Association of Legal Administrators

Association of Legal Administrators Reviews

Updated February 4, 2015
Updated February 4, 2015

Oliver Yandle

Great experience and career move!

I have been working at Association of Legal Administrators full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Accepting a position at ALA was the single, best career move I've made. I was provided with opportunities to further my education and personal development as well as advance in my career. Work/life balance is important to me and at ALA I've found that and also enjoy a great benefits package. Work here is meaningful and appreciated; ALA members are the best! Biggest plus - a great boss and fantastic coworkers!

Cons

ALA is going through a period of change and not everyone is comfortable or accepting of the changes. The focus is on innovation and moving the Association forward, making big changes and taking some risks. Not everything will be successful at first but we need to learn to become comfortable with the discomfort so to speak.

Keep moving forward, invest in top performers, celebrate successes and quickly identify/adjust/improve programs and services to meet and exceed member/customer needs.

So Disappointing....

I have been working at Association of Legal Administrators full-time

Pros

Benefits, the ALA offers a flexible schedule (which is optional) program where you have every other Friday off. Now how long that will last is anyone's guess. There are several smart, nice people who work here.

Cons

I have been with the association several years and never have I experienced the current instability the ALA is going through. Ever since a change in leadership over two years ago, the association is a shadow of its former self. In the initial reorganization, nine tenured (many those who brought success to the ALA) positions were eliminated. Now, since August, seven plus employees have left the organization. Also since the reorganization, three Senior Directors have come and gone. The answer lies in that there was too much change too fast and poor decisions by current leadership and the association has never recovered. Now we are relocating to an area close to O'Hare which will dramatically impact my commute. Leadership's lack of transparency is staggering. An office move was denied on several occasions only for the move to be confirmed shortly later. Now we have undergone a "realignment" of staff and with that comes salary reductions. Where is the Board of Directors? I'm fearing for my job and I know others are looking as I have a strong feeling outsourcing will begin of some positions. This is not the ALA I know that did so much more with less staff.

None. More change brings more instability also the current decision makers have put the ALA in its current state.

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Association of Legal Administrators full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The free coffee and tea was fantastic.

Cons

Everything but the free coffee and tea. The restructure took ALA from being a great place to work to being one of the worst.

Great team to move the organization forward into 2015 and beyond!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Association of Legal Administrators full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's an exciting time ... a lot of dynamic change going on.

Cons

Some people have difficulty adapting to change ... as is usually the case.

Be focused, specific, keep moving ahead!

A Great Workplace

Current Employee - In IT in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - In IT in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Association of Legal Administrators full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ALA is a good employer. They offer an environment that fosters staff education and career development. Very team oriented despite the lack of a cubicle farm. Always takes time out for it's staff with accommodations. Easily the most transparent organization I have worked for. I have worked for many For-Profit organizations in the past and each suffered major personality conflicts within the staff. ALA does not have issues with aggression and hurtful behavior and that's part of what makes it so great to work for. I cannot recall an interaction with Staff members wherein someone made me feel smaller or less than adequate for a given task. ALA is a place of encouragement!

Cons

Right now ALA is going through a period of ravenous growth and that can make things challenging--but ultimately all challenges can/will be met. Sometimes it can be hard to see what the end result of all the changes, but there are always moments of clarity which help resolve the tension. It seems like some Staffers expect ALA to be the penultimate ultra-benevolent workplace where you can show up and everything is handed you on a silver platter. Ultimately this is a workplace, but it is a good one. If you set aside the fantasies of cocktails and golden eggs you can understand just how great it is to work here.

Communication with staff is and always has been critical. This has been strong, but it is important to continue that.

Great work life balance

I have been working at Association of Legal Administrators full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best Executive Director ever - striving to move the organization forward. Super nice people.

Cons

Process improvements needed to get projects done.

Need to re-think your Sales and Marketing leadership

Cliquish and miserable people

I worked at Association of Legal Administrators

Pros

They have a nice benefits package

Cons

They act as if the nice benefits package should make up for the antiquated social structure, isolation, outdated rules and cliquishness often displayed by management and coworkers.

Get cubicles, force everyone to work together physically and you won't need a happiness committee to force people to engage with each other.

Sad Turn of Events

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Association of Legal Administrators full-time

Pros

Members are terrific and appreciative of quality staff support. Benefits for staff are above average. Nice office space.

Cons

The quality of the staff and leadership has declined tremendously in the last year. Quality customer service is now the exception rather than the rule. Members deserve better. Best served to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Listen to the grass roots members; it's their association.

Association of Legal Administrators Photos