Assurity Life Insurance Company

3.6
Thomas E. Henning

1. Sales Intern

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company

Pros

Great experience as a sales intern. You learn so much about the insurance industry, sales, and how to be in a professional setting. Great experience overall. Also great pay.

Cons

There is no con for this company that I see.

Advice to Management

None

Wellness OR DIE!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Great facilities & new building
    * New style chairs & desks
    * Inside cafeteria & ability to pay with badge
    * Drinks at desk
    * Free Garage Parking
    * Up to date computers, software
    * Vending machines and kitchenettes on every floor.
    * Pay/salary is average. Not good, nor bad.
    * People seem nice enough.
    * My manager is great.
    * I really like this company, other then the CONS below, which I why I've been with them so long.

Cons

* Assurity is a "Wellness or Else" company that sticks it down your throat. I can't unsubscribe from the overwhelming amount of nonsense. It's NOT a benefit; it's harassment.

* Medical coverage costs/premiums are based on how healthy you are. No other large employer group in Lincoln does this - for example: LPS, State of Nebraska, City of Lincoln, UNL, Duncan, Ameritas, Kawasaki, Nelnet, Molex, State Form, Kenexa, Talent Plus, BNSF, Dell. Assurity cheats their own employees in this regard. Why would Assurity think they are an employer of choice in Lincoln at all?

*The wellness point system is an awful way to treat employees.

* Medical coverage premiums and out-of-pocket expenses are outrageous. They DO NOT compare to other local companies at all. Medical and Dental coverage is through BCBS-NE, which doesn't pay at CHI (St Elizabeth). You encourage BCBS to supply poor insurance coverage to your own associates by staying with them. BCBS costs TOO much and they provide TOO less. There ARE better alternatives.

* Every employee clocks in-and-out (even salaried). An obvious sign employees are not trusted. If you leave too early on ANY GIVEN DAY, you're automatically robbed of PTO.

* Lots of employees are immediately walked out at the moment they resign. Again, very few Lincoln companies do this - in ANY department. Look it up. When someone resigns, it's not like they're being fired. They gave good effort and productivity at work, and when they resign, Assurity treats them like a bad guy.

* No food at desk - there are certain "exceptions" to the rule, but it's a joke. Just another way Assurity treats professionals like children.

* Unexpected absences (unplanned PTO) is frowned upon. You're only allowed a couple per year.

* They force every employee to go to 2-hour quarterly meetings where they talk about themselves.

* They force every employee to attend sales training, even if you have absolutely nothing to do with sales.

* Internet browsing is restricted/firewall. Another way they treat you unprofessionally.

* Casual Fridays includes wearing collared shirts. No t-shirts or shorts ever, even if they're in good taste.

* Personal cell phone use is frowned on. They want you to use their internal phone system for personal matters, so they can track any personal time/usage on phone.

* Their employee surveys never ask the right questions. You get MUCH better feedback from websites like Glassdoor - where associates are truly free to tell you what is good/bad.

* UI design for their websites is driven by managers and executives.

* No ATM on site.

The biggest CON - they don't admit that they have these troublesome policies, and treat professionals
    like kids. I'm not even sure that they even realize it. Few other companies in Lincoln are this rigid and cold to employees.

Dear Assurity - you're not going to attract and keep the best/brightest talent because of these policies. You need to listen.

Advice to Management

* Listen. Don't ignore everyone's "rants". There is some truth in them.
    * Lower employee medical premiums - really compare with yourself with other local companies. You don't compete.
    * Stop pitching wellness. Allow me to unsubscribe to it, or something. Its borderline harassment.
    * When people resign (any dept), don't walk them out. That's a disgusting way to treat people.
    * If someone abuses the absenteeism/PTO policy, that's what you have managers for. Don't rob reasonable people.
    * Salaried people shouldn't have to clock in/clock out. You make your employees feel like kids. We're not.
    * Subsidize employee lunches more. Little things count.

* Never wonder why you're not "better". If you don't address these issues, you wont be.

