Astoria Financial

Add Photos

it was good.

Teller (Current Employee)
    Williston Park, NY

ProsGood hours and decent pay.

ConsTechnology is outdated and to many politics to move up.

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade the technology and be more competitive on your salary.

Cant Complain

Telephone Banking (Former Employee)
    Lake Success, NY

ProsFriendly work enivornment, great company values

Conslow pay, not so good hours

Run, don't walk away from working here

Manager (Former Employee)
    Lake Success, NY

ProsNice coworkers that tried really hard to do a good job

ConsLow pay compared to competing banks, little chance for advancement, no ability to make decisions - everything must be approved by many levels before you get an answer even for minor things

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company is changing rapidly

Licensed Personal Banker (Current Employee)
    Middle Village, NY

Prosfriendly staff, quick promotions at lower level positons because they need staff

Consdead end path, not considered for management if inside employee, no pension, no ESOP, too fast paced change, poor systems

Advice to Senior Managementconsider new systems, hiring from within, stop hiring all new capital one ex management

A employee friendly work place.

Teller, Research Specialist (Former Employee)
    Floral Park, NY

ProsCompensation could be better but there is scope for growth. Working hours are great, and there is flexibility at work as far as management is concerned.

ConsBenefits are not so appealing. You are allowed to apply to outside departments which enables a progress in career. There is pressure to sell for all levels of employees in the front end.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a better standard of salary offered in order to retain hardworking employees.

The Worst Place to Work For

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing, this company doesn't value its employees. It's all about keeping customers and Selling them stuff they already have.

ConsLong Hours, No Benefits, The Company is stuck in the 70's & 80's. Communication is still done with paper, this Bank needs to Upgrade it's entire staff and technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your ways. Develop a team dedicated to new improvements. Employees don't want to work somewhere without benefits. The pay is terrible for the amount of work required.

If you have any intelligence or ambition, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF WORKING HERE!

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Lake Success, NY

ProsIt's a paycheck. Just make sure you pay attention to your pay stub because the payroll department often makes mistakes.

ConsChange is non-existent. They are so far behind the times it's scary. I worked at Lake Success in the basement that resembled a cave with an 8" high brick wall for a view, dim fluorescent lighting, with walls that hadn't seen paint in years and artwork that looked like it came from a 1970's children's storybook. I would fantasize about painting the walls because of all the scuff marks on the walls. No internet connection so you were cut off from civilization. But really, it's only the company headquarters why invest into making it look half any decent.

Not given enough work or proper training. For example, image someone teaching you how to drive a car. Somehow this training translates into now you are expected to know how to rebuild an engine even though you've never done that or been hired to do that. What do you mean you don't know how to rebuild an engine but I showed you a video on where the engine is. What are you stupid or something? That's the mentality of Astoria federal savings.

HIGH turnover. Half of my department quit, left or was fired the first year I was there. When changes were made to improve how vacation time was accrued, it wasn't thought out very well so that people who were hired earlier were screwed over. If you donated blood during the blood drive, you were supposed to get a 1/2 day off to use in the future but you couldn't use it for months until you donated a 2nd time half a year later. Not a lot of thought was given to any employee benefits. The employee handbook was being revised for over 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementAstoria federal savings tagline is "Putting people first." The company doesn't care about it's employees at all. The company has no identity and hires new managers that have terrible people skills that are afraid to make decisions. The company doesn't listen to it's customers and has zero consistency with it's marketing. I am so much happier now that I don't work there.

Changing for worse

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, most customers are friendly. Training classes pretty good. Hours started off great, but are now increasing dramatically with no increase in pay.

ConsFrequent layoffs. Sales goals are strict and unrealistic when you see the same customers everyday. No room for advancement if you live outside the Queens/LI area. The company is constantly several years behind competitors in products and technology and therefore playing catch-up. Pay is ridiculously low. I have almost seven years experience and still make less than entry-level wages elsewhere for my position. Constant sales pressure and call nights (even for tellers!)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to compete with Chase, TD and other big-name banks. This company could be at the top of the middle-market, community-type banks. Instead, they are aiming way too high with its new direction and will ultimately fail.

Great people, Bad pay

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Lake Success, NY

ProsGreat people. Relatively low stress environment. Strong sense of teamwork.

ConsThe pay. The company is also unstable because they always do layoffs.

Licensed Personal Banker

Licensed Personal Banker (Current Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsGood team at the branch, easy customers

ConsBranch closes too early, lack of new customers , no incentive per products sold

Worked for Astoria Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Astoria Financial reviews and ratings. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Astoria Financial employees.