Assured Relocation

Assured Relocation Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
13 reviews filtered by
Janette MacDonell

1. Great opportunities with a great company.

I have been working at Assured Relocation

Pros

ARI really is a great company to work for. They have a work/life balance few other companies would even think about. Since my hire, additional benefits have been put in place to improve what was already offered. They truly care about their employees...I have even received gifts for my children from the owner and co-founder. Management from the CEO and owner down have taken time to answer my questions and offer suggestions and quality training, so that I can improve personally. They are also willing to listen to ideas and thoughts on ways to improve processes within the company. Effort and funds have been invested to improve the communication between departments and remote employees. Changes have also been made to position the company ahead in the ever-evolving insurance industry.

I have also seen the passion from my co-workers to help our customers. That passion is recognized and rewarded. When someone stands out, they are utilized and promoted.

Cons

The work is fast paced and demanding, and as a result of the stress of loss, the customers can be difficult. Changes and adjustments have to be made constantly to stay ahead in the industry.

2. Would not recommend working here!

I have been working at Assured Relocation full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are friendly.
    Bonds are formed while commiserating over management’s short falls.
    Walking distance to Caltrain and restaurants
    Flexibility to work independently

Cons

Recent mass layoffs were made as a result of management’s failure to meet the expectations and requests from a client. Management provided absolutely no information to employees about the possible loss of client or what could have been done to retain business. Leading up to layoffs it was learned from a 3rd party regarding loss of a client and Assured Relocation knew about it for quite some time but chose to deny it to employees when confronted. The loss of client was due to management’s failure to make requested changes. No management was terminated as a result of this failure but mass layoffs among all other departments resulted. Rather than let employees know of impending loss of a key client and determine ways to keep everyone employed management sat on their hands. Instead, management hired cheap labor in the form of remote employees recently laid off from competitors. All new employees were hired just before layoffs which led to suspicion when caseloads were low. Most employees that were spared from the layoffs were forced to take large pay cuts and possibility for commissions and bonuses were eliminated. Employees in non commissioned departments were forced to accept the additional workload with no additional compensation. This is the tip of the iceberg regarding things wrong with Assured Relocation. The reason provided for layoffs were they are “restructuring the company”.

Assured Relocation is a company that has failed to make the necessary changes to remain competitive in the ever changing insurance relocation industry. Further, the CEO, President and Owner do not communicate, stab each other in the back and all believe they are in charge and the pecking order is blurred. If you have ever seen the movie Office Space refer to the scene where the main character Peter Gibbons meets with the consultants and describes what is wrong with the company; “I have 8 different bosses”, “new cover pages on all the TPS reports”, “no motivation to work harder because no potential for advancement, growth, commission or bonus.” This is the best example of Assured Relocation.

-Little to no training procedures set in place for new hires.
    -No set evaluation or ongoing training for employees. More on the job training and sink or swim mindset.
    -Management belittles the intelligence of employees that have questions.
    -Little communication with employees in regards to job performance or expectations.
    -Performance reviews are non-existent and requests for annual reviews are ignored.
    -Rules made up as they go with no set protocol. Example: client A calls and is upset about how something was handled, a companywide email is immediately sent out changing policies and procedures for client A, B and C even if it is not requested from client B or C.
    -Management’s decisions are emotion based.
    -Employees are fired at the drop of a hat and accused of being “unprofessional” if they raise concerns or attempt to have a discussion with management in regards to operations or possible improvements.
    -Have been sued multiple times for wrongful termination and have always settled.
    -Management is unresponsive even to urgent requests.
    -When management does get involved it is after the fact and “training” used is more finger pointing than anything else.
    -CEO flies in from Southern California on a weekly basis and makes a cameo appearance in headquarters wanders through the office for 15 minutes upon arrival then disappears to work on his side career as an attorney. He is there for a day and a half at most each week. When cornered regarding an email or urgent question he hasn’t responded to he retreats to staring at his phone and responds “yeah I need to take a look at that….let me get back to you” but rarely does.
    -CEO is unprofessional, uninvolved, snarky and does not have his finger on the pulse of the company or industry.
    -Management openly makes disparaging remarks about current and former employees in front of others. They even went as low as to break into the personal Gmail account of a former employee and sat around laughing and joking about it for hours in a room full of current employees in the office.
    -Company laid off a large portion of the staff of recently as a cost cutting measure but CEO stays at the most expensive hotels possible (on the company dime) when he visits the headquarters from Southern California.
    -Non merit based favoritism provided to employees; wedding, baby showers, bonuses and gifts for their favorites only.
    -Day retreats for some employees and not others.
    -Management starts new companywide rules and requirements constantly but they are rarely enforced or monitored which leads to confusion among employees and inconsistency in work product.
     -At least a dozen employees have left on their own accord after recent layoffs due to loss of trust, pay cuts and elimination of incentive bonuses.
    -Remote employees constantly left out of the few perks provided to in office employees.
    -HR company used is incompetent and unable to answer even the simplest questions.
    -No 401K match
    -Health benefits costs are outrageous. Employees with children mentioned that the cost to add a dependent on an HMO policy was roughly $700 per month out of pocket JUST for each dependent.
    -Employees are forced to sign a non-compete prior to starting employment. Assured Relocation knows that this is unenforceable and hopes people will not look into it. Management and CEO know this is illegal and have even hired employees that recently worked for competitors who were under a non compete agreement with former employers.

