Association of Writers and Writing Programs

3.5

CEO

Fantastic

I worked at Association of Writers and Writing Programs

Pros

-AWP's mission is strong and its employees even stronger:
    -Health and retirement benefits are generous, and even part-time employees qualify for partial tuition waivers.
    -Very flexible hours
    -Generous comp time after the annual conference and a long holiday break
    -Professional advancement opportunities are plenty--you really just need to ask!
    -Supervisors are very hands-off, so it's easy to truly take ownership of your work
    -Free books!

Cons

-Little room for advancement, so turnover is pretty high
    -Pay is low compared to other national nonprofits in the DC area, but actually no worse than other major literary nonprofits in the US (check their 990s and glassdoor reviews to see for yourself)

-Continue to hire MFA student/grads--they're really your best asset to keep AWP going!

This is a wonderful place to work if you're excited about working in the literary community, but the pay is substandard.

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs

Pros

Exposure to well-known writers, calm work environment, exciting annual conference

Cons

Low pay, little room for promotion

Increase pay

I like the people I work with and tasks I do; however, poor working facilities and low salary is pushing me away.

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs full-time

Pros

I love my friendly and knowledgeable staff and senior management never micro-manages.

Cons

The salary is below market and geographical location average, and no raises, perks of telecommuting, or ever any positive feedback or recognition are offered to myself or anyone in my department. Also, the facilities we work in are moldy, crowded, and constantly have severe maintenance issues that are making employees sick.

Pay your staff the amount they deserve and trust them enough to offer flexible work schedules for full time employees so you end the high turnover rate.

membership services review

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs

Pros

meet writers and other publishing professionals at the yearly conference. lots of books available for free and a high level of intellectual conversation among staff members

Cons

pay is low but comparable to other non-profits. living and working in fairfax is a drag but it's nice to receive GMU benefits.

doing a great job. keep rooting for the little man, the writer, in a world that doesn't much care about us anymore

Hit or Miss

I have been working at Association of Writers and Writing Programs

Pros

Great work/life balance for all employees. A lot of flexibility for your work schedule. Work and hours create little stress.

Cons

The organization offers low pay and very little room for advancement. There is a resistance to change by most employees.

Give people more opportunities to do things they are interested in then reward them when they succeed and make the organization a better place.