Assurant Health

Updated September 25, 2014
3.3

Assurant Health President & CEO Adam Lamnin
Adam Lamnin

Pros
  • People are great to work with and a very flexable enviroment (in 6 reviews)

• The company is also extremely flexible and allows for an excellent work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Health Care Reform has made it essential for the organization to re-invent itself (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management, though smart, have lost their way on treating employees right (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It is a great place to grow and learn. There are great opportunities to branch out of your current roll and steer your own career. Everyone is willing to help you out if you ask. Management is willing to listen to you about your concerns.

Cons

With Obamacare, there is some uncertainty on the future of the healthcare industry in general. This has many people on edge of how the industry will affect the company.

Management does a great job in informing people on upcoming changes. They need to keep in mind though that people are still uncertain about their future at the company.

Rewarding and Innovative with growth potential

Current Employee - Sales  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exceptional management, excellent motivating incentives, out of box thinking, willing to embrace new approaches and ideas, collaboration encouraged, rewarding income potential

Cons

Internal competition can be frustrating and counter productive, marketing dept too restrictive and legalese, and understaffed potentially hampering sales growth.

Keep up the good work, but make sure you communicate with team not only expectations but follow through when those are not being met, not with firings but with individual training to help that person meet those expectation. Finally, please do not assume the entire team of a particular dept is failing because of the less than stellar actions/performance of a few. Deal with those few directly.

Okay place, but could be better

Current Employee - CSC Advisor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - CSC Advisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some good internal opportunity to grow and learn. Some (not all) Managers do care to help you learn and grow.

Cons

Pay is not commensurate with experience. The new reality is that in Health Insurance, we will be working 7 days per week for up to six months out of the year. Work-Life balance is terrible half of the year.

It seems that the worker bees have been here forever. It's quite common to hear, "I've been here 25 years". Same goes for the Executive Suite. But, for Supervisors, Managers, Directors, VP's and SVP's, the lifespan is 2 to 5 years. For example, when I worked in one department and moved to another department, I was worth "x" amount of dollars. Then, when the job offer came for the new department, after spending six months in it, I was suddenly worth 25% less?!? Makes no sense.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too real

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Assurant Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Several people there are not trash cans. Many of the trash cans are fairly oblivious and honestly it's adorable. This company isn't long for this world, so let's blow them kisses. 'Cept those trashy kids lol.

Cons

Honestly guys it's a real toilet festival. Like where's the imagination. WHEN DID WE TAKE THE ART OUT OF INSURANCE?? It's just a circus of rhetoric and confusion. The CEO really knows how to get the most out of button ups though and that does have its merits. Another round of kisses for these stumbling fools.

Too late boys. I guess there are some chicks too. Too late for all y'all.

Great Place to Intern

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Assurant Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Worked over the summer at Assurant Health. Great place to work for an internship. I enjoyed my time in Milwaukee.

Cons

For a health insurance company, I would think the food around the office would attempt to promote a healthy lifestyle. Instead it was the traditional non-healthy american diet.

Did a great job talking to interns throughout the summer. It was refreshing to have an honest open discussion with senior leadership on a frequent basis.

Great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, pay, training, advancement, work from home opportunities

Cons

Sometime there is a heavy workload, depending on your department

A Cube Culture

Former Employee - Product Line Intern  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Product Line Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Assurant Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The employees are extremely friendly and welcoming at Assurant Health. The company is also extremely flexible and allows for an excellent work life balance. Just as an intern I was more than welcome to take off for trips throughout the time I was with the company.

Cons

It's a typical corporate culture. There are lots of cubes, decisions made by management extend projects past due dates, and the overall health insurance industry is not for everyone.

The company is extremely limited by the conservative nature of management. The health insurance industry is limited enough due to regulations, but management does not like to explore options with marketing and sales at all.

Direct Sales Agent

Former Employee - Direct Sales Agent  in  Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Agent in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Assurant Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very high income potential. It was a sales job so you could make as much money as you were able to produce in sales.

Cons

On the phone and in front of computer all day with very rigid and strict schedule

Good, but limited

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid and risk-averse. Many LONG time employees (sometimes good and sometimes bad). Many changes due to Obamacare.

Cons

Professional growth is stagnant. The lower than narwal salaries might be more palatable if opportunities for growth were available. Hard to change mindsets as many employees have never worked elsewhere.

Grow and challenge employes as it will keep them engaged.

Micro Management on Steroids.

Current Employee - Direct Sales Agent  in  Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Agent in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time

Pros

Good income potential during open enrollment but then everybody quits. No calls no $

Cons

Most confusing compensation plan possible. Sell a policy and you wont be paid on it for at least 60days. You are monitored on everything you do. Go to the bathroom it counts against you, take to many calls it counts against you. There is a reason they hire 22yr olds right out of college.

No point they wont read this or care.

Assurant Health Photos

Assurant Health

+ Add Photo

Worked for Assurant Health? Contribute to the Community!