Astellas Pharma US

www.astellas.us

Astellas Pharma US Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Seigo Kashii

Pros
  • Work Life Balance-hours can be long but not unmanageable (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits, pay, work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover of Senior management and having to constantly rebuild relationships (in 3 reviews)

• There is lack of leadership and absolutely no people management (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with very good future

ProsLeadership
    Great Pipeline
    Company will grow and so can a hard-worker

Conslow salary
    The role of Pharmaceutical sales reps are on the decline

Advice to Senior Managementpay better base salaries and keep good people around.

Company culture extremely insular. Strange, since it makes liberal use of contractors.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsNone ... sorry Astellas ... but I can't think of any. Real employees like the salaries and benefits ... but that's real employees. What has happened to America?

ConsTreats contractors as if they're diseased ... no cafeteria discount, no office supplies, no company-sponsored training, very little encouragement or praise, always watching, and doesn't like constructive input ...
    Political gamesmanship at a height. Can be stabbed in the back before you've even taken off your coat.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open, invite your contractors in as part of the team ... otherwise, you won't have a team working toward a common goal.

Best company I've worked for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsGreat benefits, pay, work/life balance. Astellas as a whole is a great place to work, the best company I've ever worked for.

ConsToo many management layers, too many cooks in the kitchen without trust in Subject Matter Experts. Micromanaging due to lack of confidence as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow workforce, cut down on management, and cut down on outsourcing since you get what you pay for

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Systems Managers

IT Manager (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsBenefits are very solid and the compensation is very solid.

ConsWork life balance is way more toward work than life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more resources.

Company has severely gone downhill last couple of years

Executive Professional (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay, decent products, great 401K match.

ConsSub-par management, toxic work environment, corrupt HR, poor direction, severe micro-management

Advice to Senior ManagementI was an employee for 8 years, having one multiple awards. This place has gone down severely in last couple of years, and management does not seem to care. Toxic environment, with unrealistic expectations. They prefer to manage out of fear. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Great employees and environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norman, OK

ProsAstellas is a great place to work in short term. The environment is great since everyone who works there is extremely friendly. Everyone is always willing to help no matter the situation/problem.

ConsI feel the most detrimental thing about working at Astellas is that it is extremely hard to advance your career. You will be stuck in the same position for a very long time even though you push yourself to a limit everyday.

Great Company

Professional Representative - Pcp (Current Employee)

Pros- Work-life balance is amazing
    - Money$$$, bonuses are great. Work hard sell products and get paid well for your hard work
    - Company cars are always a plus
    - Advance software programs for data/selling, great marketing pieces and Industry products

Cons- Can be political
    - The company as a whole is a great company moving in the right direction, however people point their fingers...
    - HR and managers can easily twist your arm. If you get thrown under the bus for something call Dr. Phill...

Advice to Senior ManagementMANAGE, develop, train, encourage, everything other than that needs to stop...

People under-valued

APGD Employee (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThe comp and benefits package is very good. Other nice offerings by the company include paid volunteer time off and a paid shutdown at the end of the calendar year.

ConsThe US headquarters greatly under-values people. If an employee brings a concern to HR, instead of an investigation, the employee becomes the target of abuse by management. It appears that the thought process from HR to the business unit management is to make an employee so miserable that they will leave the company. If that tactic doesn't work, Management (with the help of HR), will twist information or even blatantly lie in order to create a case of poor performance/incompetence so that employees can be terminated. Unfortunately, I have seen too many outstanding employees leave (either on their own or due to termination of employment) the company over the several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people. If someone brings a concern to management or HR, work with that person to make Astellas the great company it used to be.

Starting to go down hill

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsCompensation and benefits great, beautiful complex, great employees, fun

ConsGet stuck--few growth opportunities. "Old boy's" network at the top--no women, and some of those old boys are just plain nuts. Random, unexpected lay-offs from time to time. Your opinion and insights based on past experience are not always welcomed. They are starting to hire management from outside that is changing the company culture in a very negative way.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire/Promote women! Stop hiring ex-consultants as managers! They have a totally different mindset and culture and are ruining Astellas!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Pharmaceutical Sales

ProsGreat people and products. There are a lot of good ideas generated here. I really have enjoyed my time here.

ConsUnder new management, there have been many good and experienced representatives leaving the company. The trend is toward new, inexperienced people. It is a shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at specific areas where many people are leaving. Ask yourself why good reps with good track records are leaving.

Worked for Astellas Pharma US? Contribute to the Community!