-New management has not been hired and the company has not been reorganized.
    -Approximately half the company has been laid off or left on their own in the past 6 months and less than 5 have been hired, none in management.
    -Sales staff has been decimated which leads current employees to believe that the company is being leaned up for a possible sale or just closing of the doors.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management:
    -Stop wasting time posting fake reviews online to boost reputation. Anyone who can read knows they are fake. “I don't use all my vacation days up, because I hate missing a day of work.” HAHAHAHA WOW!
    -Also, “free lunches” were actually potlucks organized by a former employee or from vendors that brought food in. Lunch is rarely catered in by the actual company.
    -Treat current employees better all the time, not just in short spurts. A toxic culture has been created and the only way to improve is by cleaning house at the top.
    -Don’t treat employees like unskilled laborers.
    -Attempt to retain high performing employees and ask for input instead of holding secretive back room meetings.
    -Stop hiring out of state untrained employees on the cheap. Instead build from the headquarters

Advice to owner: Terminate all curremnt management, think of ways to keep high performing employees instead of driving them out, fire current 3rd party HR company and hire someone competent to handle in house. For a small business this should not be difficult and would easily be more cost effective. Hire a full time trainer to focus on creating literature, handbooks, manuals, holding learning\training meetings, one on ones. If the owner still does not realize that the CEO and current management has wrecked what was once a decent company then she might as well lock the doors and sell the company instead of watching this dumpster fire burn from afar.

3. Greatest company I have ever been apart of!

Current Employee - Regional Director
    Current Employee - Regional Director

I have been working at Assured Relocation

Pros

Working for Assured Relocation is by far the greatest company I have ever worked for. The company philosophy is remarkable, and gives employees a supportive environment to build and grow.
    ARI is a company with amazing team principles. The leadership offers exceptional training and encourages the contribution of new ideas. Assured Relocation is unique for the passion that it shares with its employees.

Cons

I don't use all my vacation days up, because I hate missing a day of work!

5. Hard work, Great Pay Off

I have been working at Assured Relocation

Pros

I see a lot of bad reviews on here, but I really enjoy my job and feel support. I always feel like I have somewhere to turn if something goes wrong. You get to work at your own pace, there is no micromanagement, flexible time off, lunches. Everyone will also help you when you need it, it can feel like a big family. The benefits are great and the hours are awesome.

Cons

The work can be really hard and you have to deal with really tough people sometimes. When it gets busy you can feel overwhelmed fast.
    There is a lot of gossip that can be distracting and overwhelming, but it has gotten better after a few people have left.

Advice to Management

Hire great people
    Have a better reward system to recognize great employees

6. Supportive Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Assured Relocation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Full Benefits
    Set Schedule
    Parking pass
    Co-workers are Amazing! Everyone is really funny and laid back.
    Flexible with time off or if I have an appointment, it's never been a problem.
    I received a raise after a year with the company.
    There isn't a lot of micromanaging. I get to work at my own pace and they offer help if I can't get to everything and the managers are pretty strict about making sure everyone goes home on time.
    They did monthly potlucks which was great because you got to meet people from other departments.
    It is a lot of learning on the job, but all my co-workers are great with answering questions and there is always a manager to go to.
    The owner is super nice and is genuinely happy for us when big things happen in our lives. She heard it was my anniversary and when I got back from lunch she had left a gift card on my desk for us to go out and get dessert at the Cheesecake Factory. I think some of the older employees have gotten way more, but that really meant a lot to me.

Cons

There isn't a lot of room for growth, but I think that is probably true for every small company.
    The clients can be difficult, but my manager always says that no one is allowed to scream at me and to transfer her the call.
    It can be stressful and frustrating when you're doing claims, especially when it's really busy.

