Assurant Specialty Property

2.6

Assurant Specialty Property President & CEO Gene Mergelmeyer
Gene Mergelmeyer

Escrow/Tax Agent

I have been working at Assurant Specialty Property full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benifits and pay as well

Cons

I can not think of any

Dynamic, but lacking clear vision

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II in Duluth, GA

Pros

I appreciate that there is generally a relaxed atmosphere. The project deliverables are achievable and not unrealistic. This location is casual and allows for comfortable dress. There is recognition for a job well done and a willingness to recognize contribution.

Cons

The upper management has pledge commitment to process improvement, but doesn't put pressure on those that would rather stick to the status quo and don't want to move forward.
    Project management is lacking understanding of the processes and systems involved in large changes; too compartmentalized without communication between departments. I was struck by the contention that existed between teams that should have been cooperative. Too much covering of one's own behind.

Train up, and insist that middle management cooperate across teams. One of the IT groups lacks direction and focus, is quick to blame other parties for their delivery shortfalls.
    Despite a recent raise, if I were more appropriately compensated for my skills, I wouldn't be inclined to solicit my services elsewhere. The compensation package is behind the general market.

Great entry level job

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Springfield, OH

I worked at Assurant Specialty Property full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice building, benefits were nice. Very diverse group of people, everyone seemed nice to a certain extent. Company provides great products. Year end bonus incentive.

Cons

No opportunities to make additional money. Management isn't very approachable unless you're lucky. Stressful calls.

Anyone can be in your position, all they have to do is work harder than you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

djlsjd

I worked at Assurant Specialty Property full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

learning experience for insurance and the requirements. Benefits

Cons

Lack of training in management

Dead end job - good for individuals with limited worth ethic

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Laid back work, not much is accomplished

Cons

No room for growth, dead end job

Lots of overtime during peak season, low wages.

I have been working at Assurant Specialty Property full-time

Pros

This is an above minimum wage position.

Cons

Management sucks, the pay is low, and employees are not valued. Paid time off is ok, but what is the use of having it when it is frozen most of the time? Chances for growth are non existent. I have a master's degree and stuck in this low paying job. I search everyday for a new one. If you don't have any kids or major bills, then this job will provide an ok life for the small city it is located in. However, there are not many of us who can say this. The pay is pretty low and the stress level is pretty high.

Learn how to manage.

Ok, work hard, move up.

Current Employee - Operation Analyst  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Operation Analyst in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Assurant Specialty Property full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great vacation benefit... Opportunity to work remotely from home in most department.

Cons

Too many turn overs.... Including upper management.

Okay...not great

I worked at Assurant Specialty Property

Pros

My benefits were pretty good as far as health insurance goes. The pay was fairly decent...low, but way better than working retail.

Cons

I worked as a support associate (which was basically a glorified file puller, do everything that no one else wants to do type job). The workload was insane. I was frequently told on Friday afternoons as I was packing up to leave, that I would have to come in for "mandatory overtime."

Ok place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist II  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist II in Duluth, GA

I worked at Assurant Specialty Property full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee Incentives, Encourages learning they had several different classes you could take for advancement, offered Toastmaster International . Great for employee growth

Cons

Management is crooked. Better management would make this place a great place to work

Be careful!

I have been working at Assurant Specialty Property

Pros

The overall compensation package is solid.

Cons

Directors and Senior Managers thrive on gossip and hearsay far too much in this company. In addition to that, almost every manager poorly coaches for employees if they make a mistake. People in this company prefer to tattle on each other to managers for the smallest issues instead of having mature, face to face conversations about day to day issues. Ego and hotheads abounds instead of rational, capable leadership. VP's either turn a blind eye to problematic employees, which in turn causes paranoia amongst hourly employees. All of this negativity leads to a rapid erosion of trust overtime. I would consider myself a skilled employee, and I can't even remember all the times where I was treated like a child who got the carpet dirty at this place.

HR should do more to keep VP's and senior managers in line with the ethics of the company. Senior Managers should stop gossiping and start working side by side with team members from all sites to get the job done.

Worked for Assurant Specialty Property? Contribute to the Community!