Astonish

www.astonish.com

Astonish Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014

John Boudreau

Awesome company to work for

ProsExcellent growth opportunities, caring competent and effective management team, great vision, all around an awesome place to work

ConsNot a whole lot, the product has some poor reviews due to former management and sales tactics, but all of that has been dramatically improved

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Awful place to work unless you are desperate.

(Former Employee) Warwick, RI

ProsGreat people work there and the work is generally fun. I learned quite a bit and got some great experience. They are still hiring people, which is admirable I guess.

ConsThe owners are just in it for the money and if they could have been profitable, they would have sold. The lie constantly and really don't care about their employees. I preferred to be jobless over working there after a year.

Luckily most of the initial investors / owners have been pushed out. Sadly, the CEO isn't cut out for this line of work and anyone who knows him would agree. I don't know any former employees who like John Boudreau or speak highly of him. They broke the number 1 rule in management "Take care of your people". Anyone who is good has already ran for the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to people who know how to run a business and go back to selling commercial property or chemistry.

Like volunteering

ProsGood entry level experience
    Great health care and 401k

ConsWorkload
    Balance of work
    Unreasonable deadlines
    Over promise, under deliver from management
    Lost upper management
    Uncertainty as a company with direction
    Pay is the biggest disappointment with Astonish, most are not paid rate for the job they are tasked with. Pay issues has been addressed over and over with no result or change in the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want retention please just look at current salaries of the company, and fix them. Too many people put their blood, sweat and tears in this company and struggle with pay. Don't take advantage of a weak economy to pay less. Compensate for the work that is being done by your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you aspire to live in Rhode Island for the rest of your life, this is the place for you!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's laid back. Easy to do.

ConsPays terribly. No room for promotion. The company is not doing well financially. No perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow come Adam DeGraide didn't take the $100 million he got in the BZ Results sale and open a company in Greater Boston? Astonish misses out on first rate talent by being in Warwick, RI. That's why companies like HubSpot own them.

Great place to gain experience and enjoy a relaxed company culture

Senior Digital Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsBeing one of the initial team members to kickoff a new division could be challenging at time. I had to wear many hats and play different roles where needed. Never-the-less, I wouldn't give it back b/c it allows me to stay current in this ever changing world of digital marketing. I can say I'm pretty well versed in every aspect of digital marketing; from creating mobile apps, website design modifications, logo creation, SEM, SEO etc.

The best part about working at Astonish are the personable people, management and peers. I'm sure that I will remain in contact with them all even as I move on to other career opps. Additionally, I enjoy the free culture that exists, allowing you to think outside the box. Finally, I had the chance to be apart of progressive movement and enjoying the gratification of rapid growth and change. It allowed me to grow professionally.

ConsIf I could name one con, it would be that I would have loved to have a higher compensation package.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith rapid growth its easy to get caught up in corporate role playing. As with many of the successful brands, its important to stay relevant. "Don't get lost in the sauce." Never forget to reward great work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company with bright future!

RFM (Current Employee) Warwick, RI

ProsAmazing training, challenging environment, great culture

ConsStart up growing pains, difficult clients

A Creative Environment with Many Rewards

ProsWhy I Came to Astonish
    I have a lot of experience in my field. I have been doing this work for over a decade. At my last job I excelled, ran a team, and made our clients very happy. However, there was something missing. I had no challenges and I wanted to be apart of a team, where I knew I wasn't the smartest person in my field. I wanted to be surrounded by talented, intelligent and driven people. I found that at Astonish. The owners at Astonish assembled an amazing team of Executives. Together the Owners and Executives were able to hire so many awesome people and today our team is big, powerful and motivated.

Work
    In the last 10 years I've worked for large fortune 500 companies, non profit organizations, and small advertising agencies. However, I have never worked at a company where I had the ability to enact so much change. I am coming up on my 1 year mark, and I know I have made a difference at Astonish, but it doesn't end there. I know I have made a difference in the Insurance Industry. I am proud of the work I have done, contributed to, and see my teammates accomplish.

Culture
    Astonish harbors an environment of creativity. We are all working together to create an amazing workplace and to develop a unique and fun culture. We recently hired a new Executive of HR and her #1 initiative is to create transparency in communication from everyone to everyone, and to create a work environment we're all proud to be apart of. In the next 6 months I expect to see some changes but they are going to make everything that is good about Astonish, great.

ConsThere is no company that is absolutely perfect. Companies are run by humans and humans make mistakes. The great thing is Astonish and everyone working there do their best to learn from those mistakes and not make them again. We are moving forward as a team.

I am so excited about the future and plan on being at Astonish for a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on this path of transparency. It helps to foster open communication.

Growth stage company with good opportunities & learning experience

(Current Employee)

ProsI like working for Astonish and it has been a very rewarding experience for me personally. The company is going through a rapid growth phase that has created a lot of new opportunities. Astonish has a very fast paced work environment and they are also hiring aggressively in RI. In summary, Astonish has a good work environment and with many chances to prove yourself.

ConsAt Astonish, you need to manage your work life balance. It's very easy to take work home with you!

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the new employee on-boarding process and spend more time in upfront training.

Opportunity and Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warwick, RI

ProsAstonish gives those that work there the opportunity to grow in their career path, you just have to work for it, which in most companies is the case. You can take projects here that you might not be able to at a larger company, and spear head projects that will help make big changes for the clients. The culture and the people are by far the best part. Everyone is willing to help each other, and everyone is extremely friendly and passionate about what they do. Great benefits for all employees. The company is moving in the right direction overall, and the management teams to the C suite all work hard towards this common goal.

If you are not passionate about your job and the results you produce then the culture might not be for you.

ConsSome areas of the company have more room for growth than others, depending on your position.

Great coworkers, terrible management, horrible pay, and no recognition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Warwick, RI

ProsYou'll meet some great people at this company - as long as they're on your level. Don't expect to be friends with management, or anyone who is above you. Also, benefits are amazing - they pay for everything (even deductibles) and match 401k. If you are organized, you can typically come in at 8 and leave right at 5, taking a lunch break somewhere during the day.

Cons- Pay: Everyone knows what everyone else makes (there are no secrets at Astonish, so don't go to any of the managers, executives, or HR about an issue and expect it to stay confidential), so when you find out that someone at your same level in a different department is making 4x what you make, it's frustrating, especially when you're told how incredibly important your department is to the success of Astonish. Expect to start at $30k, which isn't enough to live in Rhode Island and not overdraw your bank account to pay your rent each month (I speak from experience).
    - No recognition: Don't expect to be thanked for a job well done, and don't expect anyone to care if you do a good job or just do enough to get by. They actually prefer the latter, so they can load you with more work. The executives won't even know your name (even though it's a small enough company), and they'll tell you they don't know who you are or what you do.
    - Management - This goes for all levels of management, from C-level all the way down to the bottom: it's awful. They don't care about their team, and no one is organized enough to keep their teams on track.
    - No room for growth: You will not grow at this company. If you choose to work with Astonish (which you may be forced to do because the job market in Rhode Island is horrible), just understand that you will never get a promotion. You will be in your starting position for the rest of your time at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on making Astonish a good place (even a TOLERABLE place) to work. Right now, your employees dread coming to work. They won't tell you, though, because you're not open to feedback and you're never around.

Worked for Astonish? Contribute to the Community!