Feels like kindergarten.

Current Employee - Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new building is nice other than the elevators which do not always function properly. The security guards are nice. It's nice to park for free in the parking garage. Building and grounds guy, Rex, is awesome and hilarious.

Cons

Very poor selection of and communication (both in level of skill of communication and effort made to communicate) by supervisors and management. Associates are not trusted to eat foods at their desks that are warm or require utensils, but eating donuts and cupcakes with your hands is ok, which probably attributes to the lack of use of the high-tech standing desks that remain in the seated position. Open door policy is poorly executed if followed at all.

Advice to Management

If you want adults to do quality work for you, then trust and treat your associates as adults who do quality work. Also, you need to update the dress code and move to casual dress as other companies in the industry have done. The studies that were done showing that people work better when they're dressed up are outdated. Cater to the generation that you want/is working for you.

5. Great Company to Work At

Former Contractor - Software Developer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Contractor - Software Developer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Assurity Life Insurance Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities with software developer essentials (nice chairs, standing desks, up to date hardware).
    Leadership is easy to talk to, and departmental communication and bonding is encouraged.
    Process for new-hires is very streamlined, there isn't any downtime waiting for a computer or credentials.
    On site cafeteria is really nice, and there is a large bank of microwaves for bringing lunch.

Cons

Seniority and title are highly attributed, so despite communication being encouraged, it can be hard to see results.
    Agile methodology verges on cargo cult programming (estimation as a time-clock, lack of documented coding standards, UI design is performed by management and customers)

Advice to Management

Generally keep up the good work, Assurity seems to be a successful company that treats their employees well and invests in their education/training. Creating a dev-ops team, and getting the separate development teams to collaborate on a unified process would do wonders for project success rate, and developer morale.

6. Assurity has a lot going for itself.

I worked at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good and so is PTO.

Cons

Politics can come into play with promotions, but you can find that anywhere.

7. Great Company!

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company

Pros

Excellent Management and a great environment.

Cons

Low Pay
    High expectations for pay grades

Advice to Management

Pay employees higher wages, especially salaried ones.

Great building, middle school rules

Current Employee - Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific new $50+ million dollar building. Great new 135 degree angle workspaces with desk that can be raised and lowered so that you can stand and work. Work chairs that retail for over $1000. Windows on every floor.

Cons

Can eat at your desk. No breaks other than lunch. Occassional manditory overtime

Advice to Management

Interact with employees and visit work spaces on a more frequent basis.

9. Great Company to Sell For!

Current Contractor - Independent Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Contractor - Independent Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best Disability Income Insurance products for the blue-collar marketplace!
    Fast Underwriting Decisions!
    Simplified Applications!
    Less competition compared to other types of insurance!

Cons

A little more difficult product to sell than other types of insurance.

Advice to Management

Offer better training for new agents entering this market.

10. I had a good time...until I was promoted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Assurity Life Insurance Company

Pros

The culture is good. It comes off as a good old fashioned small company. The products and resources are good and management, for the most part, care about the work you do and acknowledge a job well done.

Cons

Its a mixed bad bag with management. Depending on the department you work in, your manager could be your best friend or something out of a horror movie. I went from having one of the best managers I've ever had, and excelling in my position, to being promoted to a new position where my manager was one of the worst communicators I've ever been around. People within the department were terrified and I found it impossible to even learn the position as I was constantly intimidated and feared making a mistake.

Advice to Management

HR should really be more involved with protecting their employees from poor management or "bully bosses." A vast majority of the company seems to know who these "bad bosses are," including upper management, yet HR turns a blind eye.

If my former manager would have been my new manager, I would still be working for Assurity and excelling in the position I was promoted to. Feeling intimidated on a daily basis and afraid to make a mistake makes it impossible for anyone to learn a new position or excel as an employee.

Just another company trying to be the best

I have been working at Assurity Life Insurance Company

Pros

They merged with Security Financial Life

Cons

Security Financial Life had to merge with a poorly run company

Advice to Management

quit

RSS Feed </> Embed