Astoria Financial

Great people

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Astoria Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are friendly
    Low-stress work environment for corporate offices
    Loads of training

Cons

The pay
    Compensation could be better
    Not too much room for mobility

Offer better pay and incentives to employees

A very confused company.

Former Employee - Retail Banking Office
    Former Employee - Retail Banking Office

I worked at Astoria Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

One of the better parts of working for Astoria is the compensation package. You get 11 holidays off with pay as well as paid sick, personal and vacation time.

Cons

This bank makes too many changes too quickly. There was very little opportunity for career advancement when you hit a certain point at the retail branch level, as the bank doesn't appear to be willing to promote from within into Branch Manager positions, but chooses instead to hire from the outside. They have their focus on pushing the "commericial banking" concept on "savings bank" employees, and if you don't fall in line with the new direction, there is no room for you within the organization any longer. They expect your committment to be 100%, but they show absolutely no loyalty back to their employees.

Consider your front line employees to be of high value to the success of your company. Do not discount their opinions. Listen to them with an open mind, you may find that they can offer some insight to the "out of touch" suits that run the corporate office. Your goals are unrealistic and you have Regional Managers that rule through intimidation. I was once very happy to work for Astoria Federal, but now, I could not be happier that I am separated from this organization.

it was good.

Current Employee - Teller  in  Williston Park, NY
    Current Employee - Teller in Williston Park, NY

I have been working at Astoria Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good hours and decent pay.

Cons

Technology is outdated and to many politics to move up.

upgrade the technology and be more competitive on your salary.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cant Complain

Former Employee - Telephone Banking  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Telephone Banking in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Astoria Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly work enivornment, great company values

Cons

low pay, not so good hours

Run, don't walk away from working here

Former Employee - Manager  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Astoria Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice coworkers that tried really hard to do a good job

Cons

Low pay compared to competing banks, little chance for advancement, no ability to make decisions - everything must be approved by many levels before you get an answer even for minor things

Company is changing rapidly

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker  in  Middle Village, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Middle Village, NY

I have been working at Astoria Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

friendly staff, quick promotions at lower level positons because they need staff

Cons

dead end path, not considered for management if inside employee, no pension, no ESOP, too fast paced change, poor systems

consider new systems, hiring from within, stop hiring all new capital one ex management

A employee friendly work place.

Former Employee - Teller, Research Specialist  in  Floral Park, NY
    Former Employee - Teller, Research Specialist in Floral Park, NY

I worked at Astoria Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation could be better but there is scope for growth. Working hours are great, and there is flexibility at work as far as management is concerned.

Cons

Benefits are not so appealing. You are allowed to apply to outside departments which enables a progress in career. There is pressure to sell for all levels of employees in the front end.

Need a better standard of salary offered in order to retain hardworking employees.

The Worst Place to Work For

I worked at Astoria Financial

Pros

Nothing, this company doesn't value its employees. It's all about keeping customers and Selling them stuff they already have.

Cons

Long Hours, No Benefits, The Company is stuck in the 70's & 80's. Communication is still done with paper, this Bank needs to Upgrade it's entire staff and technology.

Diversify your ways. Develop a team dedicated to new improvements. Employees don't want to work somewhere without benefits. The pay is terrible for the amount of work required.

If you have any intelligence or ambition, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF WORKING HERE!

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Astoria Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a paycheck. Just make sure you pay attention to your pay stub because the payroll department often makes mistakes.

Cons

Change is non-existent. They are so far behind the times it's scary. I worked at Lake Success in the basement that resembled a cave with an 8" high brick wall for a view, dim fluorescent lighting, with walls that hadn't seen paint in years and artwork that looked like it came from a 1970's children's storybook. I would fantasize about painting the walls because of all the scuff marks on the walls. No internet connection so you were cut off from civilization. But really, it's only the company headquarters why invest into making it look half any decent.

Not given enough work or proper training. For example, image someone teaching you how to drive a car. Somehow this training translates into now you are expected to know how to rebuild an engine even though you've never done that or been hired to do that. What do you mean you don't know how to rebuild an engine but I showed you a video on where the engine is. What are you stupid or something? That's the mentality of Astoria federal savings.

HIGH turnover. Half of my department quit, left or was fired the first year I was there. When changes were made to improve how vacation time was accrued, it wasn't thought out very well so that people who were hired earlier were screwed over. If you donated blood during the blood drive, you were supposed to get a 1/2 day off to use in the future but you couldn't use it for months until you donated a 2nd time half a year later. Not a lot of thought was given to any employee benefits. The employee handbook was being revised for over 6 months.

Astoria federal savings tagline is "Putting people first." The company doesn't care about it's employees at all. The company has no identity and hires new managers that have terrible people skills that are afraid to make decisions. The company doesn't listen to it's customers and has zero consistency with it's marketing. I am so much happier now that I don't work there.

Changing for worse

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Astoria Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, most customers are friendly. Training classes pretty good. Hours started off great, but are now increasing dramatically with no increase in pay.

Cons

Frequent layoffs. Sales goals are strict and unrealistic when you see the same customers everyday. No room for advancement if you live outside the Queens/LI area. The company is constantly several years behind competitors in products and technology and therefore playing catch-up. Pay is ridiculously low. I have almost seven years experience and still make less than entry-level wages elsewhere for my position. Constant sales pressure and call nights (even for tellers!)

Stop trying to compete with Chase, TD and other big-name banks. This company could be at the top of the middle-market, community-type banks. Instead, they are aiming way too high with its new direction and will ultimately fail.

Worked for Astoria Financial? Contribute to the Community!