Astbury Marsden Reviews

Updated July 22, 2014

3.4

Jonathan Nicholson

Real Recruitment firm .

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Astbury Marsden full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I came to Astbury Marsden, there where lot of confusion , will it satisfy my needs or expectation as I was entering the New Business Area ( oil & Gas) . Things are completely different in the first week of my work , which proved to be the best recruitment firm I heard in Singapore. I don't wanted to use ONE OF THE . I dont think I heard any thing better in the last 4 years of my work in Singapore after meeting N number of recruitment consultant or recruiters. Excellent working culture , work life balance , great ethics , amazing talents around and fantastic reward programs. One other thing impressed me which my previous company did not do being a major player on Niche skill is Intern and giving a chance to young engineer or graduates. Hope and wish I will be part of AM success in coming days and I will surely recommend to every one in this market. The treat you as a Family.

Cons

I cant see any Cons . As being a professional this AM is Ethical and Professional . Then why Cons?

Keep up the good work .

Ever changing, the right infrastructure to help you build your own desk and grow a team.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Astbury Marsden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having been her for a few years I've worked with a lot of good people I'd be friends with outside of work. I trust people here to work with me, whereas a lot of other companies invoke a selfish, aggressive environment. As with all recruitment companies, I have seen some people come and go in a short period but more often because of their own inability rather that the fault of the tools Astbury Marsden gave them (I have no doubt some of them will leave reviews on here), whereas others have risen through the ranks very quickly. There are managers here who have adapted to the changing nature of recruitment and progressed from consultants in a short space of time.

The company still has a family atmosphere, with drinks on a Friday. Yet sales is key, and training to make ourselves stand out from the market is key to this. Throughout the business, we have a culture of building relationships with our clients rather that looking for quick wins. Comments contrary to this in other reviews are completely inaccurate.

Cons

During a process of transition and attempt to grow, there have been changes on the floor. The company needs to now stabilise with the strong current workforce and we drive forward into new markets.

May 29, 2014Operations Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are glad to have you as part of our team - keep up the great work!

Huge mistake!

I worked at Astbury Marsden

Pros

Location
    Basic Salary is fair
    Attractive office
    Good KPI tracking software

Cons

Little industry knowledge
    Staff retention worse I have seen
    Unwelcoming atmosphere
    Commission going unpaid
    Poor processes

Work on your staff retention, that would be a start
    Hire more people with actual industry knowledge

May 29, 2014Operations Director

We're sorry to hear about your experience, but we appreciate your feedback. We are creating a summary of the reviews here on Glassdoor for executive leadership and will ensure yours is included.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not as sold

I worked at Astbury Marsden

Pros

They will hire quickly, a lot of people are offered at interview
    Good location

Cons

Poor salary bench marking
    No real industry training
    Terrible retention rate
    Confused image... Financial or Oil and Gas?

Bring very senior specialist recruiters in who can train in the industry rather then just in sales.

May 29, 2014Operations Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are sorry to hear that you feel like you did not have a good experience. We are looking at all the issues raised on glassdoor to ensure we respond to these ... More

Work hard and receive the benefits

Former Employee - Principal/Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Principal/Senior Consultant

I worked at Astbury Marsden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location and office
    Fun environment to work in
    Supportive Management team
    Great incentives to work towards
    Everyone knows everyone, no back stabbing or bitching which is quite rare in recruitment
    Increased training over 2014 based on feedback from 2013- management are listening more to the needs of current employees
    Opportunity to open new teams/desks

Cons

Sometimes the communication is lacking, this can be improved on – definitely a working progress
    If you don’t shout loud enough at times you can be missed

Need to communicate better with the floor at times, be a little more transparent and clear
    Make better use of the appraisal process so Consultants can see a clearer development path

May 29, 2014Operations Director

Thank you for your constructive review. We are currently building clear career paths and an in depth training programme for all members of staff which will address some of your concerns. We are glad ... More

Sold a dream - Horrendous place to work

I worked at Astbury Marsden

Pros

Will take anyone on short notice

Cons

Top down hierarchical structure
    Not getting paid due commission
    Amoral management team
    Unprofessional work ethic
    Unprofessional recruitment process
    Unwelcoming atmosphere
    Cowboy and aggressive sales culture
    Terrible staff retention

Please just stop

May 29, 2014Operations Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are sorry to hear that you feel like you did not have a good experience. If you could send me email we would like to address your situation. Please email ... More

Dynamic, mature working environment suited to the commercially minded

I have been working at Astbury Marsden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Throughout the last 4 years with the business I have been a part of Astbury Marsden re-inventing itself and changing with an ever evolving marketplace while still maintaining key relationships within Banking and Financial Services. Previous to my time at AM I worked for a recruitment company which was very rigid in it’s approach/ targets which stifled creativity and did not encourage you to take ownership of your business. Astbury Marsden is the complete opposite. The business actively supports entrepreneurs and allows you to really make your desk your own without someone breathing down your neck regarding KPIs. The office atmosphere is lively and fun with like-minded individuals who know how to have a good time but who are ultimately focussed on making money and growing their individual desks/teams.

Cons

I have been happy with the company, atmosphere and opportunities available

May 29, 2014Operations Director

Thank you for your review!

Exciting times ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Astbury Marsden full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having worked here for over 8years, Im compelled to share what a different business we are now, compared to when I joined. 2013 has been transformational. We've been invested in - a great reference for our potential! ...and this new investment has brought tangible benefits to working here - growth of teams; a refined, sharpened strategy and most of all, an evolving culture. The sales floor is a buzzing place more often than not, there is the snap and crackle of expectation, opportunity and ambition. In 6 short months, our business leaders have empowered us to make a difference, inspired us to achieve our potential and allowed us all to remember why we are here.

Cons

After 8 years - not many to be honest. Every business has development areas and things you;d like to see done better, it's what they do about them that count.

May 29, 2014Operations Director

We are pleased that you are enjoying your time with the business and we thank you for your hard work.

Generally a waste of time and obstacle for my career development.

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Astbury Marsden full-time

Pros

Huge, spacious office - but only because of the number of empty seats.This lowers morale in what is supposed to be a highly driven, electric, sales environment.

Cons

Incredible turnover rate of staff who have little reason to stay with the firm. The corporate structure is top heavy; there are too many managers and directors who pay themselves well while the business fails internationally. Not enough junior employees in the firm (most of the new joiners leave within a few months). Morale in the office is low; a definite lack of team spirit.

Listen to your employees when they choose to leave the firm. You might learn some valuable tips on how to rescue your business before the brand dissolves.

May 29, 2014Operations Director

I am sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with us. There are a wide range of levels in the business with a successful training programme for graduate level consultants. We have also ... More

Excellent company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Astbury Marsden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting, collaborative atmosphere, hardworking and enthusiastic colleagues as well and a positive working environment. A happy place in general to work.

Cons

No real negatives but my time there co-incided with an extremely busy market. I have led to believe things have changed somewhat.

May 29, 2014Operations Director

We are pleased that you had a positive experience with us. We wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours.

Worked for Astbury Marsden? Contribute to the Community!