Advice to Management

Less gossip
    Fix the communication problems between departments. If I have to note the file, why don't they??
    More events during work hours (like lunch) or right after work hours so we can all make it.
    Match points for the 401K

7. Toxic environment

I have been working at Assured Relocation

Pros

Office is located next to downtown so it's close by restaurants and stores
    Office is also close to Caltrain
    You get some PTO

Cons

No matching for 401K
    Low pay
    Terrible CEO. He is rude, won't look you in the eye when he talks to you. He will just look down at his phone and type away!
    Upper Management does not respect their employees
    Management plays favorites
    Management does give some gift cards to some employees, they pick and choose who and will do it in front of other employees. If you don't give it to everyone then don't give it to anyone. Its unfair treatment.
    No room for growth and absolutely no pay increases
    Very high turnover rate of employees
    One of the managers works from home in another state. No one really reports to her, out of sight out of mind.
    Potluck was organized by an employee and the employee quit so it's no longer provided.
    CEO and owners of company openly bash former and current employees in front of all their employees during the (few) company functions they provide.
    CEO has sent company wide emails with snide remarks about employees, due to all of this many employees have felt so disrespected that they don't want to be affiliated with him or this company.
    Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees out
    Pay cuts often occur
    Company is full of empty promises
    No in house HR, you don't ever have anyone to talk to if you are having issues and you don't feel as though you can trust your manager with any information. You feel like it's you (and your fellow employees) against management
    You aren't promoted for being good at your job or working hard; it's like a sorority house.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to be replaced
    Respect your employees

8. Can be a great company to work for...

I have been working at Assured Relocation

Pros

Very laid back
    Owners are friendly and great people
    Great pay
    Great friendly environment (amongst employees)
    Great benefit
    Great hours
    Off weekends
    Paid parking
    Company potlucks

Cons

Managers are HORRIBLE. No formal training when you start and they make up policies as they go along (never consistent). You can't approach them for advice as you will not only get your answer, but also a sarcastic remark belittling you. There is no one to turn to but the door. Managers are owners pets and untouchable. Employees do not trust management and are all on egg shells due to lay offs and ready to jump ship. Management openly talks about other employees. No room for growth. You will stay in your position until you are fired or leave.

Advice to Management

No matter how good the company is, an uncomfortable envioment cancels it out. I rather leave than work in a place where I am intimidated. Some career advancement would be nice.

Assured Relocation Response

Jan 28, 2015CEO

As a startup Assured has evolved over time as we grew. We have been growing dramatically over the last 5 years. It has been an exciting time for all of the employees. Unfortunately, as the company ... More

9. Horrible management

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Assured Relocation

Pros

would host lunches, potlucks, no micromanagement

Cons

Management plays favorites, horrible work environment, management not approachable, no communication, no growth potential

Advice to Management

Management mandatory training every year

10. A company in a downward spiral

Former Employee - Placements
    Former Employee - Placements

I worked at Assured Relocation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No micromanagement, you can walk places downtown, many of your peers (not management) are great

Cons

Horrible management who do not have any real experience. They breed secrecy and uncertainty by not sharing anything with their employees, playing favorites, and treating people unfairly. They have pushed out older employees simply because the CEO feels he can pay someone less for the same work. They consistently cut pay, and bully people who speak up although they act like its an open door policy. They have been sued at least three times for mistreating their employees - twice pregnant women. The management openly disrespects employees to other people. They will speak about your personal life, work, outfit, comments you made - anything. It's like a high school clique. The business appears to be failing in the midst of all this negativity and yet they aren't making actual changes that will help save this sick company. The overall vibe here is of mistrust, and lack of respect for one another. Nobody can thrive in that. No room for growth, promises made they can't keep. They take forever to make decisions because no one cares enough to get anything done. If they spent even one solid week working they could "roll out" the changes they have been promising. One of the main managers disappears for weeks at a time and never comes in. Also the POTLUCKS discussed were put on by an employee who I believe quit so they no longer happen. They were not a management sponsored event. Janette Macdonnel is listed as CEO, but she is owner. Not CEO. CEO is a man who is awful.

Advice to Management

Replace all management. Every. Single. Person. Hire a team who actually knows what they are doing and has real management experinece and the education to back it.

11. No room for growth

Current Employee - Claims in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Claims in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Assured Relocation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Parking is paid for
    Good location, downtown Menlo Park
    Close to public transportation
    Offer some benefits, including 401K but they do not contribute
    Flexible work hours

Cons

Very poor management
    Poor HR, you feel as though you have no one to turn to when you have issues
    Senior management talk down about past employees openly
    No respect towards employees
    Absolutely no room for growth, they say they do but do not believe this. In fact, many times they cut your compensation rather than increase your pay
    Favoritism is a huge issue
    As a newer employee, compared to some others that have been here for years, it's extremely disappointing to see how they treat their senior employees. It's as though they are trying to push them out. It also shows the new employees how we will eventually be treated
    Very little training with new hires and the training is not consistent with each employee so people aren't trained the same way. Very little direction
    The interview process was uncomfortable and they seemed unprepared and unprofessional
    Managers can never give you a clear answer on anything, if you get an answer at all.
    Very low moral amongst all employees

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees
    Treat everyone equally.
    Remove the favoritism
    Promote your employees from within that work hard
    Train employees properly. Consistency is needed in this area
    Improve communication between management and employees