Assurant Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

Assurant President, CEO and Director Rob Pollock
Rob Pollock

Pros
  • Assurant provides a reasonable salary and good benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits, solid company if more conservative than others on risk (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of challenges to foster learning opportunities and very top heavy therefore there are no room for advancement (in 10 reviews)

• There is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Confused growing company.

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair compensation for professional level associates. Generous expense account offerings. Good teleworking options.

Cons

It's tough to figure out how you fit into the Assurant puzzle. Working as a professional in a Call Center company means you're unlikely to be treated like a professional. Upward advancement is difficult to come by.

ADP

I worked at Assurant

Pros

close to my home
    good people in lower managment

Cons

Bad work environment
    harrassment
    abusive
    hired as a temp only to make sure not to make perm

Learn to do justice and improve working place

Best job of my life, but ended bittersweet!

Former Employee - Policy Document Clerk  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Policy Document Clerk in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Assurant full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Assurant is a company where you are able to work and grow. Having a company where they help you improve yourself is important. The employees at Assurant are some of the NICEST and hardworking individuals you will find.

Cons

With the downsizing of staff, the workload of many employees went above and beyond what any normal company would expect. You can't expect to have good moral in the office when you are not being appreciated for the many extra hours worked.

My advice would be don't ask your employees for there input unless you are willing to listen and learn from this advice. Please, please, don't take it out on your employee when they tell you something you don't want to hear(especially if you asked) Appreciate your staff!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

I have been working at Assurant

Pros

Good benefits all the way around. Room for advancement depending on location. Good support for employee development and fairly good open door policy.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Some upper management is not supportive of progressive ideas to try and keep workload current. Just keep piling it on while not supporting options such a occasional telecommuting to stay current with less interruptions.

Better support for middle management and pay in line with experience and job duties.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Call Center  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Assurant full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A family like work environment with people on your team. Easier to advance to new jobs within the company when already an associate.

Cons

Job cuts are common and hard to get hired back when they are always doing job cuts. Its a shame that the company is financially unstable. They are always looking to do out sourcing.

Liars!!!!

Former Employee - Loss Draft Specialist  in  Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Loss Draft Specialist in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant full-time for less than a year

Pros

A paycheck and benefits. That's the only kind thing I have to say except there are some nice people that work at Assurant..

Cons

Everything else is bad. Working conditions are horrible. It's almost as bad as prison. They complain when you go on bathroom breaks etc.

Don't lie to employees and expect them to believe you when your poker face is horrible. Also, don't tell emplyees to lie to the customers either.

It's all about politics and who you know

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Assurant full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most coworkers are very nice to work with. Nice life/work balance. Flexible HR policies.

Cons

Worked there for over 10 years. Poor training & employee growth; once you hit a certain level you reach a "glass ceiling" depending on who you know and whose shoulders you're rubbing, which creates a back-stabbing culture among coworkers with the same goals. You do an adequate job and you get rewarded, you do a good/great job, and you get taxed with more work/responsibility and no promotion.

Don't dangle the "promotion" carrot to your employees, unless you have a clear career advancement path. Don't say the company is not about politics and "circle of friends" when it clearly is.

Very positive

Current Employee - Agent  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Self employed agent; independent contractor; make own hours; higher compensation than other insurance companies

Cons

you have to pay own EI, CPP as self employed; benefits not worth it; no pension or RRSP matching

pensions or RRSP contributions; consider minimum wage plus comp for full time agents representing clients

Assurant is a great company. Employees are valued and there is great commitment to treating them with respect.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Assurant full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Respected in the industry. Really smart people and commitment to excellence.

Cons

Very traditional and Assurant Solutions is very disorganized. There is a restructuring every other day and people spend a lot of time running around in circles.

Focus, focus, focus. A lot of time is spent supporting each business when the commonalities are significant and customization is not needed.

I truly enjoyed my time at Assurant.

Former Employee - Quality Coordinator  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Coordinator in Duluth, GA

I worked at Assurant full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed the working environment and the location.

Cons

I didn't agree with the amount of work I was having to do in addition to a regular 40 hour work week.

Worked for Assurant? Contribute to the Community!