www.assuranthealth.com

Updated November 13, 2014
3.6

Assurant Health President & CEO Adam Lamnin
Adam Lamnin

Pros
  • People are great to work with and a very flexable enviroment (in 6 reviews)

• The company is also extremely flexible and allows for an excellent work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Health Care Reform has made it essential for the organization to re-invent itself (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management, though smart, have lost their way on treating employees right (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

You get out what you put in

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, with opportunities for professional development. Depending on your job, there are many opportunities to work with those in other departments.

Cons

Raises are an option, but minimal. For a health company, there are not a lot of health opportunities (on-.site gym, healthy eating options).

Your role & peers/manager will shape your company opinion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits & vacation are decent. Pay is fine. Opportunities to advance are abound, though you need to be willing to look outside your specific area & across the organization. Most individual contributors have occasional work-at-home flexibility & flexibility with work hours. Paid tuition reimbursement as well as paid learning opportunities as well as many HR personality/talent tests available for employees/teams. Many of the people are great. You will find people who truly care about making a difference in their jobs, or to their co-workers and you won't need to look far for these people (though there are always bad seeds too).

Cons

The culture is reactive, and often consists of key stakeholders resistant to change. You will find innovators, but eventually they get beaten down trying to "change the world," and they begin to conform as well. Very difficult to get any process changed ("we've always done it this way" mentality). Those working the call center jobs are under-appreciated and tied to the phone with little to no time for needed training (with this ever-changing industry) and are held to handle times despite being told to connect with customers. Customers aren't always treated the best because the call center limits time for callbacks, so customers are promised a callback, and management won't allow the time for reps to make these. Projects are short-sighted and are often band-aids with no hope of a fix in sight. Who you are and what your title is determines if your opinion gets heard - both good & bad people in these positions. Your personal job can really be affected by who your manager and co-workers are and can shape your daily energy/feelings about the job both for the positive or negative depending who you report to and on which team. Job security is always a concern in the back of your mind because of so many past layoffs. Technology not current - no online platforms for customers and internal systems clunky & old.

Clean house with those resistant to change including yourselves, in some cases. This industry changes DAILY, and companies in turn need people that can change at that pace. Treat call-center employees with respect and allow them the time to learn enough to do their jobs well including allowing them to call back customers. Check in with your direct reports and understand their duties, as well as those reporting to them . Invest in long-term solutions when purchasing technology or implementing projects, not band-aid cheap solutions. Get with the current times with technology!.

Assurant Health is a great company, full of dedicated employees who care about each other and their customers.

Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Assurant Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great employees, structured processes, excellent leadership opportunities, flexibility

Cons

Pay for the area I was in wasn't super, and some of the senior management has been challenging to work with, but those who stay for a long time are some of the best

Keep fostering a great environment for people to work in - provide flexibility, decision-making authority, and opportunities to have fun while doing important work

Run, run as fast as you can away from this company.

Former Employee - Operations in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Operations in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Assurant Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The team (for the most part) I was on for 13 years was loyal, hardworking and fun. You could pretty much pick your hours. Our team also had darn good potlucks.

Cons

I got stuck with a supervisor for the last year that couldn't put together 2 coherent sentences. She swore worse than Andrew Dice Clay. She also had no regard for either state or federal law. Her supervisor was horrible-she constantly belittled us. It was so bad we almost insisted on having human resources sit in on meetings. Also, I sat by a guy that constantly picked on a gay co-worker and older woman. How did the company handle this? Why of course they promoted him! Forced to train in offshore workers (twice-as the 1st batch quite) to take our place-or no severance pay. My ending supervisor was clearly promoted to her level of incompetence!
    One senor supervisor told us we would never be rehired due to our age. When a complaint was filed with HR-the HR person told several members of another department. So that got thrown back in our faces.
    The company speaks a great game but there actions betray them. I have never worked for a more unprofessional company.

Do you really need 1 supervisor for every 2.5 employees? You need to quit outsourcing and find other ways to save a buck. (remember all the money you wasted with the Mars project?)

You need to put customer's first. You need to listen to your employees when they tell you how to go about training new staff. It is unacceptable to try and train and not have the trainees have total access (on several systems 4 months into the process). The training you made us do was too short in length. The gal my supervisor reported to should be fired-she is a pimple on the hind end. She has no customer skills, appears to be book smart as opposed to being able to deal with the real world. She creates a hostile environment for her employees.

Used to be better.

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Assurant Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers are quality-minded, friendly and care about you as a person. Some leaders strong but others are not. Solid corporate ethics. They try to make it a fun environment even though it's a tough business to be in right now.

Cons

Compensation a little on the low side, although not too bad. Some senior leaders are poor and no one does anything about it. LOTS of reductions-in-force. Very hard to see people who have worked there for 20+ years being out of a job. Not necessarily Assurant Health's fault, it's the state of the individual insurance market.

good

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

organized,good company, nice experience... gain a lot of experence in Finance and business analyst

Cons

to many appravals for short project

The first five years were great, but......

Former Employee - Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Assurant Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training. Great co-workers and peers across the country. Wonderful peer to peer communication amongst the sales field

Cons

During my first five years I couldn't complain. After five years the head of sales was changed to a formal disgruntled manager who quit his job was hired back to run the national sales force. Once this individual took over the culture of the company drastically changed and became extremely micromanaged.

Even though times are tough with Healthcare reform micromanagement isn't the solution to fix the problem. Go back to the management ssyle that made this company great.

Started out great and gradually became horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Assurant Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits, training, pay are all pretty good - insurance has become less for more money,

Cons

Most jobs were shipped out to Cognizant in Chennai, India. Most departments were downsized, some were eliminated completely.

Major mistake was shipping jobs overseas - prior to that, never met a disgruntled employee. Now, everyone is waiting for the next shoe to drop - no longer trusting the powers that be telling them their jobs are safe - mine got cut after 9 years. Many employees who were let go were over 50 - at least 80%, what does that tell you? No loyalty anymore - used to feel like family - no longer - just sad.

Friendly, nice colleagues for the most part; great downtown location. Voted several times to Best Places to Work lists.

I have been working at Assurant Health full-time

Pros

Provides a lot of employee perks such as Learning Week offerings, insurance courses and employee freebies, like free pizza and popcorn occasionally.

Cons

A complicated business to learn, and many of the people have been there years. It makes for a demanding environment.

Share more information with employees on a regular basis, especially to those who need it in order to do their jobs. Cut back a bit on employee events to save money.

It was good at first...

I worked at Assurant Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Fast paced environment. Your days would go quickly.

Cons

Micro Management. They would take the word of a computer over their own people that they paid.
    They were too worried about hitting numbers that were calculated and did not look at the source of the production problems...or they just ignored them.

Trust what your sales staff have to say and work with them instead of just reading reports.

Assurant Health Photos