Assured Information Security Reviews

Charles Green

1. Fantastic Little Company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rome, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rome, NY

I worked at Assured Information Security full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good ethics, great benefits. The quality of the technical employees are fantastic. The company pursues contracts where the technical quality and employee service is more important than just getting to the lowest price. I have heard managers say that we should "meet or exceed customer expectations. Preferably exceed."

Cons

Career progression can be an issue. For most of the company's existence, there has been a low employee turnover. This is both good and bad. Employees like to stay but the lack of turnover can stagnate career growth opportunities. (I heard that the recent sequestration caused some shake-ups, maybe this has changed).

Advice to Management

There are many aspects of working for a small company I miss. But there is one function that I have really grown to respect and highly recommend that you consider doing better. Human Resources. From my perspective, you would be served well by putting some serious investment in HR.

2. I am glad this was my first job out of college

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rome, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rome, NY

I have been working at Assured Information Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits & pay. Smart & talented engineers, they are some of the most talented engineers and support people around. They really are what makes this place great. Recently the company reduced and streamlined the management team at all levels. Communication from the top has gotten a lot better and some of the bureaucracy has gone away.

Cons

Because it's a small company, if things get slow, you may be working on something boring or unrelated to your field for a while. Some of the program managers could use leadership training.

Advice to Management

Offer some basic training and instruction to new hires. Consider developing a career path that creates opportunity for advancement.

Hard work, demanding customers!

Former Employee - Computer Engineer in Rome, NY
    Former Employee - Computer Engineer in Rome, NY

I worked at Assured Information Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great! Health insurance, short term and long term disability. 7% contribution to 401k without requiring match. $500.00 annual expense account for work related hardware, software, books, etc. A lot of great engineers working cool projects. Good salaries!

Cons

Customers are very demanding and can cause chaos. The company is a government contractor and sometimes you can not share what you are working on with friends and families.

Advice to Management

More communication to the employees from all levels of management. Mid-level managers in particular need to communicate more. They seem scared to share bad news. Need more University relationships. More collaboration among the basic research teams.

Challenging work, clever co-workers

Current Employee - Engineer in Rome, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Rome, NY

Pros

There's a lot of really bright people that work at AIS, and it's a great opportunity to learn things about computer science beyond the classroom from them. The work is really interesting and challenging and rewarding. Upper management is approachable and listens to and seriously considers what the engineers have to say. Engineers are major part of the business development, and management recognizes that. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

It is a bit disordered and chaotic at times, which I think the company embraces. It's not for everyone, but I like it.

Advice to Management

To my knowledge management makes the best decisions they can for their employees and the company. I've seen them make very selfless and hard decisions, and as an employee I appreciate that.

Great benefits, bright employees, and interesting work, but struggling to adapt to growth.

I have been working at Assured Information Security full-time

Pros

Great vacation (4 weeks starting) Great compensation and benefits Supportive of new research areas Interesting work Many bright employees

Cons

Unqualified and inflexible people in powerful positions Little funding for internal research Inability to adjust from small business practices to medium business Funding tied to tightly to a single source

Advice to Management

Get people with experience in medium-to-large businesses in some upper level positions Solicit and heed advice from senior engineers and management Put more money into internal research and business development

7. Unerfahrene Firma, die ihre Totlast verlieren muss Fledgling Company That Needs To Get Rid of Dead Weight

I worked at Assured Information Security full-time (More than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Es wurde viel gute Arbeit und Forschung gemacht, einige davon sind sehr innovativ.

A lot of good work and research being done, some of which is very innovative.

Cons

Viele der ursprünglichen Angestellten sind noch immer da und bilden eine komplette Totlast, da viele von ihnen keine formale Ausbildung in ihren Arbeitsgebieten haben.

A lot of the original employees are still around and are complete dead weight, most of which have no formal education in the areas being worked.

RSS Feed </> Embed