them, there are lots of them. I even know of at least two people who moved up from entry level positions to management in a short time. So, hard work and talent does not go unnoticed. Benefits – we have all the normal benefits and some really unique ones. I’m currently taking Spanish in Rosetta Stone (paid for by the company). We are allowed time each month for volunteer work, and HR just announced they are going to pay for $300 of my fitness expenses every year. Another unusual benefit is the amount of paid time off this company gives. And everyone gets a sabbatical after 3, 5 and 7 years! The people in our HR department have always been really friendly and responsive to my needs whenever I’ve gone to them. I know someone who even got help from HR when they wanted a job at a different organization because they were ready to move up.

Cons

Maybe some of the same things that I love about the company – fast pace, full workload – would be the same things that some people would not like about the company.

Before you hire new people, maybe everyone in the department should meet with them so you can be sure they are right for the job.

I just got out of school recently, and I am continuing my education through tons of great programs HR creates.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Association for Talent Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

I feel trusted, valued, and respected. My position allows me to maximize my developmental opportunities and acquire new skill sets. I receive a lot of hands on training and direction in my role, which helps me be more successful.

Autonomy and independence are very important to me; I have the flexibility and freedom to decide how and when to complete projects. I’m held accountable for my work, but that really motivates me.

Cons

We change constantly, and we need to make sure our processes stay current.

This Company Likes to Retaliate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Association for Talent Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent Benefits, casual office attire, free parking!

Cons

ATD/ ASTD is about 80-85% women and possibly growing. Given, there is gossip and office politics anywhere you go, this company can be a bit unbearable at times. I've seen good people disappear without warning for the silliest reasons. Also, I've observed management treat their staff with little respect and the lower employer is the one to leave. For instance, one of the managers gave the 'bird' to an employee and was not reprimanded. Also, I've seen HR and management collaboratively bully and intimidate staff. For example, take a simple matter, magnify it, then fire the individual. I think anyone considering coming to ATD/ASTD should know what they are in for. You are expected to work hard anywhere you go, however healthy work environments are necessary for high productivity. Also, you will not always be told of the additional duties that will come out of no where; you are expected to do EVERYTHING no matter what or who gives it to you. Everything is needed YESTERDAY. If you don't play by these rules, HR will build a case so fast, you won't even see it coming. P.S. no one is really your friend here no matter how nice they seem or how colorful they speak ( If you get the interview-listen to carefully to the colorful language of HR)

Hire a new HR Staff or have Co-Directors who can balance out the need for 'control'. The current HR Structure does not work because one person does everything except payroll. Also, Management should also be reviewed by their staff quarterly. Maybe the staff should review their managers anonymously to prevent retaliation. If a particular department is falling behind, management should be reprimanded or replaced. Its not always the staff. Some people don't know how to lead, especially if they are results oriented individual.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ASTD/ATD

I have been working at Association for Talent Development full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can exercise a lot of judgment and get approval for major decisions quickly. We have a really cool mission and everyone contributes to running the business.

Cons

Sometimes new employees don't stick around long, but people who like to work hard always stay and love it. You have to enjoy working hard. When we interview, we should be able to identify people who don't fit that model.

Terrible Management, Deplorable HR

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time

Pros

Location and .25 cent sodas.

Cons

Lots of managers and little leadership. Poor employee engagement and little empathy for employee needs.
    All seems fine until you question the processes and suggest improvement opportunities. Then you're a trouble-maker and will be gone shortly.
    Long hours for the conscientious employees - without much consideration or reward.
    Constant staff turnover. Employees disappear without explanation - other than a vague departure e-mail.
    No "real" transparency - management says one thing and does the opposite.
    Low pay for the average employee - inflated pay for the "leadership" team.
    No professional development or training - and they claim to be a "Training and Development" organization.
    The open door policy is closed. HR is a threat.
    Gossip, gossip, gossip.

Practice what you preach. Don't take advantage of employees. Fix HR. Reward productivity - not favoritism or "compliance."

Enter at your own risk ! - Finance Department

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time

Pros

Subsidized vending machines and the benefits are decent. Across the Street from a metro station. There are some good ppl

Cons

There is a cancer in this organization from management down! If they do not like your personally you are gone. The work is chaotic and this department lacks procedures. This company talks about being a team but no one has time to help.
    This Company is also 75% women. Mostly older women. Do not come to the finance department. The retention level is very low. HR is a joke. They are not there to help you but keep to keep the hands of the organization clean. When I first arrived a person in the education department warned me of the nightmare that is the finance department. Unless you are a male, walk the other way.

Get new management. The current choice is miserable.

Great benefits, but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Staff is full of smart, hardworking, friendly people who care about doing a good job. Snack machines are subsidized so sodas are .25 and most candy is .50. Option for free employee parking or mass transit subsidy.

Cons

Workloads are insane and the more you manage to accomplish the more they give you to do, usually without either a raise or promotion. Organization is ruled by a culture of fear. Everyone is afraid to say anything that would be construed as complaining or rocking the boat. HR is supposed to be, to some degree at least, an advocate for employees but nothing could be further from the truth at ASTD. HR absolutely cannot be trusted to back you up if you go to them with anything. People frequently "disappear" from the staff. I've never worked anywhere where so many people get fired.

Fix problems from the top down. If there is an "exodus" from a department look into how the director is running things rather than just allowing the staff to dwindle down to the point that new hires have no one with enough institutional knowledge to teach them their jobs.

Great potential, falls a little short on promises

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, 7.5 hour work day, decent benefits and cool extras like .25 sodas. Great place to learn a role and the members are really great to work with.

Cons

The perception of an open door and wanting to work through issues is great, but conflict is not handled that way. Many people simply disappeared when I worked there with an email weeks later.

practice what you preach, use the tools created for the members with your own staff and be honest.

Great people ... not so great management

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Association for Talent Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's always food to share in the kitchen after any weekly, monthly or Board meetings. Smart and very hard working people. You can VPN from home during bad weather or if you child is sick.

Cons

Expect to work 90 plus hours every two weeks even though policy says 75 hours if they hire you as an exempt employee. Be sure to negotiate your salary otherwise you'll be miserable working long hours for low pay (NO OT). Don't expect management to back you up if you make any mistakes however, do expect management to talk about your mistakes to your peers behind your back or to other department.

Changes needs to come from top down not the other way around.

Good people, chaotic managment

I have been working at Association for Talent Development full-time

Pros

The people are friendly and really care about their work.

Cons

Even thought there is a stated policy of what is considered a full work week (37.5 hours), many people work far, far more hours than that. There is an incredible work culture of meetings ad naseum. So much so, that the meetings actually get in the way of accomplishing work.

Employee engagement and work life balance issues start from the top. Employees look to management for the real truth of these policies. While the casual dress code and employee events are enjoyable, the company really needs to do much better on the atmosphere that you don't rock the boat.

Worked for Association for Talent Development? Contribute to the Community!