Assurant Solutions

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

S. Craig Lemasters

Pros
  • A good work/life balance is respected (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice people, non-stressful work environment, family-oriented (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • antiquated recruiting for the call center (in 4 reviews)

• No one does anything about incompetent management and leadership (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Easy to get comfortable here.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Environment, activities, volunteerism, gym, sports, cafeteria, daycare and elementary school, commute.

Cons

Complacent, average salary, fear of layoff

Birds of a feather ... in the HR Nest

Current Employee - Middle Management in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are great people (worker levels and some management) who work here at the company, as we have people who care about what they do and how it gets done.

Cons

The pros are all in spite of the ongoing firings ("____ found an opportunity elsewhere" - like we believe that line anymore) and ongoing layoffs. It was a great company, but we're hanging on by the skin of our teeth and will be a memory eventually.

Old school, non skilled management and leaders continue to make the money and yet can't seem to turn things around. Perhaps if they looked up and outward instead of backwards (to the past) they could have made changes to turn things around ... yet, it may be too late now. Part of the issues are the antiquated and incompetent HR people who are here ... you have a non training management person who heads up OD and Learning (which there isn't much here anymore, like we once had). Not sure what Carey Bongard was thinking when she made that move, but she has made a lot of "great: moves since she came into our business ... a line of continuous ill informed decisions, as she still hasn't seen what her HR staff really are made of ... most of us leaders have no confidence in her or her staff ... They need a complete overhaul here in Miami and in Atlanta. For one or two years we had a couple great HR folks in the Miami office, but they "mysteriously" left and went elsewhere. They were focused on change and bringing things up to the current century an I can only believe that this was why they are no longer here with us ... so now we have HR folks who you can't trust, aren't knowledgeable and do what they are told by sr leadership and Bongard (and NY) despite the impact their actions have on engagement, trust and motivation.

It's all painful because I have been here for a long time and have seen many moves and changes ... they used to be fore the better .. now they continue to just be misinformed and the ship seems to have no real captain. There aren't many places to go in South Florida, so many are simply getting by waiting for the next show to drop.

Simply wake up ... get off the ship ... allow those who care about the company and its people to do the job right!

No longer a good company to work for. Too many layoffs and senior management plays favorites.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Assurant Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employee benefits and the onsite amenities.

Cons

None of the other reviews realistically mentions that this company is big on layoffs. This is the only thing that is a constant at this company - layoffs. Management plays favorites as to who they keep. As a result, they typically they keep the employees that are not doing much work or making any significant contributions. The Executive management is located in either New York or Atlanta, so they have no idea of the day to day running of the company. They are only interested in the bottom line and the satisfaction of the stockholders. So every year they have managers look at salaries and recommend cut staff based on salaries that they think are too high. Then they let the staff go and then rehire younger, cheaper staff and rename the previous position so that they can't get sued for replacing someone they laid off. Also, they are laying off the older employees so they don't have to pay higher salaries or pensions.

Executive Management needs to take a hard look at the company and its policies and think about their employees and have some compassion. Whatever happened to employees being viewed as people and assets instead of just "cost"?

Horrible training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gym, big company, cafeteria, lots of vacation time. Boss is really nice, most employees are very friendly.

Cons

Horrible training, my team gave me an instruction book for my position and told me to memorize it. It's been 3 months and I'm still shadowing my co workers.

Let new employees try things on their own, otherwise they're not going to stay.

Human Resources seem to be clueless - all the way to the top

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- great benefits
    - decent salaries
    - wonderful colleagues to work with

Cons

- industry is moving in different directions and leaders here continue to spin new "stuff" based on old models and products. Time for a refresh.
    - HR leadership seems to be a mess. We had great people who provided a lot of value to many of us leaders over the past three years and they have either fired them or chased them away. Now we are left with no real support that know strategically what they're doing. There was a new Sr HR Leader put over the area about a year ago and since then the best left, and we now miss the valuable support we use to have. We don't understand how these people making decisions make them ... mostly it is one big clique of ladies who cover for one another. Hopefully NY will see the light, but they are too close to the leader of this area. Maybe someday.
    - They have stopped our public training courses. When we want something trained we have to justify everything to get a class. The culture was always one of learning and this was motivation and engagement for our employees. HR has killed that along with putting a leader over this area (training) that has no background or expertise. It's all very hard to understand the thought processes of the leadership in HR.

Pay attention to what is being done in all of the segments. Pull your heads out of the sand and stop relying on the strength of your personal relationships within the leadership ranks. Question your leaders, question decisions, and question your blind faith in the leaders you put all of your trust in. There is more than meets the eye.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, smart and motivated team with good business knowledge. Good work-life balance, good pay. There are opportunities to grow within the company but it is not easy.

Cons

Its hard to start using new technologies and tools. Changes on priorities from one day to another makes it hard to focus and finish tasks.

Stop shifting the priorities from one to another. Keep key people that have good business and technical knowledge.

Work, learn and enjoy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Assurant Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotes the work-life balance, gives flexibility to the employees, technology savvy, offers great benefits compared to many other similar size company in USA. Promotes lot of team building activities, is involved and encourages employes to be involved in lot of community activities.

Cons

some bureaucracies, obvious for a big company. Also it has been gone through lot of change management every year, some were obvious, some were necessary, some were not!

Management needs to be more open-minded and need to bring more stable environment instead of so many changes.

The Miami Campus is Spacious and Gorgeous

Current Employee - Claims Specialist I in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist I in Miami, FL

I have been working at Assurant Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back culture. Business casual on a daily basis. Friday everyone can wear jeans and sneakers. The supervisors are nice, friendly and helpful. Your colleagues are down to earth, helpful and friendly. Everyone will embrace the new employees. Most employees have been employed 4+ years. Assurant is one of the very few companies that still offer a pension plan and a plus 401k. The amenities are good. Gym, day care, public school on the grounds and more. You'll have access to this while working in an inbound call center environment, an entry level position. The property is well kept and clean. Grass groomed regularly. Free coffee, and teas provided to your hearts content.

Cons

Salary in on the low side, so you may have to depend on a second salary of some type, however had work does not go unnoticed. There are projects and lots of things going on.
    Training can be somewhat nerve raking, however, the trainers are kind and accommodating.
    The provide plenty of break time and generous lunch hours.

You are doing a great job and I feel you really care about the people who report to you, kudos for that.

the good, the bad and the ugly..

I have been working at Assurant Solutions

Pros

Great location, excellent amenities. Always go against traffic. The grounds are like if you were at a University. A cafeteria which leaves you in awe. Daycare only for children of Assurant, a gym, basketball court. And, a Dade County Public school which is like a private school. Pep[;e stay to work here for years..

Cons

The ism's reign. Its a culture of nepotism and cronyism. Who are you related to? Who do you know? or, who likes you? or, perhaps, who doesn't like you.. I have seen people get promoted once a year for three years in a row.. however, that person was the SVPs sister.. Then, in the same department, people who were SUPER qualified, were looked over.. such is life. Also, people who speak their mind, are frowned up. Your looked as a boat rocker. They want you to lower your head and work. In addition, those who are easily manipulated by upper management get promoted. God forbid someone with a backbone or an opinion moves up. Also, they make millions of dollars and do not pay their employees what the market pays. Older, more experienced employees make MUCH less than new people off the street. They pile on the work, more than one resource can handle and then look down their nose when it cannot be done. Also, procedures are haphazard, work is pushed out, not allowing time for quality analysis. Management is aware of all of this, but turns a blind eye.