Assurant

Be The First To
Add Photos

Assurant President, CEO and Director Rob Pollock

Rob Pollock

Pros
  • Assurant provides a reasonable salary and good benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits, solid company if more conservative than others on risk (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of challenges to foster learning opportunities and very top heavy therefore there are no room for advancement (in 10 reviews)

• There is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Financial Analyst

ProsFlexible time after quarter and monthly close.

ConsNot a lot of challenges to foster learning opportunities and very top heavy therefore there are no room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer growth should be based on competency and not tenure.

Unhappy, over worked, expecting High performance metrics employee

Hazard Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) Florence, SC

ProsGreat benefits: Health insurance Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield with No Co-pay. Qualify for a raise every 6 months. Transfer to another department within 9 months however that Does NOT include management position. They participate in ALL organizations that Gives back such Relay for Life, they have an employees activity committee that raise money from current employees to sponsor the Big Christmas party at the end of the year. Some managers are encouraging & care about your performance. They offer over time so you don't need a second job

ConsVERY unorganized, there is No training offered until after being there maybe 2 to 4 months, they have VERY high & unrealistic expectations, there is CONSTANT change in the form of an PPM (emails are sent & meetings are schedule) just when you "Learn" how to process one way then an email comes and they want you to Forget how you processed & try it the "new way", There is NO room or desk in the building, we desk share & now conference rooms now WORK areas!!! The pay SUCKS!!! Overtime isn't suppose to be mandatory but if you DONT work an additional 6 to 8 hours they WILL place your name on a "List" (which is NOT fair), the chairs were raggedy & horrible but most of the building has New chairs, you almost NEVER can eat in the "break room" because a department is ALWAYS having a party or luncheon in there so 30 members are inconvienving 150 OTHER employees I SHOULD not have to Walk to ANOTHER building to eat my lunch & I ONLY have 30mins. Short Lunch breaks, the water fountain, Ice machine, Coffee maker, bathroom toilet, bathroom sink is ALWAYS out of order, there is No parking, they hire some dingy people, they Give ANYBODY a job, crackhead looking people with NO freaking teeth in there mouth but write you up if you wear jeans smdh Let Assurant be your LAST option before Accepting employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the performance metric such as KPI in the Hazard Processing department. There is NO way a phone call is factored into those numbers: Faxes 15 per Hour Mail 21 per hour & EDI 24 per hour, we should be in work flow for calls. QA is unrealistic!!! 97% a 90 in the REAL World is an A!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Read this & send people undercover Boss to make some changes at the sites verse sitting in a conference room making changes

the worst company ever

Incriminating (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

Prosthey tell you how wonderful the company is but they don't give a ----- about the employee

ConsAssurant loves to fire people to cover the higher ups but.

Advice to Senior ManagementCant give advice to arrogant people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly managed company, don't go there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey allow some telecommuting, which is good.

ConsManagers don't care about people or customers, they just want you to make them look good. They push hard to get things done fast but don't care about quality. They treat people like children, not adults. No teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about people and quality. Don't micromanage everything.

Risk and No Reward

Customer Service Team Lead (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsA check until you get a real job/career

ConsThe Company definately does not value employees on the entry level-position, they are blatantly Underpaiding and overworking their employees in the Customer Service Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow the qualifications of those that work for you.

Not a place I would ever work at again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI cannot think of any positives of working at this place.

ConsAntiquated ways. Lots of nepotism. Management did not listen to employees and treated their employees poorly. You could hear yelling from certain manager's offices.

Used to be a great place.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsOnly thing I can say that is a Pro is they are in the best city Miami.

ConsLack basic compassion for their employees. Lay off at a drop of a hat no upward mobility unless you're a brown nose.

Claims Examiner I

Examiner I (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsFortune 500 Company
    Pay is decent
    Friendly co-workers
    Looks great on paper
    If you have elementary school aged children the Miami location is ideal with their satellite school

ConsLengthy hiring process
    No vertical advancement
    Nearly 5 years in the same position with no advancement despite continuously excelling in productivity & quality
    Overly focused on six sigma process improvements, streamlining functions & increasing productivity requirements while completely disregarding professional advancement

Not Very Fulfilling

Data Specialist (Former Employee) Kingston, ON (Canada)

ProsI worked at Assurant for 9 years.......there used to be many pros, such as functions, rewards, etc but they steadily disappeared over the years, not just for me (who was a stellar employee) but for everyone, except for management of course.

