Asteelflash Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
14 reviews filtered by
2.5
CEO

1. AsteelFlash is a great company on an upswing in Silicon Valley for manufacturing PCBA's and box build assemblies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Asteelflash full-time

Pros

Vast improvements in leadership are resulting in a positive work environment and strong focus on expert talent. Now offering better employee benefits as new management appears to understand the needs of the employees. Very supportive staff throughout the organization, and collaborative work environment make for a rewarding job. Also, global footprint of the company provides a key differentiator toward growth in the marketplace.

Cons

They have had a negative reputation on management in the past, but this is rapidly improving as new executive management has been put in place.

Continue efforts toward maintaining positive work environment and listening to the needs of the employees. Also the recent measures to show appreciation for the employees' efforts during the past year are a refreshing change .. please keep that up - thanks!!

2. Tough industry, poor management (when I was there), some poor performers in key positions

Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Asteelflash full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of nice and hard-working employees when I worked there. This used to be Flash Electronics (Chinese-owned) and was acquired by Asteel (French). I hope the new GM that took over in 2013 is able to steer the company toward the right path. I would like to see the company succeed.

Cons

Most of the program managers and engineers were either inexperienced or unmotivated. Team building was non-existent. However, probably due to poor compensation package, attracting high-performers were/is difficult.
    The company is in a very competitive business with very little differentiation from other CMs providing the same service.

By 2013, the company did the right thing by changing the GM. The prior GM was not much of a visionary and managed almost by threats and force, which probably resulted in his dismissal.

Invest in quality employees in key positions. Train HR to screen for better applicants.

3. Poor management

Current Intern - Intern in Fremont, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Asteelflash as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, there are a lot of room to improve... so a lot of projects and learning process.

Cons

poor top management, no resource

5. Rule by Fear is their modus operandi

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Asteelflash full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to have a family culture where everyone was close. Over the years, management changed and so did the culture. There's not any pros that I can think of.

Cons

It was definitely a pressure cooker type environment. Very stressful, people were publicly put down in front of others... LOUDLY. Long hours and consistently changing direction from upper management which makes it impossible to succeed. This is driving many people to flee the company.

Give more respect to your employees, offer more support and push to help grow your employees. This will ultimately make for a happier work environment, better support to our customers and more opportunities for pulling in more business. My hope is that senior management can help push this effort.

6. Worst company i ever worked for

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Asteelflash full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely None Company is a mess

Cons

Long hours, no respect. "Rule by fear" was the model. Metrics unattainable. Terrible upper management. You' will fear for your job every day. Company' quality and on time delivery poor. Heavy emphasis on QRQC's, which is a quick response quality control. Huge Fail ! Same issues over and over again. Very meeting intensive, "lets meet, just to have a meeting about making a meeting"

Learn what some of the best and most successful US companies do ..... Value your employees, dont rule by fear, LEARN about senior management that create hostile environments. STOP losing customers

7. A place to avoid

I worked at Asteelflash

Pros

There are none this place simply is no good

Cons

looking at this company will give you two black eyes

Would hope that you would learn that all take and no give never works. But, I doubt it.

8. Negative.An intense pressure-cooker enviroment, Non-empathetic top mgt. Did not care for American workers.

Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Asteelflash full-time

Pros

None at this stage of their development, Their aquisistion by Asteelflash France in 2012, was not succesful, did deliver positive results for bottom line nor workplace satisfaction for the employees.

Cons

Pay is low in almost every categorty except the very top senior level management. Operators and salaried staff leave constantly for better jobs and better benefits. Or the employees are dismissed because the PTO policy is so poor, they accrue attendance points. The level of employee satisfaction is very low, and there are no advocates left for the employees. The People side of Lean Manufacturing is only to monitor the metrics of their production and has nothing to do with their motivational factors and hierarchy of needs (Maslow)

Your Values are written only for the satisfaction of executive management to point that they have a values and vision statement. They are not lived by the top mgt, which does not understand that relevant values programs is is always modeled from the top down, never bottom up. I was embarrassed when I saw the Values poster go up as I know they were not lived by mgt. nor were line and salaried employees empowered to implement them.

9. should provide better benefits to employees

Former Employee - Purchasing in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Fremont, CA

I worked at Asteelflash full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a nice place to work until re-organization...

Cons

should provide better benefits to employees

should provide better benefits to employees

10. Good learning place for EMS environment

Current Employee - Manufacturing Process Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Process Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Asteelflash full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging and demanding projects to work on

Cons

Not good on salary side due to the type of business they are in

Nothing

Dissatisfying and without motivation to progress forward.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Asteelflash

Pros

Some nice people to work with.
    Hands on experience thru job tasks.
    Great doorway to the industry because you wont see anything worse.

Cons

Some very mean people to work with (mostly senior management.)
    Unreasonable amount of work for minimum pay & benefits.
    There are hardly any worse company out there.

consolidate and distribute the work evenly. be fair. GET REAL.
    don't just push push push, that's not going to get you anywhere.