Assurance

3.9

Tony Chimino

Great Culture!

I have been working at Assurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have only been working at Assurance for around a year, but I've really enjoyed it so far. It feels like a place I would like to build my career. Assurance really supports its employees and their career advancement/education. Insurance probably doesn't sound like most exciting industry, but Assurance makes it as fun as it could possibly be. Many co-workers are willing to help and are very supportive as well. The work itself can be boring and repetitive at times, but I think that is the nature of insurance. (It's not for everyone, but some love it) The company makes up for this with it's amazing culture. This is likely why they are rated the top insurance brokerage in the biz. I would encourage anyone to apply to Assurance if they are willing to work hard and be proactive and ambitious when it comes to advancing their career.

Cons

Like I said, the work itself isn't always exciting, but this mostly made up for via the great culture. I've heard many people say the workloads are higher and pay is lower compared to other companies in the industry.

The major complaints on here seem to be centered around pay and workload. It seems like you guys are hiring like crazy and addressing the workload issue. I think employees will work harder and be more productive in the long run if workloads are more manageable. There's always going to be busy times of the year, but having a life outside of work is important. This doesn't seem like a HUGE problem, but maybe an area to improve on. Of course higher pay would be great. That's something everyone wants. Realistically, I think Assurance could bump up the pay a little bit (2 or 3%). Not everyone can get payed six figures, but I think a modest increase (especially in the service area) would show that Assurance is invested in its employees. In return the employees might more fully buy in and invest in Assurance.

Dec 8, 2014SVP, Human Resources

We know there's a lot more to each employee than the work they do. We're thrilled you're taking advantage of all the great components of our culture and making a rock star impact. We know that ... More

Great Corperate Culture, Non-Competetive Pay

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Assurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Assurance, there's great people, a great culture, and plenty of work to be done to ensure job security. Management has a very clear vision for the future, and the hierarchy is in great shape. With Tony at the helm, the ship will sail in a great direction for a very long time. Some, not all, brokers / producers treat their team(s) very well.

Cons

I'm sure you're thinking that with such glowing things to say in the pros section, why only two stars? Well, as some people have already put it, if you're not in a sales or management position, you're likely underpaid and overworked. Management does do a good job outlining steps to take in the right direction, but more often than not it's a long road to nowhere until you start looking at other internal options. Essentially to make it upwards in the company, you'll need to bid for another position slightly higher.

The company, currently, has no sales training for their employees. For a company full of top-notch brokers, this was shocking for me as I ultimately wanted to make my way into sales.

So here's where I justify the two stars. With a brokerage that has no current sales training in place for employees who want to get into the sales gig, they are essentially encouraging those employees to find work elsewhere and come back when they've proven themselves. Unless you have a proven track record, Assurance will not take a chance on you when it comes to sales. The compensation for anyone not in a management or sales position is quite frankly asinine given how much the business crests every year. Client Service Representatives make around 30k a year with benefits, while Account Managers range from 40k - 50k with benefits. Couple the pay with the absurd amount of work that sales dishes off to these employees, it can be a crushing weight on a daily basis. The broker's sales depend on their workers, and they ride them especially hard given that they are the ones who will be getting the commission if the deal goes through.

It's time to increase the proper compensation offered to the rest of the staff. If sales does well, the perks they receive in a year outweigh the salary of a single staffer in just a day. This isn't even referring to the commission, it's simply the vacations and benefits sales are given over the rest of the company for performing above average.

New hires are being offered well below their market value simply because jobs aren't being created like they were just 10 years ago.

Don't ever let them know you're looking to change your career in the future or you're fired

I worked at Assurance

Pros

Good benefits, good community involvement programs

Cons

Too many insecure women. Let them know I'd like to change careers (one that still exists in their company), and someone got insecure and worked to get me Out of there.

Sep 29, 2014SVP, Human Resources

We’re sorry your experience wasn’t what you expected. We pride ourselves on our ability to provide career advancement opportunities which leverage an employee’s individual strengths and passions ... More

Overworked and underpaid

I worked at Assurance

Pros

Giving back to the community; ability to work from home

Cons

Workloads are too high and there aren't enough people to assist. The "budget" always seems to be the excuse.

Sep 29, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are constantly seeking ways to improve efficiency in our processes to allow our employees greater effectiveness in managing their ... More

Hard work pays off at Assurance.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Assurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ultimate best part of working at Assurance is that they reward hard work. In my 3 years at the company, I have taken on challenging projects, maintained a heavy workload, and worked a fair amount of overtime. Sounds typical of most companies, but the difference at Assurance is that they appreciate it, recognize it, and reward it. I have been promoted twice, I'm consistently offered new responsibilities and challenged to grow. My managers are supportive of working together to develop a career plan that is optimized for my success, and for the organization as a whole.

Cons

A hard part about working for Assurance is that it's growing quickly! While the growing pains are felt occasionally, the leadership team definitely tries to acknowledge and rectify this as soon as possible.

Oct 2, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback and your continued commitment to making Assurance a great place to work. Your success is what we hope all employees at Assurance experience, and is a testament to our work ... More

Partners, Connected, and In House Resources that goes beyond just insurance brokerage

I have been working at Assurance full-time

Pros

Assurance has positioned itself as a top rated growing agency that partners with it's clients to achieve greatness in many ways that encompass not just today's plans but future plans of growth and excellence.

Cons

The cons are similar to any job in today's market, to stay on top you must work hours that might take away from your personal life if you don't watch for it. Assurance is a wonderful place that wants everyone to succeed and they do all they can to help.

Continue to grow the difference that sets Assurance apart from other agencies and continue to plan in the future for partnerships that will transcend simpe insurance transactions and promote long term relationships.

Oct 7, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, but more importantly for your trust, confidence and commitment to helping Assurance grow successfully. It's because of people like you that we are able to set ourselves ... More

Great company struggling to stay great.

I have been working at Assurance full-time

Pros

The company is young, fun and innovative. It's growing and expanding quickly.

Cons

It's growing too fast and there is no check and balance for the individual teams of management. The Property and Casualty side is well established and runs smoothly but the Benefits side is not. Absolutely every staff member of the Benefits team is severely over loaded with work and management does nothing about it - they're so concerned with double digit growth that they refuse to spend money on enough additional bodies to help accomodate the work. They tout work life balance but that simply doesnt exist for staff members on Benefits.

Implement a feedback system for employees and staff to comment on their direct supervisors and producers - one thst does involve that supervisor/producer asking the staff member "do you have any feedback for me?" You would probably realize that some managers are driving away good employees consistently and you could rectify the issue pretty quickly.

It's just a shame that a few misplaced managers make good employees want to leavve such a good company.

Sep 29, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Transparency in communication remains a top priority for us, and suggestions to help us improve are always welcome.

Great company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Assurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company places high value on happy employees. There is also a great feel for personal and professional development where it is encouraged to take time to attend training.

Cons

The downsides are that many of the lower level positions can be mundane. Many of the customer service rep positions are paper pushing positions, but there are great opportunities to grow into positions.

Great company, great people, wonderful environment

I have been working at Assurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Knowledge is power, Assurance puts a lot of emphasis on education. If you work hard it will definitely be appreciated. I have worked at a few other companies prior to joining this one, this is the first company that I actually believe in. I'm very proud to be a part of this team.

Cons

Workload is at maximum capacity

Keep doing what you are doing

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Vice President in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Assurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding resources and talent. Entrepenurial spirit.

Cons

High pressure sales goals. Sometimes too rah rah.

Keep doing what you are doing.