Astellas Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
3.6
Yoshihiko Hatanaka

1. Best pharma company I have worked at.

I have been working at Astellas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company balances work life with family life. Has flexible work hours, great benefits and pay. They
     appreciate your hard work and are open to new ideas. Have been with the company several years and have no plans to go elsewhere.

Cons

Could open a few more jobs to college grads and avoid contract workers. Everyone enjoys working for this company so much, that they do not vacate their positions.

Keep up the good work.

2. Astellas

I have been working at Astellas

Pros

Very nice work environment. In general, the people are friendly and cooperative. I was there as a contractor and would have enjoyed becoming a full timer.

Cons

I don't have many negative things to report about my time there. There was a high degree of compartmentalization, and that sometimes interfered with independent problem solving efforts.

You bring in a lot of contractors. It would be beneficial to you to develop a strategy for recognizing and retaining talented, capable contractors.Many times, they are more effective than some of the full time employees that you have.

Good company overall, especially if you are not part of APGD / Clinical.

I have been working at Astellas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great facilities to work in, on-site Starbucks and fitness center available for employees only. Campus has grocery and drug store. Pantries on each floor with refrigerators, microwaves, and free coffee, tea, hot chocolate. Sick/Mother's room on each floor. Training programs offered internally for employees. Flexible start times with early off Fridays if you get your hours in. Days off for volunteer activities. Depending on what group you work in, you may be able to work at home periodically. Public transportation stop On-site. Depending on business unit you work in, (not APGD) there are external team building events for employees (Cubs, bowling, etc.) Company sponsors float in Chicago Gay Pride parade. Internal program for recognizing employee performance. Opportunity to interact with Japanese and Dutch cultures.

Cons

Organization is siloed in some areas/functions and there is a need to continue globalization of processes and functions. While the company promotes work life balance, in many cases it's lacking unless you work in HR or a similar business unit. Average work week for me is 80 hours. Plan on taking your laptop home every night and on vacations and sick days. If your business unit interacts with Japan or the EU, plan on very early/late meetings to accommodate different time zones. Work environment and corporate culture has changed greatly in the past 5 years; less interactive and collegiate. Astellas is dependent upon contract staff for clerical and key staff positions. They are extremely concerned with issues related to common law employees, sometimes to absurdity. They even have different color name tags on their doors/cubes! A scarlet letter so to speak! Contractors are excluded from many things which impacts overall morale, team environment, and work objectives.

The following comments apply to APGD/ Clinical: Contractors are viewed as disposable, so having to continually train people in a complex environment is challenging. Management in Clinical did not want contractors (some with more relevant experience than employees) performing certain duties but in most cases there are more contractors than permanent staff In a department. Results in divisive environment. Many meetings to attend so plan on getting work done after hours regardless of what they say. APGD / Clinical Development is very political and territorial. Individual performance ratings are presented to management team and "defended" - so information you might think is confidential from co-workers isn't. I have seen individual metrics posted publicly on bulletin boards for everyone to see (supposed to foster accountabilty and productivity). Low morale in Clinical Development where we were told we could not celebrate co-workers "life events" (birhdays etc.); Holiday parties and departmental pot lucks are a thing of the past (although exist elsewhere in the company). No team building activities. Lots of drama amongst senior management even after intervention with external conultants. Management by fear and intimidation in some functions. Interdepartmental cooperation not always promoted or endorsed, especially with compliance and quality functions. I was told that we don't "air our dirty laundry" after seeking input/expertise from another department. HR ineffective in dealing with bullying in the work environment. Well documented complaints by staff bullied by one manager not addressed. Eventual solution was to reward individual by promoting to an even more senior management position in another department. Hiring of staff sometimes a result of who you know rather than experience and credentials. There are certain long term employees HR seems to be afraid of handling contributing to the current environment.

Deal appropriately with bullying and interpersonal issues the work place and provide training and communication. There should be zero tolerance and employees should work in a safe and non-threatening environment. Continue to develop staff oveall including lower levels. Enhance uniformity in application of policies and procedures (e.g. work at home) across the organization. Departments should not be able to disregard other corporate norms and policies on an ad hoc basis. Address morale and negative reputation of APGD (especially clinical) so employees feel part of the larger company and be more productive. Interactions and relationships between outsourced solutions and possible conflict of interests may exist and should be monitored - eg. contracting work where senior Astellas employee was former senior management at company / outsourced solution. Hourly staff should not be managing/supervising their peers, and evaluating their performance, as in the case of at least one department.

Low quality employer

Current Employee - Urology Specialty in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Urology Specialty in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Astellas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No pension, good benefits medical

Cons

Work life balance terrible, zero opportunity for promotion, painful sales meetings , low end training

Low quality

Awful

Current Employee - Director in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Astellas

Pros

Good benefits and pay and gym

Cons

Not open to new ways of thinking

Management is awful . They tend to stick to what they know and are not open to new ideas. I would not work here if I had a choice.

Great culture and benefits with a bright future

Current Employee - Communications
    Current Employee - Communications

I have been working at Astellas full-time

Pros

outstanding benefits, flex time, and tremendous for personal and professional growth
    leadership is very invested in transparent internal/external communication

Cons

Honestly can't think of any cons

Several years of working at Astellas, enjoyed most of it

I have been working at Astellas full-time

Pros

This is the first company I have worked for in a career lasting a quarter of a century that really gives more than lip service to the professional development of its employees. Pay and benefits are among the best in the industry.

Cons

Top management is very distant - in Japan. Decisions made sometimes for frankly inscrutable reasons. Lots of outsourcing leads to high costs and loads of paper work with very little tangible benefit.

One of my better employers

Current Employee - Senior Representative in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Representative in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Astellas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair work life family balance. Total compensation package is great!

Cons

Some of the middle management is questionable

Headed in the right direction.

10. The best pharma company to work for

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Astellas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dynamic organization that listens to its sales force. Excellent corporate organization and structure. Wonderful work-life balance

Cons

Have to do things sometimes to " check a box." Legal can be a little more aggressive with marketing materials. MAP process is very cumbersome.

Upper management is great with a core focus on growth and growing business.

11. Great company to work.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative II, Specialty in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative II, Specialty in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Astellas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pipeline of great products in urology & oncology
    Promote from within
    Good balance between work & family

Cons

I do not have any at this time.

Continue to listen to your employees. Several companies have failed when they failed to find value in employee's opinions.