ConsNo room for advancement and favoritism: If you weren't friends with management, you didn't get promoted. As with many large companies, you had to apply for another position if you were interested in it. They didn't base it on what type of an employee you were and how well you did in your current position, they based it on how well you did in the interview or whether you were friends with management! I was turned down for another position because I didn't answer the interview questions the way they wanted me to. The position was given to someone who always failed her audits, never met her productivity requirements and was constantly calling in sick. That's Assurant's way of doing things....move the bad employees from department to department rather than get rid of them until there are no more departments to move them to. There was one employee who couldn't do any of the jobs that they put her in yet they kept moving her around until she finally screwed up so bad that they had no choice but to get rid of her. (She didn't even have to apply for another position, they would just give her one.) Be terrible in your job and they recognize that by giving you something else to do but you can be the best in your job and not be given an ounce of recognition even though you're the reason the company is as successful as they are.

Mid-Year and Year-End Reviews are a farce: You were forced to evaluate yourself every 6 months, then your supervisor would review you. They supposedly used these reviews to evaluate your merit increase. Bahahaha! Like I said before, I was a stellar employee, never called in sick, was always positive, always beat productivity requirements, never failed my audits, was top employee in my department and always, always had positive reviews from my supervisors. All that got me was a tiny raise that wasn't even enough to keep up with the cost of living! The merit increases went down every year that I was there even though my work ethic, etc got better. First year I was there I got a 4% increase. Last year I was there (9 years later) it was less than 1%! Not much incentive to continue working there. When I gave my notice, rather than offer me more money than the job I was going to was paying me, they hired TWO people to replace me. Someone didn't think that one out very well. But that's Assurant, don't want to give too much for fear of someone expecting even more. All I expected was respect and recognition for a job well done.

They had a suggestion program where employees could provide their suggestions on how to improve things. If your suggestion was approved they would actually give you money. Sad thing is, they never approved any of the suggestions. Instead, someone in management would implement your suggestion later on and claim it as their own. I figured that's the only way some management in that company are where they are......because they used their employees and took credit for things that should have been given to the employees instead.

Advice to Senior Management- The little guys are the reason you are where you are today and why you continue to be where you are today. Don't think you're anything special because you're part of management. You didn't get there on your own.
    - Recognize the good employees and get rid of the bad ones.
    - Have more respect for the people who actually do the work and stop promoting people based on the fact that they are your friends and have no experience at all.
    Increase your pay range. Make your employees feel like you actually WANT them there instead of making them feel like they're lucky to have a job.
    - Be more truthful to the employees who are on the low end of the totem pole. Just because you're at the top of the totem pole doesn't mean you're any better than them. Without them you would be nothing.

I liked my job, if I didn't I wouldn't have stayed there for 9 years as the pay wasn't a reason to stay that's for sure. I would have stayed until retirement had I been given the respect and recognition that I deserved. Oh well, not to toot my own horn but you lost an excellent employee and gained two more useless ones. But no matter what I say, you'll continue to do what you do and just treat the employees as if they're just a number. Sad, really sad!!!

Good start in the industry - Not recommended for seasoned adjusters.

Field Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsGood benefits. Yearly summit meeting is nice. Fellow adjusters are good people with real backbones.

ConsAssurant insures the majority of vacant foreclosures in the US. You will be dealing with squatters in vacant homes (in high violent crime areas) on a daily basis.
    Without getting into too much detail; the job is dangerous. When you notify management that you couldn't scope a loss due to being chased out by violent squatters, their advice is to simply "go to the house earlier tomorrow" (scope quietly before the squatters wake up).
    There is an issue with NY / NJ management. In my humble opinion - management in these states appear to purposefully delay your work so they can swoop in and "Fix" the problem that they themselves created.
    The workload is highly unreasonable. Generally speaking your southern and western counterpart adjusters all really like their jobs (save the ones in the rough cities) - they handle TVMM's in small ranches or single story homes; and the squatter situation isn't as bad as the eastern region.. You are expected to close 12 full files per week; at first that doesn't sound so bad. The thing is your basically writing total loss TVMM claims in 3 story homes (the claims are huge) - and there's always that manager who's there deliberately delaying your files.
    All paperwork and mailing of file documents are handled by you - nothing is automated.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management - please monitor your managers. In my time with this company I was never once asked by upper management how I was being treated.
    Yearly performance reviews are handled by managers who refuse to call you for the review.
    I spent 4 weeks playing phone tag with my manager about my review.
    Lastly - promote competence for god sake. Most Adjusters at this company will agree when I say "At Assurant; if your a stellar field adjuster - then thats where they will keep you.

Worked for Assurant? Contribute to the Community!